Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stelling's rant.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Thought our Jeff was a little OTT with his rant at the Football League when the result at Brentford kept them up. Anyone agree? After all doesn't the saying go 'cheats never prosper'?:facepalm:

sussexbornandbred

Dec 27, 2009
surely a rant is always a bit OTT otherwise you're just expressing an opinion rather than ranting!?

but anyway, i dont necessarily think it was OTT, i never realised the hartlepool side of the story that the booking hadnt and still hasnt been recorded on the football league website! at the end of the day though it really shouldnt have taken 5 weeks to arrive at a hearing to make it an issue on the last weekend!?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Nobody knew he had been booked, the sky sports reporter missed it, the bbc, score center, both official reports and so on all apparently missed it. I believe it didnt even come up on the FA website. Also, as Stelling said, the FA was closed between the Orient game he was booked in, and the monday we played due to easter. Hartlepool arrived back at gone midnight on the sunday evening/monday morning, none the wiser that he had been booked.
I think it would have been extremely harsh on Hartlepool had they gone down, so Stelling had a right to have a pop at the FA.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
So,it's truly all about sweet FA.

Go on,give 'em the points back.

Oh,and Southampton.I mean,it wasn't the fans or players fault that the company was living beyond its means.They would walk the play offs.Calderon could play in the Championship. Come on,you know it makes sense.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Nobody knew he had been booked, the sky sports reporter missed it, the bbc, score center, both official reports and so on all apparently missed it.

Even though it WAS recorded on the BBC text commentary? ???

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
They are guilty they are a professional outfit so should have every stat thats matters. I want a replay then we can kick ass & send them down properly.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I think he 'enhanced' some of the points. I don't think any club can defend itself in this situation, they were wrong and should not have kept the points, end of. For it to take 5 weeks to come to a decision though is an absolute disgrace

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I hadn't actually heard this side of the argument. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily excuse Hartlepool, it does show even further how uttery f***ing useless the FA are.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I hadn't actually heard this side of the argument. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily excuse Hartlepool, it does show even further how uttery f***ing useless the FA are.

Yes, the FA, who have to rely on the referee writing a report, sending it in, then the report going through the system, are more at fault than Hartlepool or Liddle, both of whom were actually at the game where the yellow card was produced.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Yes, the FA, who have to rely on the referee writing a report, sending it in, then the report going through the system, are more at fault than Hartlepool or Liddle, both of whom were actually at the game where the yellow card was produced.

Fair enough, but it shouldn't be the case that a referee can issue a yellow card only for it not to be recorded. Surely if it wasn't recorded then Hartlepool are left with the argument that it wasn't issued at all (or if it was, it was issued in error). Not excusing Hartlepool, it just seems like this involves the FA (or the people responsible for recording this sort of thing) have ballsed up on both sides.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I can understand why JS was angered, but if the FA had not punished them, they would have opened themselves up to criticism from everyone else.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I have said many times the delay was due to the fact that the FL and the FA both have to charge the club in the case of the FL and the player in the case of the FA. BOTH then have 14 days from receipt of the charge sheet in which to reply and request a personal hearing, which both did and then they have to set up a commission. I have used requesting a personal hearing as a delaying tactic when I wanted a player to player in a cup final. On one occassion a commission was set which would have meant him missing the final so we said that he was away working then so couldnt attend hence the commission was put back until after the final and he was duly suspended for the start of the next season. At county level unlike the FL it is a date thing from 1st - 28th August during which time we only played preseason friendlies and by playing the system he scored in the cup final which we won. This is done at all levels so I am sure Hartlepool did it in the hope of the hearing being after they were safe from relegation so the loss of points, which was an obvious penalty wouldnt have mattered, but subsequent results didnt help their cause.

Be interesting to see if they drop their idea of an appeal now as they have 28 days from the hearing to lodge an appeal.

One final point the player would have known he had been booked as he has to tell the ref his name and number, so to say nobody knew is utter rubbish.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here