Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sterns

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Anyone remember this place up at highdown hill just off the A259 in Worthing? Best club on the southcoast at the time. Many a happy memory.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Was before I moved to Worthing mostly but my wife used to go there a lot when she was younger - I seem to remember searchlights or something.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Sterns was quality apart from walking home when a bit worse for wear along the main road. The Search lights caused a scandal in the Worthing Herald.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
great place,saw Steve Wright DJ in there many years ago!

Anyone remember this place up at highdown hill just off the A259 in Worthing? Best club on the southcoast at the time. Many a happy memory.

My introduction to the dark side was Sterns.

20 odd years ago now i think, when did it close?

I'll Get Me Coat

Feb 28, 2011
Worthing
It was great place to be, people travelled miles for a night at Sterns, even Glaswegian fellas selling strange tablets and some white powder............................for some reason i would walk for miles after a night out there.

:rave: :rave:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Practically lived my night life in Sterns in the 80's! Started going there when it wasn't busy and just had the one dance floor before the underground was built. Happy days...

For some reason my laptop will not play that video.

one thing i do remember about the Underground was the mirrors on each side of the stairs, never failed to get my head more screwed up than it already waas.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was orignally the home of Lady Stern hence the name and after losing its license it was re-opened by Chris Chapman and is now a carvery but not sure if Chris still owns it. The owner when it was Sterns, Dick Garrett also owned a couple of butchers shops in Mayfair. Once the drugs were stopped or at least the availability reduced that was the end of the club.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Now you're talking!!

Football rivalries were set aside as clubbers from Pompey, London and Brighton converged on a top venue every week. Made a pleasant change to the Zap of the Escape back in the day, and darn sight easier to get to and back than Rage!

Who's for a "remember the DJs" who played there (ridiculous names as well)? I'll start with some of the more obscure ones:-
Pigbag
Dr S Gachet
Evil Eddie Richards
John "00" Fleming
Terry Francis
Rat Pack

Anyone go to the Inter Dance (Sterns) All Nighter in a fort on the Isle of Wight? One that definitely sticks in the memory!

I'll Get Me Coat

Feb 28, 2011
Worthing
DJs and actsThe sheer range and variety of DJs and performers that have graced Sterns is testament to its place in Rave and Hardcore folklore.

Aubrey[disambiguation needed]
Bazz
Carl Cox
Cloud 9[disambiguation needed]
Colin Dale
DJ Haze
DJ Kaos
DJ Rap
DJ Sy
DJ Warren
Doc Scott
Donovan Smith
Dr S Gatchet
Druid
Easy B
Easy Groove
Ellis Dee
Evil Eddie Richards
Evil O
Fabio
Femi B
Grooverider
House Junkie
Hector C
John Digweed
Jumpin Jack Frost
Kenny Ken
Krome & Time
Lenny Dee
Loft Groover
Luke Slater
LTJ Bukem
Mickey Finn[disambiguation needed]
Moby
Mr Music
Mrs Wood
Music Maker[disambiguation needed]
Mr C (later to find fame in The Shamen)
Neil Vas
John 00 Fleming
Phantasy[disambiguation needed]
Pigbag - This is not the Band but DJ Pigbag (Warren M)
Quantum
Randall[disambiguation needed]
Rat Pack
Ratty[disambiguation needed]
Rhythm Doctor
Rok One
Rock & Vibes
Ronnie Biggs
Sasha
Slipmat
Spencer T
Swan-E
The Prodigy
The Druid
Timmi Magic
Top Buzz
Dj Twist
Waxman

Even The Prodigy played Sterns :rave::rave::rave::rave:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well if we're on about 80's Sterns prior to and thereafter the underground was built (about 82-85'ish), my old mate Chris was the resident DJ there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here