Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

State the most obscure fact about Brighton & Hove you can possibly think of...

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Brighton is home to the deepest hand dug well in the world.
Its as deep as as the empire state building is high.

Yep - it is at the entrance to the Nuffield in Woodingdean.

The yellow/orange colured chalk face overlooking Asda at the marina is one of the few examples of Coombe Rock in the country.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Laine as in North Laine means field

Hanover Crescent was the home of Sir Rowland Hill, the originator of the penny post

Anyone know why the house (traveling east it's on the left hand side) on the coast road coming in to Peacehaven has MURDER HOUSE painted on it?

Oh and I've already guessed it might have something to do with a murder before we get to smart!

google it, not being a smart arse but I have previously done that, there are argus reports linking it to the murder of the young poss holmless girl in that cemetry at the bottom of Dyke rd a few years back, the murder weapon was hidden in a drain in nearby Cairo Avenue

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Bon Jovi played their first ever UK gig at the Brighton Centre supporting KISS in 1984. Jon Bon Jovi thought this was a sign that Bon Jovi had made it to the big time until he walked into the centre and saw Gene Simmons painting the backdrop for the set.

D

Deleted User X18H

There were five Laines in old Brighthelmstone.

West Laine, East Laine, North Laine, Little Laine and Hilly Laine

Yep and that describes open areas of land not necessarily fields. But certainly not narrow thoroughfares.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Hove was actually (had to get that in) at the beginning of the last century, the Hollywood ( which didn't exist then) of the world. All the Film Studio's were just down the road from the Goldstone. ( Which also wasn't where it is now, in those days.)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
My surname is short of one letter or it would be the same as where I lived in Brighton.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the original/earliest name for the settlement of Brighton is "beorhthelm's tun". "beorht" is the saxon word "bright", "helm" is helmet or head wear and "tun" means a farm.

to HB&B, as interesting as it was, what the hell does your OP have to do with Brighton and Hove???

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
The 11th century St Nicholas Church is the oldest building in Brighton, commonly known as "The Mother Church

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here