Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Still keeping the faith with Potter?

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Yup, he's overhauled how we played almost overnight. Another summer transfer window could be exciting. I don't think we're going down, we'll be close but not relegated. We've had a tough run of games and in the most heavily congested part of the season and we're not in the relegation zone. That's pretty good in my books.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Naylor reckons the club will be going over-seas for a striker in January. They are being careful with Connolly and know they are relying on Maupay too much. Will also be up to Murray if he wants to go out on loan or not

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Naylor reckons the club will be going over-seas for a striker in January. They are being careful with Connolly and know they are relying on Maupay too much. Will also be up to Murray if he wants to go out on loan or not

Potter saying it’s Murray’s choice if he goes or not suggests someone is already lined up as no way would we let Murray go and leave our only striking options as Maupay and Connelly

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I think the BBC report on the match yesterday sums up quite nicely what's happening at the moment.

This felt like a typical Brighton performance throughout, one brimming with promise and endeavour but ultimately lacking the cutting edge required for them to profit from their free-flowing passing.

Lets hope we can get a clinical finisher in during the January window, and we'll be absolutely fine.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Totally agree. I’ve always rated Stephens for us but I’m concerned about him in this team now.

Perhaps it’s easier to see when you’re standing behind the goal we’re defending, but there were so many times in the second half yesterday when Spurs made a big effort to close us down when the ball was with Ryan/Webster/Duffy/Burn/Schelotto and committed three or four men to do it. To our credit, we didn’t mess it up once. We always managed to find the midfield. But in Pep’s team, they would be finding De Bruyne and he would drive forward or fire long passes out to the attackers. In our team, we’re finding Stephens and he’s taking three or four touches before passing it sideways. That delay in moving the ball is what allowed the three or four Spurs players who were out of the game back into position, eliminating the advantage we’d created for ourselves.

Obviously I know we aren’t going to sign anyone half as good as De Bruyne! I’m just saying that’s the style of player we need in such an important position.

Bissouma is markedly different when he gets it - always seems to want to drive forward.........he's not reliable enough defensively yet to take on the Stephens role though and probably takes a few too many risks.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm still in. We've been 'in' games far more than we were last season and whilst it is frustrating that we don't seem as 'solid' as we used to be, I feel more confident about us scoring when we push forward.

Saying that, we do need a couple of players in Jan but I'm not overly concerned. New manager, new way of playing - it's almost like it's our 1st season in the PL again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm still in. We've been 'in' games far more than we were last season and whilst it is frustrating that we don't seem as 'solid' as we used to be, I feel more confident about us scoring when we push forward.

Saying that, we do need a couple of players in Jan but I'm not overly concerned. New manager, new way of playing - it's almost like it's our 1st season in the PL again.

Good way of looking at it..............sometimes have to take a step backwards to take 3 steps forward, but in fact we we haven't really - we've managed to be more or less equal to the reasonable first half of last season from a points perspective whilst completely changing the style of play to something much more promising longer term and infinitely better to watch. If we can stay up (I think we will fairly comfortably), and give GP another 3+ transfer windows to get the squad as he would like it then we'll be very well positioned.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Agree he has potential and some of the skills required. I actually wouldn’t worry too much about him defensively, by far his best game for us was at home to Palace when he was an absolute beast in a defensive role. My concern with him is whether he has the ability to look up and play the right pass.

Not forgetting how good Bissouma was away to Palace recently too. I wouldn’t be concerned about playing him in that role alongside intelligent players like Propper, Mooy and Alzate. In that Palace game for example, when Bissouma did go forward, Propper dropped in to cover superbly. Defensivey Bissouma has a canny knack of nicking the ball off players too as well as being strong and quick.

I hope to see that midfield that started away to Palace starting this Saturday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not forgetting how good Bissouma was away to Palace recently too. I wouldn’t be concerned about playing him in that role alongside intelligent players like Propper, Mooy and Alzate. In that Palace game for example, when Bissouma did go forward, Propper dropped in to cover superbly. Defensivey Bissouma has a canny knack of nicking the ball off players too as well as being strong and quick.

I hope to see that midfield that started away to Palace starting this Saturday.

Propper and Bissouma worked really well together away at Palace.......Propper probably having his best game for us. As [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] says Biss needs to work on his decision making (although at some point one of his 30 yard efforts is going to fly into the top corner) but a team that somehow includes Propper, Mooy, Alzate and Bissouma would be good to see.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
If God forbid we went down playing this way I would still be happy with the style and the entertainment.
Light years away from how turgid and boring we were last season.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I think the BBC report on the match yesterday sums up quite nicely what's happening at the moment.

Lets hope we can get a clinical finisher in during the January window, and we'll be absolutely fine.

Agree with this:

"...ultimately lacking the cutting edge required for them to profit from their free-flowing passing."

Teams are setting up very tight against us recently and we are really struggling to find a way through, around or over.

Sometimes think Trossard is best able to open up the defence, other times not.

I think Mooy and/or Propper (and Dunk) have this ability too, albeit from a good pass, but it isn't coming together at the moment for some reason.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
If God forbid we went down playing this way I would still be happy with the style and the entertainment.
Light years away from how turgid and boring we were last season.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I agree , Potterball is a long term project and i for one won't be calling for his head if we did get relegated , it's so refreshing to see us playing football again .

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
We have a PL set up at the club and I do not foresee TB accepting us playing attractive football in the Championship. £60million odd was spent on summer transfers plus a pay off to CH, plus compensation to Swansea. I believe TB demands survival with a smile and GP knows he has to deliver this. The particularly interesting bit for me his how much faith TB will have in GP, for this is going to be tested.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
We have a PL set up at the club and I do not foresee TB accepting us playing attractive football in the Championship. £60million odd was spent on summer transfers plus a pay off to CH, plus compensation to Swansea. I believe TB demands survival with a smile and GP knows he has to deliver this. The particularly interesting bit for me his how much faith TB will have in GP, for this is going to be tested.

Well, he extended his contract, so I can only assume he has rather a lot of faith in him.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Great way of putting it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here