Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steve Cooper.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Graham Potter is a better manager than Roberto De Zerbi seven days a week
Wrong. The upgrade in style and quality of football from Potter to De Zerbi was huge, sorry but it just was. In his first season in charge De Zerbi's team outscored Potter's previous season by THIRTY goals in the league. Potter was decent, and both managers had their flaws as most do, but the De Zerbi was an upgrade. No ifs, buts, or maybe. He just 100% was.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yup. I've listened to most of his press conferences and interviews and he is one of the most self-absorbed melodramatic managers I've seen in football. Mourinho copy, except Roberto De Zerbi has never made a joke in his entire life.

I don't stand him or his personality.

And as for his management, the squad he took to Europe was a squad many managers, including Potter, could have taken to European qualifcation. Stomped everything in the spring of 2022, added Pervis, Mitoma and Enciso while only losing Maupay and Cucurella. We had a very good squad and a lot of managers would have taken it to sixth (though its still a good result of course).

Graham Potter is a better manager than Roberto De Zerbi seven days a week, and this is the main reason people love Roberto De Zerbi.
RDZ’s Brighton battered Potter’s Chelsea explain 🤣

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Swedish. Potter groupie. Recently joined.

dance dancing GIF

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wrong. The upgrade in style and quality of football from Potter to De Zerbi was huge, sorry but it just was. In his first season in charge De Zerbi's team outscored Potter's previous season by THIRTY goals in the league. Potter was decent, and both managers had their flaws as most do, but the De Zerbi was an upgrade. No ifs, buts, or maybe. He just 100% was.
PPG for us :

Potter 1.28
De Zerbi 1.53

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Well Pep thinks he’s one of the most influential coaches of the last 20 years, while Sky Sports report he treated his players “like family”.

But I’m sure a drug addict from Sweden with an agenda knows better.

He is a good coach, but flawed.

He fell out with the club in January over transfers and tried to bully Tony publicly into changing club policy.

Then, in our first game in February, against Palace, he immediately picks up a third yellow card for the season which leads to a touchline ban for the Spurs match.

He then decides to head back to Italy for 'Dental treatment' and misses the Spurs match altogether, despite there being a full week prior for him to see the dentist or 8 full day days after.

His excuse was, it was for “very invasive dental surgery”.

But looking at the advice from Guys Hospital, who carryout the most extreme dental surgery, they recommend 'After dental surgery under a general anaesthetic, most people need 2 to 4 days off work.'

So did he need to miss the Spurs match?

A week or so after the Spurs match, SportBild reported that Bayern representatives had met with De Zerbi to discuss their upcoming vacancy.

At least Potter got permission to speak with Chelsea.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He is a good coach, but flawed.

He fell out with the club in January over transfers and tried to bully Tony publicly into changing club policy.

Then, in our first game in February, against Palace, he immediately picks up a third yellow card for the season which leads to a touchline ban for the Spurs match.

He then decides to head back to Italy for 'Dental treatment' and misses the Spurs match altogether, despite there being a full week prior for him to see the dentist or 8 full day days after.

His excuse was, it was for “very invasive dental surgery”.

But looking at the advice from Guys Hospital, who carryout the most extreme dental surgery, they recommend 'After dental surgery under a general anaesthetic, most people need 2 to 4 days off work.'

So did he need to miss the Spurs match?

A week or so after the Spurs match, SportBild reported that Bayern representatives had met with De Zerbi to discuss their upcoming vacancy.

At least Potter got permission to speak with Chelsea.
No he didn’t. Chelsea got permission to talk to HIM. Otherwise it would have been tapping up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I have one criticism re RdZ….

His failure to learn from what was literally in front of his eyes.
There can be no doubt his style of football is very exciting and a pleasure to watch, but once you’ve been rumbled, you need to learn. If players get injured you need to adapt.

The fact he wanted more should be seen as a positive (again IMO), the whole ‘it is what it is”, is incredibly dull.

I don’t think it’s great criticising Bloom, but he was clearly frustrated as was shown in the last 3 months, in his and the teams performance.
Can’t disagree with that. All humans are flawed. But RDZ was a massive upgrade on Potter and thrashed him in their head to head.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can’t disagree with that. All humans are flawed. But RDZ was a massive upgrade on Potter and thrashed him in their head to head.
And Rob Edwards is better than Roberto if we are looking at head to heads. And Dyche blows RDZ out the water…!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Well Pep thinks he’s one of the most influential coaches of the last 20 years, while Sky Sports report he treated his players “like family”.

But I’m sure a drug addict from Sweden with an agenda knows better.

But when Potter was continually massively praised by Pep, we were told he just says that about all coaches he’s facing.

As someone who spends hours studying formations, styles and tactics of teams and coaches as it’s the bit of football I find most interesting, I’ve never understood the De Zerbi hype. He’s tactically quite basic and flawed in many ways as well as being a loose cannon peronsality wise at times. He will never be an elite manager.

And I say that as someone who wanted him to get the job when Potter left. In the end I was just quite disappointed by him.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
And Rob Edwards is better than Roberto if we are looking at head to heads. And Dyche …!
De Zerbi outperforms Potter on every single metric. Win ratio, league position, head to head, European record. Every. Single. One.

Except maybe xG, do let me know when there’s a cup for that.

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
Have been really struggling on who I want, but know that I don’t want Cooper or Potter.
Carlos Corberan could be good for us. West Brom fans really want to keep him which tells a story. Could see Bloom going for him.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yup. I've listened to most of his press conferences and interviews and he is one of the most self-absorbed melodramatic managers I've seen in football. Mourinho copy, except Roberto De Zerbi has never made a joke in his entire life.

I don't stand him or his personality.

And as for his management, the squad he took to Europe was a squad many managers, including Potter, could have taken to European qualifcation. Stomped everything in the spring of 2022, added Pervis, Mitoma and Enciso while only losing Maupay and Cucurella. We had a very good squad and a lot of managers would have taken it to sixth (though its still a good result of course).

Graham Potter is a better manager than Roberto De Zerbi seven days a week, and this is the main reason people love Roberto De Zerbi.
I agree!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
De Zerbi outperforms Potter on every single metric. Win ratio, league position, head to head, European record. Every. Single. One.

Yer but there's no like for like comparison squad wise. It clicked for potter just before he left and we looked as good then as under RDZ. 2nd half of last season was worse than anything we saw under potter.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

And Dyche ? 3 games , 0 W, 2 D 1 L. GF 3 GA 7

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I can’t argue with that. For me, RDZ is our best manager of all time and Potter is the 2nd best. It’s not only league finishing positions that back this up.

Both managers have have pros and cons. I’d sum them up like this:

Pros:
RDZ
1. A unique (and now much copied) style of football of his own that is attacking, highly technical and very entertaining.
2. The most emotionally inspiring manager personality in our history. Incredibly enigmatic.
3. A gambler. Entertainment and goals are always better then pragmatism.
4. Handsome.
5. The ability to make players believe that they’ll score when they shoot.
6. Modern Pep style squad rotation.
7. Mostly played his own style no matter what.

Potter
1. A tactical genius with a plan a, b, c, d etc.
2. An appreciation of defensive football that his predecessor never had.
3. An appreciation of possession football and a passing mentality.
4. Very popular with the players.
5. Thoughtful, measured and highly professional.
6. Ruthless when needed. Kicking out Andone and Knocky are good examples of this.
7. Modern Pep style squad rotation.
8. He never played a defensive low block team that the likes of Cooper and Hughton fall back on.

Cons:
RDZ
1. In essence. One plan. One way of playing. This makes him highly vulnerable to injuries or being ‘worked out’ which did for him this season.
2. Driven by passion and emotion rather than pragmatism and consideration. As soon as he didn’t get his way in January, he couldn’t hide his disappointment in a professional way. His spell over the players broke and they lost their belief in him and their own ability, especially in regards to scoring.
3. The longer we had RDZ, the more teams found a solution to his rigid system. He got worked out.

Potter
1. Career before Albion. Jumping to a ‘Liverpool’ would have been understood by the fanbase but we all knew he’d not last a season at Chelsea. He MUST regret that move.
2. Dull as ditchwater. For those fans who don’t really understand tactics and are more concerned with the manager’s personality in a press conference, he is a complete switch off.
3. A belief that genuine wingers and full backs are not needed. I’ve never really understood this.
4. His worst trait by far. Having a masters in emotional intelligence but not having the ability to convince his players they will score (pre 2022). I’ve never known a team to miss so many chances than Potter’s pre-2022 line-ups. I’m still frustrated thinking about this.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here