Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stevenage v Brighton U23/21/over 25s The EFL Checkatrade Trophy 19.45 Ko

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I thought all academy games were away due to club's not knowing whether to use their home ground for small attendances.

It's good to go into the final group match with a decent chance of qualification.

That might be true. But im pretty sure it is being played at Crawley not the AMEX.

Still find it weird that our under 23s play there when Crawley Council were so unhelpful when we were looking to play there. However im sure it now suits us to.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
That might be true. But im pretty sure it is being played at Crawley not the AMEX.

Still find it weird that our under 23s play there when Crawley Council were so unhelpful when we were looking to play there. However im sure it now suits us to.

Argus match report says Amex for Orient match.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
But im pretty sure it is being played at Crawley not the AMEX.

Argus match report says Amex for Orient match.

It is definitely being played at the Amex. It is a requirement of the rules of the competition:-

Arrangement of Fixtures

Immediately after each draw is made, notice shall be given to each Club of the name of its opponent, together with a note of the week in which the tie is to be played.

The actual date of the tie shall be determined by the League after consultation with both Clubs involved.

Matches may not be postponed due to Players having been called up to play for their national association’s representative matches.

All Matches (other than the final) shall unless otherwise agreed by the League (in its absolute discretion) be played at the venue registered by the Home Club:

in the case of EFL Clubs, pursuant to Regulation 13.6; and

in the case of Invited Clubs, as the first teams’ Stadium (as that term is defined in the Premier League rules).

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
So after last nights games these are the u21 academies that will not be running out at wemberleeeey

Chelsea
West Ham
WBA
Middlesborough
Blackburn

Of the other U21s both Derby and Stoke need big wins to go through

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Stevenage. 2 - 2. Brighton U23. EFL Trophy - Group G - Pens. Lamex Stadium. Attendance: 486

I am not sure what the other attendance figures are as they are not on the bbc web site, however I would imagine they are pretty poor throughout and not sustainable or practically viable for a lower league club to want to actually compete in this crazy cup.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
teams that won last night received 10k , not a huge amount you would think but to some teams in the lower leagues this is a welcome boost , after the group stage i think the prize money goes up per win so you can see why the format was voted in by most League 1 and 2 clubs , last seasons 1st round attendance average was 1848 ,this season its down to 1440 so the fans have yet to be convinced .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
teams that won last night received 10k , not a huge amount you would think but to some teams in the lower leagues this is a welcome boost , after the group stage i think the prize money goes up per win so you can see why the format was voted in by most League 1 and 2 clubs , last seasons 1st round attendance average was 1848 ,this season its down to 1440 so the fans have yet to be convinced .

Unfortunately, it probably costs the clubs several times that much, to put the game on, with electricity, staff costs etc.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stevenage. 2 - 2. Brighton U23. EFL Trophy - Group G - Pens. Lamex Stadium. Attendance: 486

I am not sure what the other attendance figures are as they are not on the bbc web site, however I would imagine they are pretty poor throughout and not sustainable or practically viable for a lower league club to want to actually compete in this crazy cup.

[tweet]783409404129452032[/tweet]

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Unfortunately, it probably costs the clubs several times that much, to put the game on, with electricity, staff costs etc.
We'll lose a lot of money staging the Orient game for sure, even if WSL is the only open stand.

But, for us, the benefits are

(a) U23s getting good experience

(b) Competitive matches for first team players who are not getting game time. Hunemeier, Goldson etc. and hopefully March and Towell.

(c) Being a non-PL team in Premier League 2, with a category 1 status, it is possibly 'politically wise' for us to be seen to be supporting this competition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here