Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Bruce on SSN

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Correct. They had just one clear cut chance tonight (that one)

We had 4 ... two for Barnes and two for CMS .. one of which he netted.

so in a perfect world we would have won 4-1 !

To correct your other stat though, 31 fouls by Sunderland tonight ... to our 12

:shrug:
I'm just going by the foulcount on the BBC website. Whichever one is right, it just shows how utterly inadequate that referee truly is. He NEVER looked interested in cracking down on their incessant niggly fouling, so naturally enough, they carried on kicking us all night with almost complete impunity.

No wonder that fuckface has been dropped from the Prem. Hardly fair that WE have to get lumbered with him though, is it.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
:shrug:
I'm just going by the foulcount on the BBC website. .

I suspected as much - they are rarely accurate unfortunately. Close enough to provide a fair impression of the game though, but true anoraks (and great managers) expect perfection

Still not quite sure how we ended up with one more booking than them.

By the way to show how good our discipline is, we committed only THREE fouls in our own half - thus giving them only 3 set pieces. By contrast Sunderland committed 16 fouls in their own half (five on Kazenga alone and he was only on the pitch for 32 mins!).

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
But he's got 4 strikers. We know this because none were playing in the first half, but they were ALL playing at the end. :shrug:

Indeed he has Chook, but I don't think any of them are anywhere near good enough at the moment to consistently bang in the goals in The Premiershite. I was chatting with a couple of Sunderland supporters in the bus queue & they both said that since Bent departed they have struggled to convert chances - & it's costing 'em big time. I'd wager there's gonna be a fair few Mackams tonight wishing they still had a certain Mr Phillips on their books.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Teams that have a lot of shots on target but don't win are often a decent bet next game. There is a site that shows this for the EPL, is there one for the football league?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
My match day role is as official match statistician for the manager.... so my source is my eyes!

I would'a kept that one on the QT...your gonna be a source of all things Gus now...transfers, starting line up, tactical decisions, favourite food etc, etc...

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Disagree. Calde stepped round the keeper, who spread himself and caught Calde on the foot just as he was about to clobber it into a gaping net. He was not even CLOSE to getting the ball, and there was definite contact. Thats how I saw it at the time, and having seen the replay thats just how it played out. As plain a pen as you could wish to see, but I guess it was easier to give the keeper the benefit so as not to have to decide whether to send him off. Cowardly decision. Why on EARTH would Calde take a dive for a pen, when he's taken the keeper out of the equation and basically has an open goal ?

And to affirm my "they were fouling bastards" assertion, BBC stats show they commited 29 fouls to our 14. Persistant fouling all over the park, particularly on Noone. Yet WE ended up with 3 yellows to their 2.

We got well and truley D'urso'd.

Absolutely !

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
They dominated most of the first half so should have made that count but had no end product. 2nd half and all of extra time was ours easily.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
I was actually embarrassed for Sunderland. We controllled the game. They barely touched the ball in the first 20 mins, then came into it a bit before half time. We came put stronger after the break. I would love to see the possession as I think we dominated it. Shame Bruce can't say we outplayed them.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I suspected as much - they are rarely accurate unfortunately. Close enough to provide a fair impression of the game though, but true anoraks (and great managers) expect perfection

Still not quite sure how we ended up with one more booking than them.

By the way to show how good our discipline is, we committed only THREE fouls in our own half - thus giving them only 3 set pieces. By contrast Sunderland committed 16 fouls in their own half (five on Kazenga alone and he was only on the pitch for 32 mins!).

BBC has us with 3 bookings and them with 1 even though they fouled 29 times to our 14??

Oh and did they really have 10 shots on target?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I'm pleased to be able to say that you are absolutely WRONG - as he had his ankle clipped as he was about to round the 'keeper. It was right in front of me & I also saw the replay afterwards in the concourse which confirmed my initial thoughts.

That said, it thankfully didn't matter in the end as we finally got the deserved winner. What a performance! :clap:

Disagree. Calde stepped round the keeper, who spread himself and caught Calde on the foot just as he was about to clobber it into a gaping net. He was not even CLOSE to getting the ball, and there was definite contact. Thats how I saw it at the time, and having seen the replay thats just how it played out. As plain a pen as you could wish to see, but I guess it was easier to give the keeper the benefit so as not to have to decide whether to send him off. Cowardly decision. Why on EARTH would Calde take a dive for a pen, when he's taken the keeper out of the equation and basically has an open goal ?

And to affirm my "they were fouling bastards" assertion, BBC stats show they commited 29 fouls to our 14. Persistant fouling all over the park, particularly on Noone. Yet WE ended up with 3 yellows to their 2.

Oh.

I will have to seek out another replay as at the time I said dive, and seeing a replay on the big screen at half time it looked a dive too. Lots of people adamant it was a pen though so maybe a trip to the optician in order for me

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
LuaLua was founded 3 times I'n the first 3 tackles on him, it shows how weak D'Urso is, he should have yellow carded the first or second one and set Sunderland straight on how it was going to be. LuaLua terrifies everyone, managers obviously identify this and set their stall out to stop him, but to foul him 3 times In the first 3 tackles, that is the referees responsibility to nip In the bud. Sadly D'Urso is not good enough to achieve this.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Steve Bruce is a mediocre journeyman manager who has achieved very little in his thirteen year managerial career. Gus Poyet is going to be a GREAT manager. Three years from now Poyet will have left you as a Premier League club, to take a job of Chelsea proportions. Three years from now Bruce will be out of football, sitting at home eating pies and drinking beer.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Bar 10 - 15 minutes in the first half we dominated them, granted they had a few chances but it was a very dominate 1-nil

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Steve Bruce is a mediocre journeyman manager who has achieved very little in his thirteen year managerial career. Gus Poyet is going to be a GREAT manager. Three years from now Poyet will have left you as a Premier League club, to take a job of Chelsea proportions. Three years from now Bruce will be out of football, sitting at home eating pies and drinking beer.

Congrats on saying what a lot of people think....there are too many ' journeyman ' managers going round the treadmill of management. They talk the talk but never quite come up with the goods. THey have little flurries of success but eventually time runs out for them at every club they are at. Amazingly, Chairmen keep employing them...so they must interview well.
Bruce, Brown, Megson, McClaren, Jones to name but a few.
Lower league managers like Terry Brown are never given a chance higher up the pyramid. Remarkable success at Wimbledon, following good work at Aldershot and Hayes.
These are the achievers but they aren't glamorous enough.
Sometimes you unearth a diamond...enjoy it while it lasts....cos as sure as eggs are eggs he will be snapped up.
Sunderland under Poyet would be top 6 material.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
As soon as I saw who the ref was my heart sank. I thought we'd end up with a couple of reds to be honest. Chuffed with the win but how that man is still a professional ref is way beyond me. He's a grade A moron and should have his whistle taken off him, pronto.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010

On your point about Calderon, well he could have stayed on his feet if he really wanted to. I've seen a replay and there may be some contact but for me Calde looked for it and, if it wasn't Brighton I probably would have given the same decision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here