Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Foster headband question

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I can't remember the date or who we were playing, but remember being there - loads of blood!

D

Deleted User X18H

He had various injuries to his forehead area and some scar tissue and the irritation caused by heading the ball constantly, you will remember he was quite poor with the ball at his feet, forced him to wear a headband. Coventry at home 1980 rings a bell.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I will narrow it down from my faulty memory chip. :down:

Mullery, 1980, Blue Shirts.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I was thinking it was a clash with Justin Fashinu but I now realise that was Andy Rollins.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I always thought that it wasa as aresult of an elbow from Fashinau as well as doing Andy Rollings in the same manner. How long would he or Andy Gray last with todays refs?

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Theres a programme cover from early in the 80/81 season with a picture of fozzie covered in blood with a small dressing on his forehead. The picture is of a game against Wolves at the Goldstone and Andy Gray is in the frame. Not saying this is when it happened just that this might be where the confusion is coming from. Mr Gray might have antogonised the injury that had happened the week before or something.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
As I remember it from the Chicken Run, don't remember which match but definitely happened at home.
Claret all over Fozzi, bandaged and stitched? Some games went by and it healed and he played a few games without the bandage, he then did it again and the bandage then went on for every game. Probably still wears it in the office.
I am old, so could be making this up. How did we used to remember stuff without the tinternet.
:tumble:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Fashanu broke Rollings's nose with his signet ring at the Goldstone in the 79/80 season and then got sent off for retaliating, Fozzie got his head wound the following year (think it was against Wolves in the match Tubby refers to)

moshe's foreskin

Jan 22, 2010
Foster's headband

Hi all, this is my 1st time so go easy on me. It was Wolves and Mr Gray with his elbow. Does anyone remember when Don Goodman removed one of Perry's nuts playing for West Brom. i think? He played at Withdean a few years ago and i booed him each time he touched the ball. I was told to stop and accused of being a racist.

When Foster got his head injury, I remember he got the biggest cheers of his career for coming back on the pitch and playing on.
He must have felt encouraged, like he'd found his way to be a 'legend-status' player at last.
He was pretty crap, in reality :lolol:
He turned like the Titanic, but got so close behind opposing forwards that refs couldn't see how efficient he was at fouling them. I knew when he was back for the replay, that we wouldn't stand a chance at the FA Cup

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
The Wolves game that you refer to was, I think, in August 1980, and was followed a month or so later by the Fash incident.

That was the season that the Big Match had nicked the Saturday night slot off the BBC, Match of the Day was on a Sunday afternoon then.

It was still a highlights show and I seem to recall Brian Moore talking about Fash getting sent off, and with no highlights they then put photos on the screen up with a tag line underneath 'courtesy of the Worthing Herald'.

How times change.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Rollings had his nose broken 79/80 season (1st season in Div.1(stripes)), Fozzy's head was defo done the following season (Adidas all blue kit)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here