Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Starbucks, Cafe Nero's etc

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
:thumbsup:

As Toronto said; a cup, a teabag, and a kettle. At my desk. Not sitting behind a floor-to-ceiling window - look at me, look at me, I am sooooo cool.

Along with the "I dont rent an office or work from home cos' I sit here with free wifi".....:censored::thud:

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
im not a coffee person,but when we had our machine put in the shop,bewleys recommended this certain coffee,which costa also use,after the demo he said if you ever want to stay up all nite,clubbing or watchin boxing etc,have a double expresso,its the best thing.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Along with the "I dont rent an office or work from home cos' I sit here with free wifi".....:censored::thud:

Yep, also the sort of person who talks very loudly into their mobile on the bus or train, or someone who starts threads on NSC about themselves and where they plan to go on holiday, or summat.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Saw an episode of spendaholics ages ago, where the person being featured had a serious annual spend on takeout coffee (£2k or something)

The Spendaholic people advised her to make it at home but still use a takeout cup, and she wouldn't notice the difference.

I dislike instant coffee, but I've recently discovered coffee bags, which you use in the same way as teabags. A box of 20 or so is about £2. I reckon if I drank it out of a takeout cup it would taste pretty much the same as a takeaway latte, and at only 10% of the cost!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There was something on TV about the calories in an 'all the works' coffee and muffin. It was massive, the woman eating it, daily, would have been better off eating the entire MacDonalds menu.

Jul 20, 2003
the coffee from starbucks in western road (hove end) is SHIT

the place is SHIT

the staff are SHIT (some are pretty, but they're SHIT)

I'll have a cup of dead cock cancer puree whit mugwhamp jism top before those ****s see any of my pennies again

GACK

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

The probelm with that article is that they pick the most obviously fattening drinks - large white chocolate mocha with whipped. To be honest I don't know that many people that would regularly buy that drink. A regular cappucino isn't really too bad for you at all, and if you have skinny milk it has virtually no fat at all (and also has the added bonus that the flavour of coffee is much more pronounced).

I have to admit I'm a bit of a sucker for Starbucks, I hate their coffee but I sort of like their image - and I can't resist the red cups at christmas (I know, I know, shoot me now!). The best high street chain is Nero by a mile, best coffee and the cheapest. Costa is the worst - most expensive and tastes like dishwater. I really hate the fact that they charge you extra for an extra shot of coffee, once you've paid you're £2.50 or so, paying another 40p for a shot of coffee which costs them about 4p is really ridiculous - you should be able to have it as you like it.

The other thing I'm starting to hate about coffee shops is that the standards are slipping, which isn't really on when you're paying top prices for a simple drink. I don't mind paying a lot for a decent drink, but when they leave the milk sitting round for ages and check it's still warm with the scientific method of feeling it, don't bother pouring milk in and then spooning in foam to make a cappucino, or run a load of espresso shots into a jug then use them as and when they are ordered, I get pissed off.

I work in an independent coffee shop - does it show?!

The Grub

Nov 14, 2004
Hurstpierpoint
the coffee from starbucks in western road (hove end) is SHIT

the place is SHIT

the staff are SHIT (some are pretty, but they're SHIT)

I'll have a cup of dead cock cancer puree whit mugwhamp jism top before those ****s see any of my pennies again

GACK

Why are you so angry?

I used to work for Starbucks and the shop i worked at was great.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I think in summary these places would be greatly improved with a pump of lager and bitter + a couple of happy hours a day

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
I don't drink a lot of coffee but the stuff from those places tastes foul. Really, really foul.

We grind our own at home and it tastes so much better and doesn't cost £4 a cup or however much they cost from Starbucks.

I am fond of Intellegensia but am out of it and the shipping is something like $60 a pound.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If you are buying 2 or 3 cups daily, I think you ought to consider the cost. If like me its once or twice a week, I couldn't care less if a large latte costs me £1.50 or £2.50.

My favourite is actually Pret - I wish there were more of them.

When I am dragged 'shopping' with my wife [she shops, I wander about], I like to take an hour out, to sit on a comfy sofa, with a big newspaper, out of the throngs of shoppers. At £2.50 its worth every penny - the coffee is just a bonus.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I love Starbucks, always have, don't have one everyday like I used to (that was a bit expensive) but every now and then its ok...it is expensive but hey ho...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If you are buying 2 or 3 cups daily, I think you ought to consider the cost. If like me its once or twice a week, I couldn't care less if a large latte costs me £1.50 or £2.50.

My favourite is actually Pret - I wish there were more of them.

When I am dragged 'shopping' with my wife [she shops, I wander about], I like to take an hour out, to sit on a comfy sofa, with a big newspaper, out of the throngs of shoppers. At £2.50 its worth every penny - the coffee is just a bonus.
I didn't think you gave money to McDonalds. ???

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I didn't think you gave money to McDonalds. ???

Interesting that - I didn't know McD's owned Pret (well 33% of from what I've just learnt) - you learn something everyday! Must admit I'm not a fan of the conglomerate fast food chain which is McDonalds, however I have had some rather tasty sandwhiches and drinks from Pret - quite a contradiction in terms really!! :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here