Quality:

[yt]M1LMtQ8t6hQ[/yt]
[yt]6PQd7qOEBMo[/yt]
[yt]-6ZkJBTyKg0[/yt]
[yt]zCkNu9OxThc[/yt]

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Saw them down the Marquee in about '79. remains to this day one of the best gigs I ever went to. Remember going mental down the front. haven't doe that since.........................................

Last Sunday :lol:

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Thanks to the wonder world of music blogs I just downloaded the two Ruts DC albums Animal Now and Rhythm Collision which they did after Malcolm died with Paul Fox (who died 2 years ago) on vocals. Segs (bass player) still plays with the Alabama 3.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I saw The Rutts (Tribute band) I think years ago at the C2, will ask my old man exact details as he took me.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Saw them down the Marquee in about '79. remains to this day one of the best gigs I ever went to. Remember going mental down the front.

I saw them at the Electric Ballroom around that time. They were great, but they let off a couple of thunderflashes at the start that were inappropriately large for the narrow confines of that venue. Couldn't see the band for the first three songs because the room was full of smoke...

We also appear to have the same song in our signatures (and of course on the flip side of your avatar). Good choice... :thumbsup:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Who's the guy in the red trousers in Something that I said? He sounds just like Nicky Tesco....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc6hbiNVfbw

That's renowned smackhead Mal Owen.

Nicky Tesco didn't snarl nearly as much as that, and was much more concerned with taking the piss and just 'avin' a larf at Members gigs. I saw them about 6 times in 79/80 and they were all the more brilliant for it. They were one of the underrated live performers ever.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
The Ruts were class, unfortunately never saw them, but checked out their People Unite stable mates misty in roots a few times.

Agree with Frank they could have been huge if Owen had not died.
Used to play the 12 inch of west one shine on me endlessly

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
That's renowned smackhead Mal Owen.

Nicky Tesco didn't snarl nearly as much as that, and was much more concerned with taking the piss and just 'avin' a larf at Members gigs. I saw them about 6 times in 79/80 and they were all the more brilliant for it. They were one of the underrated live performers ever.

Fear on the Streets

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I saw them just the once but they were a pretty good band and Nicky Tesco had the stage presence to be a bigger star and liked messing around too much,

In 87/88 I worked with his wife and met him a few times, he was actually a nice bloke, far removed from the pop star persona.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Fear on the Streets
I used to have a black sweatshirt with the lyrics to Love In Vain on trhat I wore to poly until it fell apart, truly a wasted talent and what a debut album. They were without doubt the best proponents of dub from the punk ranks, end of....
You should seriously check out the CD in my earlier post on this thread, the first mix is by the remaining Ruts themselves and features a cello in place of the guitar hook, awesome.

I saw them just the once but they were a pretty good band and Nicky Tesco had the stage presence to be a bigger star and liked messing around too much,

In 87/88 I worked with his wife and met him a few times, he was actually a nice bloke, far removed from the pop star persona.

Do you know what he's doing now? I suppose there's little chance of this brilliant band being reformed.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Do you know what he's doing now? I suppose there's little chance of this brilliant band being reformed.

I think JC is still in music as a session player, and has his own band. You can find him on MySpace.

Nicky Tesco did go to the States, did a bit of acting, but think he is back now. Again MySpace is the place to find him, I saw the Members at the 1980 (or was it '79) Festival at the Brighton Centre just after Sound of the Suburbs came out. It was a very lively gig, and as always in those days you left drenched in a combination of sweat, saliva and snakebite.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Indeed it is. Legion - was a double A-side with Original Sin (GtG's avatar).

That must be a first for NSC. The same signature taken from an obscure song that the vast majority of posters have never heard. I saw them quite a few times in the early 80s. Often supported by the MeteorsSouthern Death Cult and remember Billy Duffy leaving to join them and the name shortening to the Cult. Saw TOH down the Top Rank and also a weird place called Neros in Portsmouth as well as the Lyceum in London in the early 80s. Bizarely saw them down the Concorde 2 about 6 months ago with Attilla supporting...30 years reunion tour. God that makes me feel old! kirk used to live in Hove I remember too! Wonder if he was a closet Albion fan and was he really shagging Boy George?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here