Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

steve thomson

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Why do you think Fraser is the defensive one? People said this about O'Callaghan too, not realising what an important role he was playing when he came deep.

Thompson played poorly yesterday but he's had good games, in fact I think most of his performances have been pretty good.

Fraser gets a nosebleed when he goes forward. A better blocker than passer.

I put this to the debate last night. I see Thomson as someone who can read the game quite well, gets in the right position, and then is unimaginative (a safe, conservative pass, rather than a 'killer' pass). Fraser, on the other hand, is reactive, rather than pro-active - in other words, doesn't read the game quite so well yet, but when he does get stuck in, he does well.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
He will come good....let's just give him a chance to settle in...he has shown enough glimpses of potential to suggest that he is a decent player....not everyone settles into a new club/league from day one....he really needs someone decent alongside him to release him a bit....at the moment I get the feeling he is not playing his natural game as he is have to do too much defensive work...when he has the ball at his feet moving forwards he shows tht he has a good eye for a pass etc.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
surely the guy needs a regular partner and a bit of time to settle in. The game in Scotland is very different

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
He's ex Palace. Enough said.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think he's played well in the games that I've seen him. (Didn't go Saturday). Keeps things ticking over and uses the ball fairly intelligently.

However the midfield desperately needs some more creativity.

Thompson is more of a holding player than 'box to box'/creative player. I'm afraid we seem to have too many of those at the minute.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think he looks a solid player, and will prove a good signing.

I think some of the negative comments are down to expectation - SPL captain, etc - some people got their hopes up, that he just might turn out to be a different class altogether, and are now disappointed that he's not.

Spunk Bubble

Feb 21, 2007
Thomson has been with us for a handful of games. The guy cannot have a blinder every game. When you think of players like Robert Codner who had over 300 games for us, what percentage of those were awful. Give Thommo a chance FFS.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Quite good of NSC not to turn on him after his first game, that is what normally happens, yet a player like Robinson who has played over 100 games still gets minimal criticism on here.

Very odd.
Not really Piers. Robinson gets his fair share of criticism on here.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I think he's done well and think he will go on to captain the side one day.

Threads like this are started by wankers or Pala*Se fans.... see if you can spot the difference?

well I don't think he has, but you must be right

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thomson has been with us for a handful of games. The guy cannot have a blinder every game. When you think of players like Robert Codner who had over 300 games for us, what percentage of those were awful. Give Thommo a chance FFS.

Trouble is, the cognoscenti ARE always right, and their judgement is always spot on after no more than three games maximum. And that's being generous. A player's character (or lack of same) shines through after a handful of MINUTES, and it's not looking at all good for Thomson. Sorry. Might take NSC as a whole about a season and a half to catch up, but - believe it - Thomson is going to prove to be a disappointment. Oh well.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Maybe Thompson needs a recognised midfielder next to him so they can strike a partnership
Im convinced that Thompson is the defensive midfielder we need (as in its his natural position) and he needs an attacking partner - I know Hammond went but I really think the original plan was to have those two playing to their strengths - Hammond with his late runs etc etc

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Only saw him at Northampton but the description of his performance last weekend sounds exactly the same. He does seem to give the ball away a lot..... still has seemed to play well on other occassions so probably good for us right now.

I suppose there never was a follow-up after the article on Bertin?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I rate him. It's not that our midfield was brilliant before he arrived and suddenly turned crap when hammond went and he started playing. I don't think it's unrelated that Adam El-Abd has hit form since playing alongside Thomson, also Fraser played better than expected alongside Thomson. He's a steadying influence and seems to give the other midfielders confidence. Granted he had a bad day against Orient, but long-term I feel that he'll be a key member of the side.
Of course I know nothing and as NSC finest seem to think he's sh*t .......

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
I'm not sure he's going to be happy down here, unless it's treated as a 'new beginning' for him in his career.
From what I've seen so far, he ought to be in the reserves and working towards getting into the first team, not a shoe-in for the midfield place.

We replaced Revell alright, but not Hammond quite yet.

Not a replacement for Hammond? According to the mixture of comments on here - Thomson doesn't get forward enough, can't play killer balls, gives the ball away too much, might not be happy down here, shows the odd immature reaction (slap on Saturday). Sounds to me like an exact replacement for Hammond.

Perhaps all he needs is his first sending off (traditionally at a point when the opposition up their workrate and we need a leader) and he can have the Captains armband straight away.

A tongue in cheek observation of course at the fact that Hammond used to display the very traits that Thomson is being marked down for. IMHO Thomson will need more time yet to show what he can do - and he should get it. He is playing no worse than Hammond was prior to buggering off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here