Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steve Cooper.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Just seen rumours about Steve Cooper, as a man and a representative of my club I can’t speak highly enough of him, I’d genuinely love him to get a good job like BHA and succeed, it doesn’t count for everything but he’s a great fella, personality if our owner, son and their acolytes hadn’t interfered so much with transfers and team picking I‘m confident he would have continued to push Forest forward.
How would you describe his style of play/tactics?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Just seen rumours about Steve Cooper, as a man and a representative of my club I can’t speak highly enough of him, I’d genuinely love him to get a good job like BHA and succeed, it doesn’t count for everything but he’s a great fella, personality if our owner, son and their acolytes hadn’t interfered so much with transfers and team picking I‘m confident he would have continued to push Forest forward.

My Forest supporting mate called his dog Cooper. If nothing else, I'd like him here just to take the piss.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Granted he's no looker, but coaching ability wise he's head and shoulders above anyone else on the betting list, he works well with good players, of which we have a number, if our recruitment dept don't let him down, I think it could be the most significant appointment in the club's history since Micky Adams in April 1999.

TB make it happen.......

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Well that sounds more positive.

I just worry he'd be a throwback to defensive Hughton tactics with limited ambition.

Redinpeace

Apr 27, 2023
Thanks for that... Cooper strikes me as someone who'd interview exceptionally... and if he gets that opportunity it could swing things in a big way.

However, I'm still of two schools of thought:

1 - Cooper, if an actual target, could prove to be the best appointment we've ever made.

2 - Cooper, as above, could prove to be one of the worst appointments we've ever made.

lol... as with all coaches/managers I guess.

I'm not going to say I'd be excited, but I'm sure we'd all give him a chance to prove his championship style could be employed at a club better suited to being able to provide the stability his approach perhaps requires.

All of that said, is he genuinely a possibility ? no one can say for sure, but time will tell.

A guy who works for me is a season ticket holder at Forest, and loves Cooper. The anti-Cooper stuff here is an anti-British bias IMO
Personally I’d have him back in a heartbeat, as an older football fan-watcher I’m not in the win at all costs mentally I’d prefer a balance, the good will and somewhat general warmth we received when we returned to the top flight was fantastic and Steve each and every week helped build the feel good factor, since Steve left the club we’ve had nothing but negativity and most of the good will has evaporated and rightly so as the club has got so many peoples backs up with poor form off the field more than on it.

100% he’d embrace BHA, 100% he’d promote the club better than any PR company ever could and he’d continue the great work your owner and recent managers started, there’s three things most want in a player or manager and I can almost guarantee he’d nail two of them just being Steve.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Well that sounds more positive.

I just worry he'd be a throwback to defensive Hughton tactics with limited ambition.
I went along to a couple of Forest games with a friend of mine the season Cooper took over from Hughton.

First match just before Hughton was sacked, the other a few months later. To say the atmosphere and attitude around the team and the crowd had been transformed is to understate it.

Now there's obviously more to that than just the manager, they had some good loans in as well so the team was also just better, but I don't really understand why so many people on here are so down on the guy.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I think it would represent a massive lack of ambition when compared with RDZ.

I genuinely thought we'd look for someone in a similar mould, with some experience of managing in European competition.

Perhaps we just struck really lucky with RDZ being available when he was and actually that sort of calibre of manager won't be the norm.

Redinpeace

Apr 27, 2023
How would you describe his style of play/tactics?
In the championship we were fantastic going forward, the football was enjoyable, granted in the big league we took a few heavy beatings finding our feet but we did survive the first season, second season I believe he had input but certain players played regardless, it seemed as if the owner had too much input the tail wagged the dog so tactically at times he struggled but was it always his starting XI ? 🤔

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Thanks for that... Cooper strikes me as someone who'd interview exceptionally... and if he gets that opportunity it could swing things in a big way.

1 - Cooper, if an actual target, could prove to be the best appointment we've ever made.

2 - Cooper, as above, could prove to be one of the worst appointments we've ever made.

I'm not going to say I'd be excited, but I'm sure we'd all give him a chance to prove his championship style could be employed at a club better suited to being able to provide the stability his approach perhaps requires.

All of that said, is he genuinely a possibility ? no one can say for sure, but time will tell.

Of course we’d give him a chance but some would be clearing their throats to boo from 1 minute into the first game :smile:

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
He couldn't be worse than Hypia. Predicting his performance at BHA based on past performance under different conditions at different clubs isn't going to be reliable. I don't think he would be bottom of the barrel if he's appointed soon, rather a considered appointment by the board who should be in the best position to make that call.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
We just needed to give RDZ some bloody money to spend out of those profits. Surely, the majority of fans would agree there were glaring gaps in the squad and RDZ was let down in the summer and Jan.
So let down he had a squad that even injury ravaged got to European knock out stages and the 3rd best league finish in our history.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I think it would represent a massive lack of ambition when compared with RDZ.

I genuinely thought we'd look for someone in a similar mould, with some experience of managing in European competition.

Perhaps we just struck really lucky with RDZ being available when he was and actually that sort of calibre of manager won't be the norm.
There is absolutely no way TB would be going for an RDZ clone after how the season ended…imo

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
In the championship we were fantastic going forward, the football was enjoyable, granted in the big league we took a few heavy beatings finding our feet but we did survive the first season, second season I believe he had input but certain players played regardless, it seemed as if the owner had too much input the tail wagged the dog so tactically at times he struggled but was it always his starting XI ? 🤔
Ironically, sounds a bit like Chris Hughton - bar the mental owner interfering.

Did he set you up to play on the break in the PL?

Redinpeace

Apr 27, 2023
bar the mental owner interfering.
🤣🤣 you’ve nailed the Greek fella in one, at times I feel he was caught between two tactics, staying in the game and trying to pinch a goal especially on the road, at home the fans and the atmosphere swept the team along, the amount of new faces it was a miracle we survived and for that he needs-gets credit, the fella at the top at BHA is very astute I suppose my judgement is clouded as he the way he was treated towards the end at Forest was poor, I‘d just love to see him succeed and if not at my club then BHA would be a very nice second choice.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Won't be 2. He's clearly a steady pair of hands if a little unsexy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here