Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Starter jobs in IT

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
HMRC was outsourced to Capgemini. Not sure if it still is.
Correct - IR (pre HMRC days) first outsourced to EDS in 1994 and in 2004 Capgemini (for software), along with Fujitsu (for tin) and BT (for comms) won the Aspire Contract. Then, in 2005, IR became HMRC and shortly after, some systems were then passed to Accenture for re-writes.

Gone to India, one of the Sunak companies I think.
Incorrect, the Aspire contract did not permit any HMRC work to be undertaken off-shore (outside of UK jurisdiction). Capgemini worked around this by bringing in (very cheap) Indian coders by the bus-load, paying their air-fares, visas and putting them up in local accommodation (these may, or may not be Sunak resources, I've no idea).

I worked on the HMRC account, on and off, from 2002 until I retired at the end of 2021, when I retired.
It is quite possible that things may have changed since ....
They have invested massively in migrating everything to the cloud and moving to more modern stuff like Agile, DEVOPS, and all things leading edge.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
No lies or whooshing.

What was handed over?
Could it have been completed code to support team as I know some 1st line support (helpdesk) did go out to India call centres. Could it have been a handover to Indian resources (teams) working over here? A lot of testing was done here in the UK by Indian resources bought over. And later, they bought over Indian developers too.

So handover to Indian resources in UK would have gone on but offshore development was a government no no.

Like I said, policy may have also changed since my days there. Those Indians were good at what they did and cheap as chips compared to UK resources.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here