Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St georges park?

WILL IT BENEFIT GRASS ROOTS FOOTIE,THE SUSSEX SUNDAY YOUTH LEAGUE AND YOUTH FOOTBALL IN SUSSEX IS IN A COMPLETE MESS CAN'T WE SORT THIS OUT FIRST?:facepalm: You had cup games this weekend with cricket scores and many teams giving the game to the opponents rather than get thrashed,whats the point of this? Youth cups should be graded so you don't have these teams playing each other,also the leagues should be in a pyramid system so the top teams have competitive leagues.Too many good sides sneaking off to inferior leagues so coaches look great in front of parents.:blush:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The thing is, we won't be able to judge the success of the changes to youth coaching and the impact of St. Georges' Park for at least a decade. It took the French a decade to become world champions after building Clairefontaine. I think it'll be longer before we see an impact.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Apart from the full size indoor pitch, Albions looks better. Local Football Academies for local people! ( Except Sompting Anti's.)

timthumb.php

The thing is, we won't be able to judge the success of the changes to youth coaching and the impact of St. Georges' Park for at least a decade. It took the French a decade to become world champions after building Clairefontaine. I think it'll be longer before we see an impact.

Its hard enough to get coaches going local for weekend training,how is going to help half way up the country?
Rather than have the fa badges courses taking part over weekends when the coaches have team commitments why not make them a local evening class(summer)
Also it would be a good idea if they failed a few on the level 1 course,at the moment its a numbers game with appalling coaches slipping through.
There is so much to do that st georges park cannot affect,they need to sort out the grass roots first.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Agreed - That's the same with any academy, slightly depressing to think we're probably going to be sh*t for another 10 years or so! Still the right thing to do though.....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Of course it will help local leagues. It's all well and good asking for local courses but whose going to run them? Surely the point is that St Georges will train coaches and they will go away and train other coaches at local level but those expecting an overnight change are deluded. Much like the Albion's new training ground which will be up and running by 2014 hopefully will probably not benefit the Albion first team for 5 or more years. However, I very much suspect that it will be used as a centre to train local coaches.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
WILL IT BENEFIT GRASS ROOTS FOOTIE,THE SUSSEX SUNDAY YOUTH LEAGUE AND YOUTH FOOTBALL IN SUSSEX IS IN A COMPLETE MESS CAN'T WE SORT THIS OUT FIRST?:facepalm: You had cup games this weekend with cricket scores and many teams giving the game to the opponents rather than get thrashed,whats the point of this? Youth cups should be graded so you don't have these teams playing each other,also the leagues should be in a pyramid system so the top teams have competitive leagues.Too many good sides sneaking off to inferior leagues so coaches look great in front of parents.:blush:

The problem is that the County FA make it compulsorary for ALL affiliated teams to enter their County Cup competitions, so you end up with weak teams travelling the width of the county in the middle of winter going to the top teams for a thrashing. Needs the FA to allow teams to withdraw from the CC competitions.
With the number of clubs, teams and age groups involved you are always going to have stronger and weaker teams. The FA seem to think that every player has the potential to become Lionel Messi. It doesn't work like that - some kids just want a game of football without all the pressure of being excellant.
Most youth leagues do now have seeded divisions and that bit seems to work OK, provided that the Leagues are vigilant in ensuring that clubs are requesting appropriate seedings.
Agree that the facilities to train coaches could be improved by (a) having more courses availabable at convenient locations, and (b) at times more suited to these volunteers who have a day job.

The problem is that the County FA make it compulsorary for ALL affiliated teams to enter their County Cup competitions, so you end up with weak teams travelling the width of the county in the middle of winter going to the top teams for a thrashing. Needs the FA to allow teams to withdraw from the CC competitions.
With the number of clubs, teams and age groups involved you are always going to have stronger and weaker teams. The FA seem to think that every player has the potential to become Lionel Messi. It doesn't work like that - some kids just want a game of football without all the pressure of being excellant.
Most youth leagues do now have seeded divisions and that bit seems to work OK, provided that the Leagues are vigilant in ensuring that clubs are requesting appropriate seedings.
Agree that the facilities to train coaches could be improved by (a) having more courses availabable at convenient locations, and (b) at times more suited to these volunteers who have a day job.

Could solve the cup in balance by splitting the leagues and having two cups,My thought was to have regional leagues that feed a youth premier league this would mean the top players playing the top players,although the travelling might be long it would be for competitive high level football,could have this premier league on astro and with proper officials but this would cost.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Or we could do what actually works, and not play competetive leagues until 16 or 17 years old, like they do in Brazil, Spain and Portugal. Develop young players as rounded footballers who are comfortable on the ball and can play anywhere, rather than sticking the big lad up front to try and win the league.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
I'm surprised it only cost £100m to build, it's absolutely huge and the facilities look quality. I mean it's only a tad more expensive than Falmer.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Or we could do what actually works, and not play competetive leagues until 16 or 17 years old, like they do in Brazil, Spain and Portugal. Develop young players as rounded footballers who are comfortable on the ball and can play anywhere, rather than sticking the big lad up front to try and win the league.
Very much this.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Although I share your sentiments, if you think those countries are full of 'a' grade teams and coaches shaking hands and appreciating every bit of skill whilst forgiving every missed placed pass then I am afraid it just isnt the reality.

Its a far deeper culturally rooted reason why those countries produce 'that kind of player'.

Many leagues here are already 'non competitive', however it doesn't stop many of the youth coaches making it an absolute binfest of a game.

You only have to look at some of the posts on here about Poyets tactical inefficiencies, always starts with 'I LIKE OUR PASSING GAME but.......then the clichés begin, like 'big target man' .... 'play the channels' ..... and 'get behind them' etc. its all clear what they really enjoy and wish to watch.

They are not necessarily wrong, just different and certainly not a blueprint to develop the technicians top level football requires.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My wife was invited up there for a tour last month, if our training complex is half as good it will be immense, the medical and rehabilliation sections are second to none

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Although I share your sentiments, if you think those countries are full of 'a' grade teams and coaches shaking hands and appreciating every bit of skill whilst forgiving every missed placed pass then I am afraid it just isnt the reality.

Its a far deeper culturally rooted reason why those countries produce 'that kind of player'.

Many leagues here are already 'non competitive', however it doesn't stop many of the youth coaches making it an absolute binfest of a game.

You only have to look at some of the posts on here about Poyets tactical inefficiencies, always starts with 'I LIKE OUR PASSING GAME but.......then the clichés begin, like 'big target man' .... 'play the channels' ..... and 'get behind them' etc. its all clear what they really enjoy and wish to watch.

They are not necessarily wrong, just different and certainly not a blueprint to develop the technicians top level football requires.

Excellent post.

There is no such thing as non competitive games in this country football under 7,s 8's do not keep results but the screaming from parents/relatives is incredible.Nothing wrong with competitive games just need to be small sided with decent coaches(development over results) and parents that keep their gobs closed. School sports are also a shambles can we have real sports coaches solely concentrating on the sports. Futsal in every junior school would give are nation a chance of competing in the future:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 18477

Wow! Wish I could train in facilities like that! Sensational!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
we will see in like 10 years,i think a lot of people on here make very good points,but i think the main one for me,is not the kids,its the coaches that are training them,a lot of kids nowadays are coached by level one coaches,(basic).
The problem is the higher up you get the more cost it intails,and alot havent the time or money to go onto next level.
Ex players that are getting into the coaching side get 50% of,WHY?,think this is just as important.

we will see in like 10 years,i think a lot of people on here make very good points,but i think the main one for me,is not the kids,its the coaches that are training them,a lot of kids nowadays are coached by level one coaches,(basic).
The problem is the higher up you get the more cost it intails,and alot havent the time or money to go onto next level.
Ex players that are getting into the coaching side get 50% of,why?,think this is just as important.

And ex players won't want to coach our kids, academy staff is what they will be:rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here