Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Stepping up to the plate'

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Lord Bracknell said:
The English phrase is ... stepping up to the oche.

I will give a pound to REMF for every use of this phrase that anyone can find in the US media.

They think Oche is a game played on ice.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Soul Finger said:
f*** me, if I had a pound for every time I've heard that phrase this weekend.

A very apt weekend for the expression seeing as the Boston Red Sox really did "step up to the plate" in the most specatular style on Sunday.

:clap2:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
We need to draw a line under this thread & move on.

(I really f***ing HATE that phrase!!!) :angry:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
A very apt weekend for the expression seeing as the Boston Red Sox really did "step up to the plate" in the most specatular style on Sunday.

There's a 'knocked them for four' (or seven) joke in there someplace, but I'm too tired to find it.

Brighton:palace::Red Sox:Yankees

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Now, I am sure that "Stepping up to the Plate" originated as a baseball term... referring to meeting a seemingly impossible challenge and then performing heroics on the field of play.

But for me, this phrase now conjures up a very different image, one that is now impossible to dislodge.

A typically supersized American, approaching a restaurant table that's piled high with triple cheese and bacon burgers, pizzas, hotdogs, fries, ice cream and milk shakes.

Stepping up to the Plate... and scoffing the lot in one... to a chorus of cheers and whoops from an admiring audience of waddling lardbuckets.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Gilliver's Travels said:
Now, I am sure that "Stepping up to the Plate" originated as a baseball term... referring to meeting a seemingly impossible challenge and then performing heroics on the field of play.

But for me, this phrase now conjures up a very different image, one that is now impossible to dislodge.

A typically supersized American, approaching a restaurant table that's piled high with triple cheese and bacon burgers, pizzas, hotdogs, fries, ice cream and milk shakes.

Stepping up to the Plate... and scoffing the lot in one... to a chorus of cheers and whoops from an admiring audience of waddling lardbuckets.

That's very good! And will be the image I shall conjure up whenever I hear that phrase now.

:clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here