Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stage and film musicals.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
As NSC seems calm with everyone getting along at present I thought a nice thread that everyone will agree on. Stage and film musicals.......what utter garbage. Who in their right mind would want to go and see Dirty Dancing, Les Mis, We will rock you etc etc. you'd have to mad wouldn't you ?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
School of Rock was more acceptable, eh. Better when it's a film about musicians, when it would be stupid if they didn't play a single song, than films about normal people suddenly overtaken by an urge to warble their internal thoughts.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Some great ones

Rocky Horror

Return to forbidden planet

Jersey Boys

Thats three to start.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
film makes the musical redundant. there are so many artistic devices you can use to tell a story that breaking into song is pointless.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As with all artistic things, all down to personal taste.

There are lots of good musicals that are well worth seeing on stage (Cabaret, Fiddle of the Roof, Chicago, Jersey Boys...) The problem at the moment would seem tat following the success of Mama Mia and We will rock you, that a formula has started of buidling poor musicals around Pop acts (Spice up your live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) what next Anachy in the UK - The Musical.

Opera anyone?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
As with all artistic things, all down to personal taste.

Opera anyone?

Pah........... Firstly you declare your undying love for him or her, then you sing a bit about it for an hour or so and then one of them ends up dying (normally stabbed) and then you sing a few dirges about that for the last 15 minutes. Poppycock.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As NSC seems calm with everyone getting along at present I thought a nice thread that everyone will agree on. Stage and film musicals.......what utter garbage. Who in their right mind would want to go and see Dirty Dancing, Les Mis, We will rock you etc etc. you'd have to mad wouldn't you ?

:bigwave:

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I've seen Les Mis on stage 3 times and will def be going again, it's the best thing I've ever seen! We Will Rock you wasn't so bad either. Maybe some people appreciate top quality music, even if it's not everyone's taste?

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Witches of Eastwick

Slice of Saturday Night

And you can't forget the all-time classic Joseph and his Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat

I don't believe that cinema has made theatre redundant; they are both excellent forms of entertainment and I particularly enjoy watching people actually singing and acting 'for real'.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I've seen Les Mis on stage 3 times and will def be going again, it's the best thing I've ever seen! We Will Rock you wasn't so bad either. Maybe some people appreciate top quality music, even if it's not everyone's taste?

Do you keep falling asleep and missing the end then ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

They played some of the music from Les Mis on radio 2 the other day when I was at work. I couldn't believe people would actually pay to go to the theatre and listen to it live. ......

And Russell Crowe ffs.

"Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or I will start singing."

Last edited:

I am sure that "Les Miserables" is a truly wonderous cinematic or theatrical experience. However whenever I hear it mentioned I always think that it should be a "Viz" character, and whenever I hear a song from it I automatically think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-fG8c-CMoU

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
They played some of the music from Les Mis on radio 2 the other day when I was at work. I couldn't believe people would actually pay to go to the theatre and listen to it live. ......

And Russell Crowe ffs.

Russell Crow can't sing! As much as the film was very good, the singing in the stage show is a hell of a lot better. The exception in the film is the talented Samantha Barks who played Eponine, she has appeared on stage and in the film and is superb in both. and bloody gorgeous too!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
That Shakyspere waller didn't find it necessary to add music and dancing to Romeo and Juliet, till a few years later he tried it, renamed it West Side Story, then a lot more people saw it. Funny thing is the Performing Rights Society couldn't find him and gave all the royalties to a couple of chancers who claimed to have been responsible for it. :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here