Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Fry in America

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anyone else watching this series which started last Sunday night (at least I think that's when it was) ?

Pretty good stuff so far, for me at least, and I've been genuinely surprised by Fry's affection for the States.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yes, very good so far, although the body farm was a bit of a shocker...and we just had to look at it and not experience the smell, mind you they do a pretty important job when you think about it. He seemed to enjoy the bourbon distillery and looked completely wankered.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Enjoyed it so far however I feel the series could be a lot longer as each subject / location could be more in depth.

Good presenter though and very easy style.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I've been enjoying it too, although like Beachy, I'd like to have seen some of the stuff gone into in a bit more depth.

That said though, it's still perfectly watchable and interesting.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's a shame it doesn't show a bit more about each state. What interested me was the Afro American lady commenting that she didn't find the Confederate flag intimidating. People can lose their jobs for having tattoo like that on them as, rather like the Cross of St George racist groups have taken to using that flag as a symbol of their beliefs. Most Southerners see the flag of their Southern heritage and are not racist at all.

Interesting too about Florida being in the South but not 'Southern'. That's true of Miami and other tourist areas but Northern Florida towards the Georgia border is as redneck as any other traditional Southern state.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think the thing about Florida is that it is a state that many retire to, as was suggested in the programme last night with comments about the snow-birds, mainly elderly Jewish people who go there for the winter. My experience of Florida was of meeting lots of people who had moved there from somewhere else, largely attracted by jobs in the tourist industry, this may help to mask its redneck roots and give it a somewhat cosmopolitain feel.

I agree with the comments about not spending enough time in each state, you could probably make a pretty interesting show on each one, but that would be incredibly time consuming. I am guessing that what the makers wanted to show was a few quirky or interesting facts about each one as they conducted a whistle stop tour, I think that they have just about got the balance right in that respect, avoiding becoming repetitive whilst maintaining our interest and giving the show some direction.

Last edited:

yet another celeb hoildaying programme - might as well be come dancer celeb in Yankee doodle dandy land.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's great and Fry is fantastic of course, but I think he's so determined to be so warm towards America that he's been entirely uncritical towards stuff that you know he'd otherwise object to. It was a bit odd for someone to stand up for slave ownership and for him not to say anything, for example.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Its very Michael Palinesque....even down to some of the graphics.

I preferred Francisco's trip from Venice to Istanbul. That was the best show of that genre on telly for years ( IMHO)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's great and Fry is fantastic of course, but I think he's so determined to be so warm towards America that he's been entirely uncritical towards stuff that you know he'd otherwise object to. It was a bit odd for someone to stand up for slave ownership and for him not to say anything, for example.

He wasn't very polite about Florida was he ?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I really like it. Would have loved to see him drive along the Florida Keys. Esp see him go to Dry Tortugas (Garden Key) and visit Fort Jefferson. A wonderful place and certainly worth seeing (can only visit by boat or seaplane)

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I caught the last half hour last night and thought he rushed through abit, noticed its only 6 episodes which really does'nt do YankyLand justice especially as he's seeing the whole place by taxi!
Was decent enought though to warrant another viewing next week.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Watched the first,and was a bit disappointed.As mentioned,each item is too brief,and SF seems far more relaxed chatting with intellectuals and fellow travellers.The interview with the bloke on the mountain railway was very stilted,for example,and SFs interest appeared low.

Still,good luck to the bloke (and G.R.Jones too) for managing to get a series which is a paid holiday.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Engaging man - all a bit predictable - but very watchable nevertheless. Was impressed that one of the gayest men in England managed to persuade the Kentucky rich kid to show the tattoo on his ass - and I think Fry even managed to brush his cheek - brilliant.

On the point about slave owners - it felt like he gave that comment enough room that it didn't need to be critiqued directly.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If I could recommend another programme the Story Of Maths on BBC Four has been brilliant.

.. really.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Wasn't sure old dear did to be honest. She was making the point that once it was made illegal, the slaves stayed on to become paid employees because the reality of the situation was that they didn't really have a choice.

Didn't she say they had nowhere else to go...

I may have heard it wrong....

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
As soon as she appreared Mrs TRHK piped up with "Daughters of the Confederacy" - I think we've met her during one of our trips to the US http://www.hqudc.org/.

She's a member of a group of very old ladies who can trace their direct line back to people who fought against the Yankees - they are mostly mad as brushes but very entertaining company. They believe that GB supported the South in the war (we lent them money, it's not quite the same is it) and that slaves generally preferred slavery because they know where they stood. When they found out that my wife is directly descended from someone who was on the Mayflower, they virtually wept with awe.

My take on her comment wasn't that it was meant to be racist in any way - but it was typical of their revisionist view of the War and their belief (or desire to believe) that the slaves preferred being with the masters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here