Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Harper - signs on a month's loan

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
So basically what you are saying is Gus should play him as you fancy him ?

There is a distinct difference in fancying and appreciating. However, I did long for his towel to loosen, fall off and see how big his balls were and if he was ready for the fight (this was at the end of last season).

I think thats probably how Leeds fans felt,but you have to move on.I really don't think Casper is up to it.(ignoring the 2nd paragraph)

I guess I am a bit of a romantic in wanting last years men to give this season a proper crack.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I'm quite the Casper fan at the mo, liking that he's good with the ball at his feet too.

Is he though?
His kicking is generally a bit iffy, certainly wouldnt say it's that great. Most of the balls he's required to play are simple 10-15 yard balls out to the back four as they try and pull the opposition forward. May be being a tad harsh, but most goalkeepers would be capable of that, it's just very few managers ask them to do what is asked of Casper. You don't get into the Premiership for that period of time if you're poor on the ball, that counts for keepers IMO.

D

Deleted User X18H

As my old Grandmother used to say about my globe trotting Auntie turning up '' I'll believe it when she knocks the door and ask's me for 10 bob for her taxi'' or in other words when he turns up at training tomorrow.

Brimmermusic

Aug 9, 2011
Eastbourne
We need to look at Premiership calibre players in order to mount a serious challenge for promotion. Whether that be out of favours or hot prospects. At present, we have some good players but our rivals have better players. The potential signing of Harper will in my opinion fix our biggest problem which is Ankergren. He is terrible, does anybody know why he is scared to kick the ball?

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
STEVE HARPER is set to leave Newcastle and join Brighton on loan.

The veteran Toon stopper, 36, is desperate for some first team action after losing the No1 spot to Tim Krul.

And following the arrival of Rob Elliot from Charlton, Harper has fallen further down the pecking order.

Brighton have been looking for some experience to challenge current keeper Casper Ankergren.

The deal is believed to be for a month with a view to extend it until the end of the season.

Steve Harper set for Brighton switch | The Sun |Sport|Football

D

Deleted member 18477

STEVE HARPER is set to leave Newcastle and join Brighton on loan.

The veteran Toon stopper, 36, is desperate for some first team action after losing the No1 spot to Tim Krul.

And following the arrival of Rob Elliot from Charlton, Harper has fallen further down the pecking order.

Brighton have been looking for some experience to challenge current keeper Casper Ankergren.

The deal is believed to be for a month with a view to extend it until the end of the season.

Steve Harper set for Brighton switch | The Sun |Sport|Football

Was worried that is was only gunna be a month there. Potentially till the end of the season is fantastic stuff!!

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
If this is true I'll be hugely impressed, Jara and Harper this week, only need a LB even just as cover and it's looking lovely.

Line up tomorrow should be;

Harper

Calde Greer Dunk Painter

Bridders Jara - Reyes

Buckley Vicente Noone

CMS

If Vicente is injured like I've heard people say, put Buckley or Noone in the middle and KLL on either side whoever he replaces.

IMO.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Think he may be bringing him in based on the fact in the last 2 games we could have conceeded about 11 goals from set plays, and I am guessing he is blaming Ankergen for that (staying on his line).

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I'd very pleased if this ends up happening. Casper hasn't inspired confidence recently, and that Millwall equaliser last week was very poor.

If this can be extended until the end of the season, even better. This definitely improves the first XI.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surely they wouldn't play him tonite? Surely he needs to learn all that backpassing and tippy tappy stuff across the penalty area???:eek:

Tonight would be too early.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
We need to look at Premiership calibre players in order to mount a serious challenge for promotion. Whether that be out of favours or hot prospects. At present, we have some good players but our rivals have better players. The potential signing of Harper will in my opinion fix our biggest problem which is Ankergren. He is terrible, does anybody know why he is scared to kick the ball?

He's not scared to kick, he's under instructions not to kick it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here