Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Statement from Mr Barber

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
And you don't think the fact Gus was going on live TV on the same day they had been negotiating with him about his dismissal made that statement necessary?

This, absolutely. If they'd known that Gus was the sort of bloke to maintain a dignified silence when asked what was happening, then perhaps they could have waited. Given that they know him quite well, and that he was unlikely to pass up the opportunity to sound off in public on live tv, that was too big a risk for the club to take.

So, what you're saying is that it was Gus' fault for being a big-mouth? We couldn't risk letting him get the first post-negotiation word in on Sunday?

That's as maybe, but it still doesn't change the fact that the club's actions on Sunday night appear to contradict that quote I used.

If they cared about airing all this in public then they would have let Gus shoot his mouth off on TV and not given him and the BBC powerful ammunition with which to make the club look bad.

In other words, they could have just as easily waited until after the broadcast.

Last edited:

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
So, what you're saying is that it was Gus' fault for being a big-mouth? We couldn't risk letting him get the first post-negotiation word in on Sunday?

That's as maybe, but it still doesn't change the fact that the club's actions in Sunday night appear to contradict that quote I used.

If they cared about airing all this in public then they would have let Gus shoot his mouth off on TV and not given him and the BBC powerful ammunition with which to make the club look bad.

In other words, they could have just as easily waited until after the broadcast.

How could they know what Gus was going to say? How damaging it could have been. Is it not right for the club to protect itself by releasing the decision of the disciplinary panel as soon as it had been made?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Yes .. He has got more important stuff to do, so please let him get on with it, I'm sure he was pleased that you were pleased that you thought he wrote a good letter, did he get a gold star, i can only wonder how he found the time , ten minutes too.. Nice one. May try it myself..:rave::rave::rave:

Keep it up @gumbo43 at this rate your gonna get to your 50 posts in two years------have they all been :shit:

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
How could they know what Gus was going to say? How damaging it could have been. Is it not right for the club to protect itself by releasing the decision of the disciplinary panel as soon as it had been made?

Who cares if the club knew what Gus was going to say? That's not really relevant.

If Gus and his team were still in the dark about his position at 7:30 then he wouldn't have had anything new to say to the cameras, would he?

Yes it's the club's right to release its statements whenever it wants but it looks to me like this one was timed to garner maximum publicity, again, contradicting that line of Barber's email that I quoted.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Who cares if the club knew what Gus was going to say? That's not really relevant.

If Gus and his team were still in the dark about his position at 7:30 then he wouldn't have had anything new to say to the cameras, would he?

Yes it's the club's right to release its statements whenever it wants but it looks to me like this one was timed to garner maximum publicity, again, contradicting that line of Barber's email that I quoted.

But Gus and his team were not in the dark about his position were they, there were no more negotiations planned clearly

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
A well-written statement from Barber, and very consistent with Tony's Facebook video. Really feeling that these two communications are setting the record straight and counter-balancing Gus' victim act on the telly-box.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
A well-written statement from Barber, and very consistent with Tony's Facebook video. Really feeling that these two communications are setting the record straight and counter-balancing Gus' victim act on the telly-box.

Its great, I feel my stance is vindicated, my gut feeling that Gus has been playing games appears to be well founded.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
Glad to see this statement. Even though it's felt like it's dragged on, I didn't/haven't lost faith. Thanks for the reassurance.

Edit: I meant to say add that I didn't feel it had dragged on any longer than needed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Not just that, it is also saying TB & PB are completely together on these issues.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I don't think I will ever be the blokes biggest fan but at least he has the bollocks to address his critics head on and does not hide. A decent e mail to be fair.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
But Gus and his team were not in the dark about his position were they, there were no more negotiations planned clearly

Yes, negotiations had concluded by then, we are told, but we still don't know how much he and his team knew before the club announcement.

We don't actually know how much Gus already knew at 7:30 yesterday.

All I am saying is that the timing of the press release does not make the club look like they are trying to avoid conducting their "private business or that of our employees in public", as Barber's statement indicated.

I'm not taking sides here, I'm just stating what I believe to be a highly dubious statement, based upon events as I saw them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Then that is an even bigger criticism of TB. You are effectively saying he is not fulfilling his responsibilities as Chairman of this football club.

No it's not. I doubt very much TB pays Barber £150k and then micro-manages him. There will be some delegation of responsibility and decision making.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
blooms interview was a bit clearer as regards timings saying gus was aware of his impending dismissal prior to going on air. different meaning totally from pending used in that club statement.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Which is completely opposite to the majority of what was posted on here last night by some of our more precious members jumping up and down unnecessarily

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
No it's not. I doubt very much TB pays Barber £150k and then micro-manages him. There will be some delegation of responsibility and decision making.

In my experience of Chairman's relationships with CEOs a sensible CEO doesn't sneeze without speaking to the Chairman first.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here