Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steven Alzate departs

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Under Potter didn't he play pretty much every position apart from in goal?

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
I also remember him playing a fantastic game against Chelsea at the Amex

When we were woefully short of midfielders last season I felt he could do a job. Certainly better than Dahoud.

Like others I can't understand while we sold him last summer if RDZ felt there was no place for him

Good luck Steve

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Same. Always thought his decision making was poor, and he never seemed to get any better. Back when we were relegation battlers under Hughton he was the right kind of level of player, but we've outgrown him.
Alzate never played for the first team under Hughton. Potter gave him his debut away to Newcastle and all of his 40 odd appearances came under Potter.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
ALZATE DEPARTS

Midfielder Steven Alzate will leave Albion when his contract expires at the end of June.

The 25-year-old midfielder joined us in 2017 and made 72 appearances for the club in all competitions including 52 starts.

For the last two seasons he has been on loan with Standard Liege in Belgium and played 47 times for them in all competitions.

Technical director David Weir said, “We would like to thank Steven for his efforts during his time with the club and wish him all the very best for the future.”
Shame. Had some glimpses of a decent player in his time. Possibly just ever so marginally off the level of a top ten PL, but he'd do great in a newly promoted PL team and I reckon he'd star in a promotion chasing championship team.

Good luck Steven for your new Club and hopefully Colombia again

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
So Alzate has an attitude problem because his friends wore jewellery?

I must be missing something here

:shootself
If he's a good player as most on here seem to suggest (including me) then why else would he be released?

Don't think it's strange to suggest his attitude might have been the problem. Not knowing the guy personally, I can only go on what I see off the pitch...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
thought looked good, unfortunate to be kept out by top draw players, loaned to build experience. surprised when didnt come back while we bought in quite a few new midfielder. though i'd question if they were any better.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Liege? I thought he was at Ipswich.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

When we were woefully short of midfielders last season I felt he could do a job. Certainly better than Dahoud.

Like others I can't understand while we sold him last summer if RDZ felt there was no place for him

Good luck Steve
That Chelsea game always sticks in my mind in regards to Alzate. I think Biss was still here and he was injured, Alzate stepped in and was brilliant. Always thought there was a decent player in there if the right manager could find a system which suited. But maybe he’s just not quite good enough for where we are now. Would have been handy to have him last season, but if we invest in the midfield this summer then more bench time for him would have been likely.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Good luck Steve
Perhaps because he didn’t care about lining the club’s pockets and had his eyes on the bumper signing fee that is coming his way. Who could blame him?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I think he had a decent chance at becoming a good player.

He had some pretty bad luck with injuries and illnesses, but I think the thing mainly preventing him from reach his full potential was getting called up to Colombia before he was even near established in the PL. Going on very long flights to different time zones and coping with new environments etc at the same time you're trying to compete yourself into a PL team... far from optimal.

Seen quite a bit of him in Belgium and he's been good (though nothing exceptional). I'm sure Standard would have signed him now if they weren't completely and utterly broke and in full chaos. Probably moving to a league of similar quality. Best of luck to him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here