Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steve Cooper.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
But when Potter was continually massively praised by Pep, we were told he just says that about all coaches he’s facing.

As someone who spends hours studying formations, styles and tactics of teams and coaches as it’s the bit of football I find most interesting, I’ve never understood the De Zerbi hype. He’s tactically quite basic and flawed in many ways as well as being a loose cannon peronsality wise at times. He will never be an elite manager.

And I say that as someone who wanted him to get the job when Potter left. In the end I was just quite disappointed by him.
When were you disappointed his first season or the last half of last season?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
But when Potter was continually massively praised by Pep, we were told he just says that about all coaches he’s facing.

As someone who spends hours studying formations, styles and tactics of teams and coaches as it’s the bit of football I find most interesting, I’ve never understood the De Zerbi hype. He’s tactically quite basic and flawed in many ways as well as being a loose cannon peronsality wise at times. He will never be an elite manager.

And I say that as someone who wanted him to get the job when Potter left. In the end I was just quite disappointed by him.
Interesting.

I felt the only flaw was the failure to adapt.

For me, that is why he may end up not being an elite manager. You sometimes have to respect what the opponent brings and flex your approach.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
De Zerbi outperforms Potter on every single metric. Win ratio, league position, head to head, European record. Every. Single. One.

Except maybe xG, do let me know when there’s a cup for that.
Longevity?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Swedish. Potter groupie. Recently joined.

dance dancing GIF
Yes, I know.

Spoke to my Forest mate last night and he genuinely thinks Cooper would be a good fit for us. He’s still held in high regard by Forest supporters and did a good job for them under a nutter of an owner.
Yes, they loved him and still do. Bringing in 20+ players when they got promoted on silly money some of them. Imagine having to work with a complete new squad whereas, with us (rumoured) it'll be a squad of good young players with a few additions/departures (not 20) and keep within Blooms model.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
Why is there so much dissing of RDZ on a Steve Cooper thread?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
De Zerbi outperforms Potter on every single metric. Win ratio, league position, head to head, European record. Every. Single. One.

Yeah I hear about this all the time.

Context is very important when it comes to De Zerbi: all the injuries we had, all the super stars we didn't buy.

At the same time you and the other Zerbi Cultists happily leave out any context when it comes to GP.

Like... every bit of context. Do you honestly expect someone who managed our 2018-19 squad to have the same our better win ratio as someone who managed our 2022-23 squad? Do you think they are comparable in quality?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Nowhere near on the xG.

RDZ’s xG (2 seasons) = 129xG or 64.5xG per season.

Potter’s xG (3 seasons) = 142xG or 47.3xG per season.

De Zerbi’s style was so much more attacking than Potter’s that had he not had the weird run in March/April where we went off the boil he’d have likely equalled Potter’s record a whole season earlier.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Context is very important when it comes to De Zerbi: all the injuries we had, all the super stars we didn't buy.

At the same time you and the other Zerbi Cultists happily leave out any context when it comes to GP.

Like... every bit of context. Do you honestly expect someone who managed our 2018-19 squad to have the same our better win ratio as someone who managed our 2022-23 squad? Do you think they are comparable in quality?
As I’ve repeatedly said, De Zerbi’s overall win ratio at Brighton, including the worst injury crisis we’ve ever had was better than Potter’s at billionaire, top six Chelsea.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I believe De Zerbi’s Brighton did indeed finish above Dyche’s Everton twice and had a better European record than them, yes.
And without points dedications this season ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Interesting.

I felt the only flaw was the failure to adapt.

For me, that is why he may end up not being an elite manager. You sometimes have to respect what the opponent brings and flex your approach.
Remember how Arsenal celebrated when the low blocked City and still didn’t win the title. RDZ’s approach was let’s try to win every game which Potter was praised for when he took over from CH :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You haven't been here very long if you think @Guinness Boy is a RDZ cultist.

Would you mind winding your neck in a bit?

Thanks.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Nowhere near on the xG.

RDZ’s xG (2 seasons) = 129xG or 64.5xG per season.

Potter’s xG (3 seasons) = 142xG or 47.3xG per season.

De Zerbi’s style was so much more attacking than Potter’s that had he not had the weird run in March/April where we went off the boil he’d have likely equalled Potter’s record a whole season earlier.
Again - completely without context. If you look at our attacking players and full backs - and at which point they were at in their careers - back in 19/20, do you expect a manager to get those players to produce as much chances and goals as those we have today and last season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here