Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stanmer Stadium

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Obviously there will be naming rights but it is likely that an actual stadium name will also be incuded if the place is ever built. Can the name make no mention of the lousy mock village with the A27 running through it. I suggest it becomes Stanmer Stadium.

Perhaps if the original plans had stated that the stadium site would be near the uni and not Fulkmer village, some of the green idiots who don't know the site might not have interfered. As it is, everyone in F***mer mock-village (with the exception of Derek Chapman) should be left to their masturbatory fantasies about living in an unspoiled downland village - onanists one and all!
Bring on Stanmer Stadium!

Oct 25, 2003
they made a mistake from the off naming it "falmer", if they'd named it "moulsecoomb" stadium or something they would be FAR less objection

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
tommy boy said:
they made a mistake from the off naming it "falmer", if they'd named it "moulsecoomb" stadium or something they would be FAR less objection

Absolutely. Associating it with that piss-poor excuse for a village was the biggest mistake in the whole saga. They should have just named it Brighton Stadium.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
At least it has a claim to be IN Moulsecoomb.

Unlike Moulsecoomb Station.

:)
Not wishing to be pedantic, but the original Moulsecoomb hamlet was near where the old College of Technology building is. All that remains is a white half timbered 14th century cottage I think.
Perhaps Falmer HS should go back to being Stanmer School.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
mona said:
Not wishing to be pedantic, but the original Moulsecoomb hamlet was near where the old College of Technology building is. All that remains is a white half timbered 14th century cottage I think.
Perhaps Falmer HS should go back to being Stanmer School.

That's right, that building next to the station is Moulsecoomb Place. Old maps do show the old hamlet to be there - although I thought it was a bit further north than the old poly.

British Rail (as it then was) must have looked at some old maps when they named it.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
tommy boy said:

I've said something similar a couple of times-East Brighton Stadium, Moulsecoomb or Stanmer could have been a working name until work began. We can't undo it unfortunately-FFA it is.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
BarrelofFun said:
I don't think it would have made any difference in the slightest, whatever it was called.

Of course it would. I have come across loads of people who know nothing about the situation but say they don't think it should be built IN Falmer purely because of the name. The process may have been similar but there would have been far fewer busy-bodies.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Rangdo said:
Of course it would. I have come across loads of people who know nothing about the situation but say they don't think it should be built IN Falmer purely because of the name. The process may have been similar but there would have been far fewer busy-bodies.

But the only people of any consequence, ie the LDC and Falmer Parish would have objected anyway.

LDC haven't conducted a poll of its residents, the councillors were against it anyway.

I don't like the name Falmer anyway. It should have been named Brighton & Hove as that is where the bulk of the stadium is. I used to live in Withdean, but always said B&H.

Gwylan said:
That's right, that building next to the station is Moulsecoomb Place. Old maps do show the old hamlet to be there - although I thought it was a bit further north than the old poly.

British Rail (as it then was) must have looked at some old maps when they named it.
I don't recall that being the case at all.

I was involved in the Moulsecoomb station project, because East Sussex County Council funded the footbridge and access paths to the new station. Our expectation was that the station would be called Hollingdean. But BR just went ahead with an announcement that it would be Moulsecoomb.

It's possible that the section of track had originally been called Moulsecoomb (or something related to Moulsecoomb) by the LB&SCR - those old names have a habit of resurfacing from time to time.

"Montpelier" is an example. The railway bridge that passes over New England Road and the bottom end of Old Shoreham Road carries track that the railway calls Montpelier. A few years back, when major works needed to be done to the bridge, BR referred to the project as the "Montpelier Road Bridge Scheme". That confused everyone, because there is no railway anywhere near Montpelier Road. It turned out that BR meant a Scheme relating to a "Road Bridge" (ie a bridge over a road, as opposed to a river) in the "Montpelier" section of the railway.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

"Montpelier" is an example. The railway bridge that passes over New England Road and the bottom end of Old Shoreham Road carries track that the railway calls Montpelier. A few years back, when major works needed to be done to the bridge, BR referred to the project as the "Montpelier Road Bridge Scheme". That confused everyone, because there is no railway anywhere near Montpelier Road. It turned out that BR meant a Scheme relating to a "Road Bridge" (ie a bridge over a road, as opposed to a river) in the "Montpelier" section of the railway.
Brilliant. This is what makes nsc so interesting for old anorak wearers like me. I'd often wondered about Montpelier Junction.

Now why are Stanford Road, Stanford Ave, Stanford Close and the Stanford (naffly re-named) Arms separate and a considerable distance away from each other? Possibly all on land owned by the family.

Getting back to the original point, Tim Carder has reasonably suggested Westlaine Stadium. I'd be very much against this simply because Westlain were the worst football school in my younger days.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
mona said:
Brilliant. This is what makes nsc so interesting for old anorak wearers like me. I'd often wondered about Montpelier Junction.

Now why are Stanford Road, Stanford Ave, Stanford Close and the Stanford (naffly re-named) Arms separate and a considerable distance away from each other? Possibly all on land a long way from each other.

Getting back to the original point, Tim Carder has reasonably suggested Westlaine Stadium. I'd be very much against this simply because Westlain were the worst football school in my younger days.
The point about the Stanford names is that virtually all of Brighton is built on what was the Stanford Estate.

Regarding the Montpelier Road Bridge, the story is not that convoluted. What is now New England Road was once called Montpelier Road. It stretched from the seafront, up to the Seven Dials (as is now) all the way down to what is now Preston Circus. The road name changed after the bridge was built.

Last edited:

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
tommy boy said:

This is SO true.

Imagine every news article for the last 6 years not feeling the need to cut to a picture of the f**king pond everytime they started a report..

Would have been so much easier to get public support if there had been an alternative name used. The East Brighton Stadium would have done.

HUGE PR cock up I'm afraid.

mona said:
Now why are Stanford Road, Stanford Ave, Stanford Close and the Stanford (naffly re-named) Arms separate and a considerable distance away from each other? Possibly all on land owned by the family.
I used to live in Stanford Road.

Yes. The land was owned by the Stanford family, who ended up living at Preston Manor. They were major shareholders in the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway and developed housing for railway workers, as well as having an obvious interest in making Brighton a bigger place - to encourage more use of the railway.

Last edited:

Why don't we call the stadium Stanford Bridge?

And - bearing in mind that Withdean is at the North End of the old parish of Preston - we could change the name of the Club to Preston North End.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Why was it called Montpelier in the first place?
What's the connection between this

brighton1-200x160.jpg

and this?

montpellier.jpg

And why do I care? That no-one can answer.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The only mistake of the whole campaign which I said 2 years ago was to call it Falmer, it should have been called Site A or North Moulescoomb or the University site.

Falmer is percieved to be a idylic rural setting to the cretins that live there and the TV reports when in fact it is a shit hole full of people who watch " to the manor born " all day and night and go to the Ovingdean operatic society for their social lives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here