Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Coppell

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Quit dreaming this is real life:

OK maybe you are passionate but for the rest of your fans - no way, go to your board like this and see for yourself.

Sorry but it is not happening - we have a massive hardcore of very passionate, true supporters - check out our away support

Italiaseagull

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney
Reading are a SHITY LITTLE CLUB FROM THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE! WHY THE f*** WOULD COPPELL WANT TO JOIN YOUR LOT?

Re: Re: Steve Coppell

Hilton said:
Yep, division 2 I'm afraid though. I wouldn't mind you lot staying up there for next year as I'll be at Uni there

CRAP TOWN!:lolol:

Royal

Oct 4, 2003
Swallowfield
trueblue said:
We are:

A club which has played in the FA Cup Final, beating the likes of Newcastle and Liverpool at their own grounds en route.
Which has boasted many international players over the years.
Which, even in Division Three, has attracted crowds in excess of 30000.
Which has been managed by some of the most respected names in the game like Brian Clough, Alan Mullery, Liam Brady, Micky Adams and now Steve Coppell unlike the wannabes and never-will-bes on your managerial list. Oh, sorry, I forgot Mark McGhee - but then I did say 'respected', and he pretty quickly realised he was too good for you anyway.
Which has one of the best away followings outside of the Premiership.
Which has survived on sheer spirit for years without even having a ground of our own.
Which will be a force again once we finally get a stadium.

The problem you have, Royal, is you don't understand that it's history and passion which makes a football club what it is... not having a huge, half-empty ground and a fat wallet.

Twenty years down the line, if you can say you have truly established yourself as a club worthy of being in, at the very least, the First Division year in, year out, you will be able to claim something of Brighton's status. You'll have to fill that ground too, because we could have crammed it to bursting point even in the year we were winning the Division Three Championship. Most of all, you'll have made it if you can persuade your phoney fans to stick around once the going gets tough> More likely, they will ponce off to watch Man U or Chelsea or do something that counts as a thrill when you live in a town that's one big, glorified motorway junction, like tenpin bowling.

Of the three criteria, I'd concentrate on passing the third because, let's face it, when big bad John McMad gets bored of playing subbuteo with his little stripey team and their painted plastic fans, you're screwed.

The old adage springs to mind - form is temporary, class is permanent. Enjoy your heyday while it lasts (but if I were you, I'd buy a watch rather than a calendar to measure the rest of it).

I agree with some of your points but their is no point living with the past people are not interested its now that counts and you have a long long way to go, to get where you were....if you get their which i doubt.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
To get where we were, all we need to do is get out of this division and get a ground. The first is well in hand, the second shouldn't be too far behind.

I'm not claiming we're an Arsenal or a Liverpool, just that we are rightfully a top half division one club with the occasional foray upwards and support worthy of the Premiership. It's only our fairly exceptional circumstances that have caused the struggle of the past few years.

Dream on if you reckon you qualify on either of those counts yet.

Royal

Oct 4, 2003
Swallowfield
Beach Hut said:
Quit dreaming this is real life:

OK maybe you are passionate but for the rest of your fans - no way, go to your board like this and see for yourself.

Sorry but it is not happening - we have a massive hardcore of very passionate, true supporters - check out our away support

We are all on edge at the moment with pardew going it has rocked the boat fans are uncertain its also effecting our perfomances on the pitch hopefully if coppell is the manager he can sort it out and get us back on winning ways.....nothing has been agreed yet. ?????????

trueblue said:
We admire your honesty Whitley. Reading is, indeed, a crap town.

I must admit, it wouldn't have been my choice to come to uni here.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One thing that may be putting SC off the job is Madjeski. Is he a football fan or just a wealthy egotistical ex 2nd hand car dealer?

Would you want to work for him or DK?

Good point, Icy Gull. As far as I know Madejski had no interest in football at all until he was approached to help out a decade ago when we were in a spot of financial bother. Over the past 10 years, though, I think he has become a genuine fan too. Reading FC are certainly a better-run club these days.

He's an old-school patrician tory, like those wealthy 19th century industrialists who paid for parks, buildings, statues etc in their local community but insisted on their name featuring prominently on everything they touched. Hence we have the Madejski Stadium, the Millenium Madejski Hotel, the Madejski Art Gallery.

So I think you are accurate on both counts.

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
Royal said:

so just get on with it like we have

LOYAL ROYAL

Oh, and there was me thinking you all kicked off about P:censored: w leaving you ???
Be honest, you lot didn't like him leaving you. You didn't 'just get on with it'. You will give him verbal when you play West Ham.

One more thing. If SC turns Reading down, which I think he might, will you be big enough to come on here and admit that maybe we have more going for us than Reading, despite the temporary divisional difference ???

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here