Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

State the most obscure fact about Brighton & Hove you can possibly think of...

Flex Your Head

New Order played their first ever show in Brighton.
That's not actually true, they'd played 8 or 9 gigs before the Basement show allegedly took place, including 3 dates in New York. I say 'allegedly' as there's seemingly no evidence that the gig ever happened - no flyers, no setlist, no support band, nothing, nada, zilch, zero.

I saw them in March 1981 at Jenkinsons supported by Section 25 (who played with their backs to the audience and were shit). Tickets were £1.90 in advance, £2.50 on the door. I was only 15 but was fortunate enough to look older. My first over 18's gig was just over a year before that at the Top Rank - The Ramones and The Boys. Awesome gig even though there was a short power cut.

Brighton General Hospital was originally a workhouse. In the 1870s, the poor people of Brighton who were successful in applying for relief there were required to wear a uniform. The women wore blue and white striped dresses, which were the colours later adopted by a local football team. The men were put to work, breaking stones, and the women picked oakum. Residents were allowed only two outings a year, one in the summer and one to go to a pantomime in the winter. Use of Facebook was discouraged.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Freshfield Road has one of the longest and oldest examples of roadside Dutch Elm trees in the country

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
google it, not being a smart arse but I have previously done that, there are argus reports linking it to the murder of the young poss holmless girl in that cemetry at the bottom of Dyke rd a few years back, the murder weapon was hidden in a drain in nearby Cairo Avenue

Good work. Thanks.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Basker&HogBoat038.jpg

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Magnus Volk (he of the little yellow railway) was the first person in Brighton to light his house using electricity and also installed the first telephone system, connecting two houses in the Old Steine.

There is (or was) a nuclear bunker under Churchill Square.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
reply to BARREL OF FUN
The King flees for his life
Charles’ supporters fled into hiding and he had no choice but to follow, for capture would have inevitably meant following his fathers noble footsteps for appointment with the executioners axe. Hunted by a vengeful Cromwell, Charles fled south, eventually evading a detachment of troops in Sussex blocking the bridge at Bramber.

Now in the company of Lord Wilmost and a Colonel Gounter, they hid themselves in the fishing village of Brighthelmstone (now Brighton). The party took rooms at the George Inn in West Street where Colonel Gounter started looking for a way out. Through his acquaintance with a French merchant, he found himself in conversation with Nicholas Tattersell, captain of a filthy little 31ft coaster named the Surprise, which was lying in the mud of Southwick. Her normal trade was lugging coal from Newcastle round to Poole, but Captain Tattersell sniffed out the value of these secretive passengers and agreed to give them passage to France

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Black Rock is the English name for Dublin... Nowt to do with Brighton though:facepalm:

Not quite true. Black Pool is the English translation of the Irish Dubh Linn (although, confusingly, that's not the Irish name of the city.

Brighton used to have the only football league ground in 2 different counties. The home stands at Withdean were in East Sussex and the away stand was in Cornwall :)

Didn't Chester City used to have a stadium that was partly in Wales or was that an urban myth?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
The gate posts to Brighton station aren't actually gate posts, they're old cannons.

and APPARENTLY, but never checked i will say however is that the clocks on the palace pier, at preston park, and at blakers park, if marked with a ruler will point exactly north/south, not sure myself but i know the first one is true

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here