Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Coppell to quit management

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
did a search, couldnt see anything..

"Steve Coppell will end a 25- year managerial career by leaving Reading at the end of the season, regardless of whether they are promoted to the Premier League.

Coppell, who celebrated his 1,000th game as a manager last month, is sticking by a pledge to close friends that this will be his final campaign despite enjoying the run-in to the season.

The former Manchester United and England star stayed at the Madejski Stadium after relegation last season because he felt he owed the club to try to haul them back into the top flight.

Coppell's side can win promotion if they win their last two games, starting tomorrow against Norwich City. If they do go up, Coppell will feel he has done his job and it is time to hand over the reins.

Owner John Madejski is believed to be aware of Coppell's intention, with former Reading boss Alan Pardew and Alan Curbishley on the shortlist to succeed him.

Coppell, 53, began the first of four managerial spells at Crystal Palace at the age of just 28 and famously took the club to the 1990 FA Cup final. He gave up his chance to succeed at a big club when he quit Manchester City after just 33 days in 1996.

But after spells with Brentford and Brighton, he went to Reading and became their most successful manager"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...USIVE-Coppell-quitting-25-years.html?ITO=1490

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Interesting. Wasn't aware he was finishing this season.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Can't believe they'd take Pardew back. Didn't exactly leave on best of terms last time.

Precisely, throws the rest of the article in to doubt.

Lazy journalism because it's out of the Prem, also very easy to attach Curbishley's name to it too.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Precisely, throws the rest of the article in to doubt.

Lazy journalism because it's out of the Prem, also very easy to attach Curbishley's name to it too.

just heard it on talksport. Cant see why he wants to leave as Reading fans like him and the chairman stood by him after the relegation from the Premership last season.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I'm shocked by that news. I always had him marked down as someone who would one day be a manager at a top club in the Premiership.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
just heard it on talksport. Cant see why he wants to leave as Reading fans like him and the chairman stood by him after the relegation from the Premership last season.

That's what surprised me too, I thought he was all set to walk out last season?

To be honest, I don't trust Talksport either. If he is going, I doubt Curbs or Pardew would get it.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I'll give it a week before a "Slade to Reading" thread pops up on here:lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Steve Coppell always strikes me as a man prone to deep depression. Doesn't seem a happy man, even when things are going well for him. Maybe he's just had enough of the aggro that comes with management.

Anyways: happier times. Here's a photo of him on one of the Falmer marches on the seafront that he came back for after he'd left us to manage Reading. (super photo courtesy of former NSC poster Yorkie)

Steve Coppell = top bloke - and friend of the Albion :clap:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He is probably my favourite Albion manager.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Give Slade a years contract then bring in Coppell when he gets bored.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've got to say if this is true then it's football's loss more than just Reading's. There are an awful lot of managers who haven't achieved a fraction what Coppell has and yet they seem to carry on regardless. Definitely one of the best managers we've ever had.

I agree with THPP, I've always felt he was a man fighting inner demons. I wish him well for the future.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, I guess he's probably earned far more dosh than most of us on here will ever aspire too, so can afford to retire at 53. To be fair, being a football club manager must be a pretty stressful job at times, and maybe he feels it's time to get out before the inevitable heart attack / stroke or whatever.

It's a pity, though - he's proved himself to be a dam good manager; wish he'd never left us (but, no, I don't want him back [see Mullery A., Adams M. for reasons why])

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Steve Coppell always strikes me as a man prone to deep depression.

i suppose you cant spend so much time around Selhurst without some long term effects.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Is he going to get his VD treated ? :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here