Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewards Today at Leeds

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Crikey. A lot of brainless twats at away games across the country then. :facepalm:

15,000 in The Kop every other week.
4,000 in the Wigan away end earlier today.
4,000 at Villa last month.
hundreds of thousands around the country every week in the 60's/70's/80's.

Those bloody brainless twats enjoying themselves creating a better atmosphere standing up. How ruddy DARE they :angry:

Alternatively you have the rights and avenues to fight it in this country. Unfortunately all the "I hate f'cking sitting down" mob seem unable to comprehend that they could, if they so desired, campaign against the all seater rule. Instead they choose the "igonre the stewards or tell them to f*** off" route - it will achieve nothing and also shows them to be brainless twats.

Don't mean to be rude but why do you feel the need to comment on every thread with the word steward in the title and invariably defending your previous career-choice?

You weren't there to see it, other posters were yet you post with all the authority of one who was. NMH does that too. Admittedly, you're a lot more reasonable than that fruitloop but it does get tiresome hearing you trot out the party line.

This quite frankly ridiculous law is routinely ignored throughout the land because it poses absolutely no risk. Occasionally it is enforced (usually disproportionately). People are entitled to grumble, matey.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Crikey. A lot of brainless twats at away games across the country then. :facepalm:

15,000 in The Kop every other week.
4,000 in the Wigan away end earlier today.
4,000 at Villa last month.
hundreds of thousands around the country every week in the 60's/70's/80's.

Those bloody brainless twats enjoying themselves creating a better atmosphere standing up. How ruddy DARE they :angry:

Nicely put :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
......This quite frankly ridiculous law is routinely ignored throughout the land because it poses absolutely no risk....... [/QUOTE]

Exactly !

Having seats merely means that no area of the ground will be dangerously overcrowded because clubs can only sell the number of tickets that match the number of seats.

Standing in seated areas poses no safety risk whatsoever and sensible clubs/stewards know this. Sensible clubs/stewards also know that unallocated seating will pretty much sort out any arguments, with those that want to stand going towards the back and those that want to sit going towards the front. Where twatery ensues from either stubborn standers or seaters, a switched on steward using common sense should be able to sort it out with a friendly chat.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This was the main reason I did not bother going this year as the stewards are bloody awful there.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
The people who are really to blame for all this sitting or standing palarva is of course the bloody hooligans of the 70s and 80s, cos if they hadnt been such a serious problem in that period with fences being put up everywhere and clubs forced to treat fans like caged animals then we wouldnt have had the hillsborough disaster that instigated the all seater rule in the first place, and the very sad demise of the terrace.

With some proper safeguards like all-ticket entry for a terraced stand to prove no overcrowding I really dont see the problem with bringing them back but it would take a garguantuan effort from loads of factions within football and it will never happen, but i love going to eastbourne boro cos you can still stand and would love to buy a ticket for the away end at peterboro if/when we play them again cos its so great. So it is possible to stand at some football matches in this country even now, which does rather make a mockery of the stadiums that are forced to all-seat. If we bought back even one terraced stand for each ground, then most of us could be accommodated for their preference to stand.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
The people who are really to blame for all this sitting or standing palarva is of course the bloody hooligans of the 70s and 80s, cos if they hadnt been such a serious problem in that period with fences being put up everywhere and clubs forced to treat fans like caged animals then we wouldnt have had the hillsborough disaster that instigated the all seater rule in the first place, and the very sad demise of the terrace.

With some proper safeguards like all-ticket entry for a terraced stand to prove no overcrowding I really dont see the problem with bringing them back but it would take a garguantuan effort from loads of factions within football and it will never happen, but i love going to eastbourne boro cos you can still stand and would love to buy a ticket for the away end at peterboro if/when we play them again cos its so great. So it is possible to stand at some football matches in this country even now, which does rather make a mockery of the stadiums that are forced to all-seat. If we bought back even one terraced stand for each ground, then most of us could be accommodated for their preference to stand.

And Exeter, Brentford, Bristol Rovers, Yeovil from this leauge..

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Standing in seated areas poses no safety risk whatsoever

Unless a goal is scored, or a nasty challenge goes in, or some other incident occurs within the game, which rouses the crowd gets them jumping around in an area they don't have room for such action, or causing them to try to climb over rows of chairs while also trying to push through a crowd of people to get to the front of the stand where a player has come to celebrate/gloat

Now you're scaremongering. How many goals are scored at grounds where people stand and how often do you hear of ANY injuries?

If it happened even infrequently then all those places where they let people stand would definitely enforce the rule. Their insurance companies would demand it.

Please, leave the hyperbole to the likes of NMH.

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
Unless a goal is scored, or a nasty challenge goes in, or some other incident occurs within the game, which rouses the crowd gets them jumping around in an area they don't have room for such action, or causing them to try to climb over rows of chairs while also trying to push through a crowd of people to get to the front of the stand where a player has come to celebrate/gloat

If they were sitting down the would jump up and do the same. :shrug:

The Phoenix

May 20, 2009
Eagle eyed view of you...
Possibly, I'm just pointing out there are risks to standing up in seated areas.

Are you? I haven't seen you do so, I've just seen you post a situation which has been pointed out to be irrelevant, as people don't stay seated when celebrating.

What REAL risks do I take when standing at a football game then, rather than sitting down?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
They are risks. They my be minor, maybe only result in bruises, or soreness, maybe just a scrape, the sort of minor things that nobody bothers reporting, but they are risks.

There is the risk of it being worse. Just because it hasn't hapened yet, doesn't mean the risk doesn't exist.

The poster I quoted was suggesting there are no risks whatsoever. There are.

If you sit down, when we score you jump straight up. If you're stood up, you're more inclined to jump around, jump sideways. Standing up you are more likely to forget the seats are there when you impulsively try to move forward to the front of the stand.

Are major injuries common? No. Did I specify major injuries? No. It is a risk that exists, a risk that is increased by people standing. A major risk? I never said that. Like I said, I'm just pointing out that risks do exist.

Feb 15, 2010
From a different point of view, I was sat in the South stand next to the away end as I went with someone who was a Leeds fan. The stewards occasionally told people to sit down but not with the same persistance that they did to Brighton fans. What troubled me was the hatred some of the Leeds fans had. Surely it is not right for the stewards to stand by and listen to the racial and homophobic abuse, especially when there were quite a few children sat around. Spoke to one Dad before the game who was taking his little boy to his first Leeds game. Sure he was very proud!
On the positive side, it was lovely listening to the Leeds fans remembering the good old days and how they should be beating teams like Brighton. It was really hard work when we got the penalty and agreeing with a local knucklehead that Murray was definately not in t'box!

Thats why we're Leeds scum, we are homophobic knuckledraggers who assault the handicapped :rolleyes:

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
Thats why we're Leeds scum, we are homophobic knuckledraggers who assault the handicapped :rolleyes:

Blimey! This must be the most accurate and honest comment you've made on our site. Your Mum must be so proud.

Hang on I'll take my knob out of her mouth and ask her.

The Phoenix

May 20, 2009
Eagle eyed view of you...
They are risks. They my be minor, maybe only result in bruises, or soreness, maybe just a scrape, the sort of minor things that nobody bothers reporting, but they are risks.

There is the risk of it being worse. Just because it hasn't hapened yet, doesn't mean the risk doesn't exist.

The poster I quoted was suggesting there are no risks whatsoever. There are.

If you sit down, when we score you jump straight up. If you're stood up, you're more inclined to jump around, jump sideways. Standing up you are more likely to forget the seats are there when you impulsively try to move forward to the front of the stand.

Are major injuries common? No. Did I specify major injuries? No. It is a risk that exists, a risk that is increased by people standing. A major risk? I never said that. Like I said, I'm just pointing out that risks do exist.

If there's no major risk, then there's no reason to prevent people from doing it. There's a risk that I might fall down the steps on the way to my seat. Should that mean that supporters should be banned from attending games? No, this stuff is nonsense, and treats people like idiots if you think people can't look after themselves just standing up in one spot. Minor risks are not worth bothering avoiding. Do you really think that when stewards tell people to sit down, it's because they're worried about people getting bruises if someone scores? They're just on a power trip, and don't have much to do these days now football violence is rare.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I do agree that seats can be a prob / MINOR risk....and that's why we should take them out of designated areas so that I can enjoy goin to games as I used to in newly installed German style safe standing areas.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Oh and Hillsborough happened primarily because of incompetant and criminally negligent policing leading to inappropriately large numbers of people being funnelled into one area.

Decrepid though the grounds were in those days (and fencing indeed contributing significantly to the disaster), even that wouldn't have caused deaths if the event was simply organised properly!

I despise sitting at football. It is an entirely foreign and unnatural concept for me and many thousands of others who want to:

a) enjoy creating an atmosphere
b) shuffle from foot to foot as we absorb the tension of the game
c) pick our exact spot for the game at will (AND short notice if we so wish)
d) stay warm.....my legs would stay dryer and I would be able to stomp my feet to help stay warm - especially at the roofless Withdean.
e) not have to fart about with seats flopping up and down every time we have a goal chance.

I seriously object to being told how to watch the game. It is a simple pleasure that does NOT require sitting down, so why shouldn't I be allowed?!

There is no valid argument against safe standing whatsoever, so why, after all the campaining we as Albion fans have already been forced to do in order to simply see our club survive at all, should we now have to lobby (probably unsuccessfully so) a disinterested political nobody into helping us achieve a basic restoration to football viewing normality?

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
:drool: Why can the Germans do it but not us? :down:

Attachments

• 050BorussiaDortmund.jpg
    050BorussiaDortmund.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 131

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here