Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sticky: waste of time

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is anyone else getting pissed off with the number of stickies on this board? The idea behind them is to ensure they get priority viewing but when you have EIGHT, this is a bit counter productive. I can honestly say that I rarely open them these days.

Could I propose just a single sticky containing several links to threads in a new "Important Announcements" forum?

Just interested to see what others think before I PM Bozza or any other mod...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Can we make this a sticky?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Dick Knights Mumm said:
He's back ........................ by the way how are my tickets for the American Football coming along ?
They're in the post...I really shouldn't be back y'know, work's going to kill me...but it's irresistable. :(

rool

Jul 10, 2003
They mainly don't bother me although once there was about half a page of them. Sometimes I wonder why some stuff is made a sticky (Australia meet ups) when others (Irish meet ups) don't get the same treatment. Maybe it's a case of just asking.

Get rid of that ask the club bit at the top though, seems a waste of space now.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I've been ignoring them for months now. Pretty much since the free $75 bet one stayed up there for ages (not even sure but it may still be there).

Sticky's are there for mildly important events, Announcements are for mega important stuff. Must Forums run that Announcements are above Sticky's which are in turn above the usual shit. This place seems to make things Sticky's 'coz the MODS have sod all else to do.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
They're in the post... :(
Don't forget mine! After all, I asked first!

BTW before we get completely off-topic I agree with Simster on the stickies. When there's more than about six you think you know what they are all on so you don't bother looking. Then an important (or interesting) one is added and you miss it.

EDIT: Just had a quick look at the current ones and there are I think three new ones since I last looked! (Seagulls over London, No boundaries and a cancelled golf day) However I'll stick my neck out and say none are really worth 'sticking'.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Simster said:
I can honestly say that I rarely open them these days.

Me too!! I had no idea about Frank and BoF's sterling efforts in organising a charity trip as it was a sticky - I stumbled across it by luck more than anything!!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Re: Re: Sticky: waste of time

tedebear said:
Me too!! I had no idea about Frank and BoF's sterling efforts in organising a charity trip as it was a sticky - I stumbled across it by luck more than anything!!
Only reason I knew about it was because of this thread making me look at the sticky ones (ooh err).

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I agree. I never look at the stickies, I just scroll past them. I've got no idea what any of them are for.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've just opened one: 'No Boundaries - The Expedition'. I thought it was about some NSC-clique day out to the cricket and it's actually some charitable expedition to India!

Possibly that's worthy - but the other are either too minor (NSC football match, Seagulls over London, Goldstone items sale, etc) or are the equivalent of putting the Christmas decorations up in September (K.M. testimonial).

Perhaps the mods could have a rule - no more than two stickies at a time. Less danger then of important ones getting overlooked amongst the mundane.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is sticky season Campers and yes 6 are REMF related by all important topics. I believe Bozza is looking and incorporating the stickies in 1 big sticky. The game is 2 weeks away and after that the REMF stickies will not incovenience you further and the 1 second you took to scroll down past the stickies will be saved. :p

There are several reasons for making a post Sticky:-

1. The information / topic is important;

AND

2. The thread merits long life, but isn't necessarily going to attract replies sufficiently frequently to keep it close to the top of the board through natural causes;

AND

3. Someone has asked for it to be stuck.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My vote it oo leave the stickies as they are. I am not sure about 1 big sticky but its up to the Mods. I personally believe moving these to the REMF area for the time being is a mistake as the through traffic will be 1% of the main board and we will miss all the visitors who log into the main baord and may or may not view the stickies and quite frankly I cannot see what the massive inconvenience it is to anyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here