Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St Georges Day April 23rd, anyone??

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
It's not acusations of racism which keep St Georges day down, it's apathy. If we're going to change it you need to come up with some better ideas than getting pissed, things that will involve the whole community.

The St Georges Parade seems a good idea, perhaps we could get more than the cubs involved.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Voroshilov said:
It's not acusations of racism which keep St Georges day down, it's apathy. If we're going to change it you need to come up with some better ideas than getting pissed, things that will involve the whole community.

The St Georges Parade seems a good idea, perhaps we could get more than the cubs involved.

Didn't somebody in Brighton get into a huge ruck with the council because they hung a Cross of St. George flag from a window ?

In the US people can get fired for merely having a Rebel (Confederate) tattoo. Many Southerners there have them as a sign of their allegiance with Southern tradition however it doesn't make them any more racist than people who proudly show the Cross of St. George.

Just because groups such as the KKK and BNP hijack these symbols it gives Carte Blanche to the PC folks to make a fuss about nothing. Why shouldn't people be proud of their heritage ?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
bhaexpress said:

In the US people can get fired for merely having a Rebel (Confederate) tattoo. Many Southerners there have them as a sign of their allegiance with Southern tradition however it doesn't make them any more racist than people who proudly show the Cross of St. George.

The confederate flag was the symbol of a proslavery movement, you can't really argue that it has racist overtones.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Voroshilov said:
The confederate flag was the symbol of a proslavery movement, you can't really argue that it has racist overtones.

That's true I agree but it's also a symbol to Southerners who feel about as much allgiance to Washingon as the Scots feel towards Downing Street.

There was a classic incident there a couple of years ago. A white man married to a black woman was fired from his job for having a Rebel Flag on his bicep. You couldn't see it and he also offered to have it removed but this still didn't save his job. How long before the Cross of St. George get's the same treatment ?

I don't profess to being particularly patriotic but it does seem that English people are these days almost embarrassed to celebrate St George's Day.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

I don't profess to being particularly patriotic but it does seem that English people are these days almost embarrassed to celebrate St George's Day. [/B]

But why? Is it because we aren't patriotic? I don't think so. I wonder if we don't celebrate because we already have a national celebration of English nationalism in Bonfire Night.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Voroshilov said:
But why? Is it because we aren't patriotic? I don't think so. I wonder if we don't celebrate because we already have a national celebration of English nationalism in Bonfire Night.

Very good point that. I have to admit I don't even think about St George's Day but I still recogonise peoples right to show the flag whenever and whereever they wish.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
St Georges Day should be a day of mass celebration. We happily let everyone else celebrate "their" day whether it be Chinese New Year, or St. Patricks day, so come on why can't we get the bunting out and have a day of drunken merriment.

And this year seems an excellent time to start as it also coincides with the day my second child is due to be born. :drink:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I could be wrong here but isn't English the most widely used langauge on Earth apart from Caontonese Chinese ?

That says something although many would say (not without some justication) that ot's down to Imperialism. Others will say it's down to the acheivements of the nation.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
despratefan3 said:
ok, so what will our national drink be?

It can't be Guinness (Ireland!), or Stella (Belgium?), any decent wine would have to come from sunnier climes (Ditchling doesnt really count? bloddy pricey, too)...

Cider, Pimms and Gin cocktials all round then!

:eek: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Every St George's Day I settle down in my local for a few pints of SPITFIRE Ale.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
bhaexpress said:
I could be wrong here but isn't English the most widely used langauge on Earth apart from Caontonese Chinese ?

I think you are indeed correct, and maybe we could there celebrate the day on the basis of it being the date our greatest ever playwrite was born.

April 23rd, was indeed the day our good lord gave us William Shakespear I believe.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Fortunately in Scotland we have a patron Saint who is at least something remotley to dow ith our country.

Typical English, you get terribly overexcited by the whole St Georges day thing and then forget that you are, like all of us a mich mash of Saxon, Celt, Norseman, Gaul, Roman, Germanic, heritage that is impossible to seperate from the other.

I think, (and I say this with refernece only to your national sportsteams, not the country itself) you should find a Patron Saint who truly embodies your own achievemnts and expectations.

Possibly Sir Robin from Pythons Holy Grail.

He turned his back and he ran away.......etc

Bunch of bottlers who won't win anything more than us.

Quualification for tournaments is just not enough any more. But that is all you are ever going to manage.

Welcome my friends to the world of ultimate failure, close-shaves and mediocrity.:lolol:

When I was just a little boy (to coin a phase) St Paddy's day was nothing special, it has literally been developed (hijacked) by Guiness. Well great for them.

The English media and the Government are middle class and Londoners, they just can't relate to a working class act like having a good bank holiday, to celebrate your national saint and have a couple of :drink: .

To get St George's day on the map will require the brewery's to latch on to it. Directors, and especially Tetley have jumped onto the England national side. Now its up to them to do a promote the national saint. Whilst I prefer this wasn't the option I can't see any other way it will get the promotion it deserves.

LC

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Digweeds Trousers said:

Quualification for tournaments is just not enough any more. But that is all you are ever going to manage.

Yes but we usually qualify. Anyway, this is a Brighton and Hove Ablion board not Albion Rovers :D :D :D :D

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
London Calling said:
When I was just a little boy (to coin a phase) St Paddy's day was nothing special, it has literally been developed (hijacked) by Guiness. Well great for them.

The English media and the Government are middle class and Londoners, they just can't relate to a working class act like having a good bank holiday, to celebrate your national saint and have a couple of :drink: .

To get St George's day on the map will require the brewery's to latch on to it. Directors, and especially Tetley have jumped onto the England national side. Now its up to them to do a promote the national saint. Whilst I prefer this wasn't the option I can't see any other way it will get the promotion it deserves.

LC

The whole class thing is in my opinion rubbish.

As for the rest of your post it seems to me you're calling for St Georges day to be exploited for commercial gain. We'll end up with another fake holiday like Mothers Day, or Halloween so that some brewery can make money out of hangovers and pavements full of vomit.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Voroshilov said:
The whole class thing is in my opinion rubbish.

As for the rest of your post it seems to me you're calling for St Georges day to be exploited for commercial gain. We'll end up with another fake holiday like Mothers Day, or Halloween so that some brewery can make money out of hangovers and pavements full of vomit.

Well, St Patrick's Day is certainly exploited for commercal gain. Why else would the brewers spend money on TV advertising ? In the US it's even worse, one of the biggest celebrations of the year in some areas.

I am not calling for it t be exploited for commercial gain but I cannot see how in the UK of 2005, that it will become part of English conciousness, unless it is marketed. Who else would market the day apart from the brewery's? Plus, only a few weeks ago, President Blair was asked by a welsh MP about the opportunity for a St David's Day bank holiday. Blair dismissed it accordingly, stating that it would be bad for businesses. He can't really run that agrument if businesses are backing and promoting St. George's day?:lol:

LC

Last edited:

mr turd

Nov 22, 2004
READING
Yeah time to make paddy's day look stupid:drink: :drink:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
f;ag, council etc..

bhaexpress said:
Didn't somebody in Brighton get into a huge ruck with the council because they hung a Cross of St. George flag from a window ?

Just because groups such as the KKK and BNP hijack these symbols it gives Carte Blanche to the PC folks to make a fuss about nothing. Why shouldn't people be proud of their heritage ?

this was featured in the argus i think - some place in shoreham(?) had various flags on display and someone kicked up, so the council told hum to take it down. though the local MO got on the case, and made them see sense (something to do with all the flags at this place were ALSO displayed at Euro HQ...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here