Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St Georges Day Holiday VOTE

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Whilst I agree that St Georges day SHOULD be a public holiday in England. This poll is a farce. It could be national Hitler day, people would still vote for an extra day off.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So let me get this right, that would be Good Friday and Easter Monday Bank Holidays in early April, then St. George's Day Bank Holiday on 23rd April, then Mayday Bank Holiday on 1st May, then the other May Bank Holiday on 31st May.

Does anyone do any f***ing work anymore?

I have no problem with the principle of St George's Day being a public holiday ... apart from the date.

Piling on top of each other, we'd have Good Friday, Easter Monday, St George's Day and the May Day holiday.

This year, that would be 14 April, 17 April, 23 April and 1 May - four public holidays in the space of just over a couple of weeks.

It's the long gaps between August Bank Holiday and Christmas (or New Year and Easter) that need to be broken up.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Why should we have a public holiday in honour of someone who died 1,700 years ago, and who's main claim to fame was being beheaded?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is my writing invisible or something?

:rolleyes:

:down:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Grendel said:
Why should we have a public holiday in honour of someone who died 1,700 years ago, and who's main claim to fame was being beheaded?

Who cares why? It's a day off. Thats good enough for me.

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
Grendel said:

But he killed a dragon. That's worth a day off in my book. :p

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Grendel said:

So you work over Christmas then

:jester:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Very f***ing funny Watford.

It's all very well accidentally repeating on page 11 of a thread what somebody said on page 9, but this thread was 5 mins old!

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
REDLAND said:
So you work over Christmas then

:jester:

Last year was the first year since 2001 that I didn't work on Christmas Day.

EDIT: Incidentally, Christmas was originally a Pagan festival that was hijacked by the church.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lord Bracknell said:
No. It took me about ten minutes to post my thoughts, because the phone rang.

I hope it was LDC telling you that the application for a JR had all been a terrible mistake and they were very sorry. :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How very dare they interrupt!

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
i wont be voting for that. being self employed i dont get holiday pay and cannot afford anymore time off. also since henry 8th we are not a catholic country so dont have a saint. as that is a catholic thing. so you will never get a holiday for it anyway. wasting your time.
also why should we celebrate some turkish guy slaying a dragon. dunno if anyone missed this but dragons dont exsist. so basically the turkish guy that didnt do anything and is catholic. the country being church of england and you want a holiday for that. think about it. AINT GONNA HAPPEN.
sorry rant over. :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Isn't is the case that we have the lowest number of public holidays in western Europe? We only have eight. Apparently Austria has 17. Most others have between 10-15. Successive UK governments have banged on about extra holidays, only to be labelled 'workshy'.

There was a move to celebrate 'Trafalgar Day' (October 5), perfect timing in the calendar, but it was decreed by the *ahem* PC Brigade that it would upset the French.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Who wants a Bank Holiday in bloody October?! I support the idea of a Day For Britain in July when it's barbecue weather.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Grendel said:

and was either Spanish, Portuguese or Turkish, depending on what version of history you believe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here