Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Standing at Luton Last Night

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Yet again at Luton we all stood all the time as is usually the norm at Brighton away games, but why?

Simply because we prefer to for a whole myriad of collective and individual reasons. The Scarmen report following Hillsboro' is about 15 years old now. Things have moved on.

We have cctv, improved segregation, relatively higher addmission prices, better stewarding, computerised ticket allocation systems, better policing and intelligence, and a different mix of people attending to that in the late 80's.

The space we had to stand in in between the seats at Luton seemed smaller than usual. I noticed this when attempting, in time honoured tradition, to stamp my feet to keep warm on the terrace. The seats served merely as obstacles and an inconvenience.

Surely it's about time that some authoratitive body could be implemented to re-visit the idea of bringing back a limited amount of terracing at certain grounds, if only for a trial period initially, in the interests of the paying customer.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Happy Seagull said:
Did you try sitting in those seats? Even if a Policeman had ordered me to, i couldn't have done so.

I would have got DVT sitting all match. you get more leg room on EasyJet than there (me being a sad git i checked!)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
There really should by now be an area of grounds where standing is acceptable. It causes so many problems now, not least of which it will always upset some people who either can't or don't want to stand.

I have two gentlemen sit behind me at Withdean who are in, shall we say their advanced years, and it makes things very awkward when people stand in front of me, so I stand, and they then can't see. Subsequently, if I ask those in front of me to sit down, I get abused for being a boring git and not getting behind the team etc, when all I'm doing is being considerate to those behind me, who are less able to stand.

I personally do not have a problem with people standing, but surely even something as simple as allowing the back 10 rows or so to stand would go a long way to alleviating the problem.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
the legroom was shocking

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Happy Seagull said:
Did you try sitting in those seats? Even if a Policeman had ordered me to, i couldn't have done so.

Beat me to it.

I tried to sit down at halftime, and gave up about 3 minutes later. If that stand was fully populated, it would be impossible for more than half the people to sit down.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I am six feet three so literally couldn't sit down. I thought Leeds was bad but that took the biscuit.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Majority of people prefer the atmosphere when standing, so they stand.

One day the authorities will realise that it's SAFER to stand on a terrace than have people standing among the seats.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It was a typical, seats on old terrace scenario. Which is always awful. Complete f***ing dive, the whole place, not that I'm bitter or anything.:angry:

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
please bring back terracing - just one stand split in 2 for away and home fans - then the rest of the families etc can go and sit down and eat sarnies while the "singers and swayers" can have a good olf fashioned laaaarf!!:clap:

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
I was quite happy standing up, this way I could keep warm and get more involved in the atmosphere.

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
John Boy said:

Plenty of legroom….

I'm not a big guy but when I looked at the seats last night I thought even I would struggle to sit in those seats, prehaps even break one if I sat down.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Poor old Barnet Seagull!!!

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
'Tis a bit silly when anyone over six foot is facing an impossible task sitting down. You can just about squat sideways, but this would be impossible if everyone was sitting. I fail to see how that was safer than proper terracing - there have been numerous grounds I've been to where half the people have fallen over and between the seats when we've scored.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here