Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Bruce on SSN

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I'm pleased to be able to say that you are absolutely WRONG - as he had his ankle clipped as he was about to round the 'keeper. It was right in front of me & I also saw the replay afterwards in the concourse which confirmed my initial thoughts.

That said, it thankfully didn't matter in the end as we finally got the deserved winner. What a performance! :clap:

Disagree. Calde stepped round the keeper, who spread himself and caught Calde on the foot just as he was about to clobber it into a gaping net. He was not even CLOSE to getting the ball, and there was definite contact. Thats how I saw it at the time, and having seen the replay thats just how it played out. As plain a pen as you could wish to see, but I guess it was easier to give the keeper the benefit so as not to have to decide whether to send him off. Cowardly decision. Why on EARTH would Calde take a dive for a pen, when he's taken the keeper out of the equation and basically has an open goal ?

Oh.

I will have to seek out another replay as at the time I said dive, and seeing a replay on the big screen at half time it looked a dive too. Lots of people adamant it was a pen though so maybe a trip to the optician in order for me

Having just seen BoF's clip on another thread it was clearly a DIVE. No question in my mind, zero contact from the keeper. Sorry @Easy 10 and @Twinkle Toes but I think you're mistaken this time.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Having just seen BoF's clip on another thread it was clearly a DIVE. No question in my mind, zero contact from the keeper. Sorry @Easy 10 and @Twinkle Toes but I think you're mistaken this time.

Damn those beer goggles! You're absolutely right of course, Mac (as I've just seen Bof's clip on t'other thread). Good job Calderon's theatrics didn't matter in the grand scheme of things (although I think he's just added yet another notch on our Going-down-easily-o-meter).

Tbh, it ain't the first time I'll get things hopelessly wrong on here: & it sure as shit ain't gonna be the last. It just hurts like Hell to know that fecking D'Urso got it absolutely spot-on! :rant:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Damn those beer goggles! You're absolutely right of course, Mac (as I've just seen Bof's clip on t'other thread). Good job Calderon's theatrics didn't matter in the grand scheme of things (although I think he's just added yet another notch on our Going-down-easily-o-meter).

Tbh, it ain't the first time I'll get things hopelessly wrong on here: & it sure as shit ain't gonna be the last. It just hurts like Hell to know that fecking D'Urso got it absolutely spot-on! :rant:

Haha, I wouldn't trust that he got it right on his own merits though. He probably did think it was a penalty but didn't have the bottle to give it. Shame to see Calderon do it I agree

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
We did, but they still had at least four decent shooting opportunities that I can remember (two in the first half that ankergren parried into the danger area, and two in extra time that ankergren saved brilliantly). Those are just the four that immediately spring to mind, there was a header that went over and several wild shots that went wide/high of the goal.

Totally agree Acker79, In reality a Premiership side should of put away at least one of the shots you mention. They still ain't happy on the Sunderland board,saying they played with no recognised strikers. Bruce is not winning any popularity competition up there. I do feel sorry for their fans though, I was speaking to some of them last night and they said they'd probably would get home for around 3:30am, two and a half hours sleep, then up at six for work.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Disagree. Calde stepped round the keeper, who spread himself and caught Calde on the foot just as he was about to clobber it into a gaping net. He was not even CLOSE to getting the ball, and there was definite contact. Thats how I saw it at the time, and having seen the replay thats just how it played out. As plain a pen as you could wish to see, but I guess it was easier to give the keeper the benefit so as not to have to decide whether to send him off. Cowardly decision. Why on EARTH would Calde take a dive for a pen, when he's taken the keeper out of the equation and basically has an open goal ?

And to affirm my "they were fouling bastards" assertion, BBC stats show they commited 29 fouls to our 14. Persistant fouling all over the park, particularly on Noone. Yet WE ended up with 3 yellows to their 2.

We got well and truley D'urso'd.

Like a lot of people you're confusing "contact" with "foul". In my eyes and mind he took a tumble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here