Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St Georges Day April 23rd, anyone??

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
come on, lets make 2005 thr start of something special!

i canr beleive some pub landlords are NOT getting time extensions approved, as on other 'saints' days..

lets have a party-

roast beef, roast potatoes, washed down wiv few pints of zider!

and of course some non PC games - conkers, marbles, dragon slaying etc!

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I agree totally - let's march on 10 Downing Street, barricade ourselves into the House of Commons and cause mayhem on the streets. On second thoughts, roast beef and roast potatoes sounds good.:D

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Can I have lamb instead, with lashings of mint sauce...

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Yes the scout groups still hold a St George's Day Parade with a church service. Its about time we recognised our national day.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Why can't we have an Englishman as our patron saint. Like St.Alban?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think we had the same debate on NSC this time last year, as I remember it there was general agreement that we should be allowed to celebrate the day of our Patron Saint, just like the Irish, Welsh and Scots celebrate theirs. In our case we are unlucky that the far right hijacked St George and his flag for far too long, it is time that it is claimed back so all decent people can celebrate like our Celtic cousins.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Definitely, Gully, and I think if enough people expressed the wish to have a national day its possible to achieve it. I find it strange how others can have their national day but when the English want one it is seen as racist in some way.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
ok, so what will our national drink be?

It can't be Guinness (Ireland!), or Stella (Belgium?), any decent wine would have to come from sunnier climes (Ditchling doesnt really count? bloddy pricey, too)...

Cider, Pimms and Gin cocktials all round then!

:eek: :drink: :drink: :drink:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
despratefan3 said:

It can't be Guinness (Ireland!), or Stella (Belgium?), any decent wine would have to come from sunnier climes (Ditchling doesnt really count? bloddy pricey, too)...

Good old Carling.....Turned out nice again....... Calssic adverts if anyone remembers them.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
despratefan3 said:

HARVEYS. You know it makes sense.

Little Piggy

Oct 27, 2003
Ireland
I tell you what, I think its cool that it is NOT celebrated. I don't believe in the whole idea of "We can't celebrate it cos its racist" idea.

I've lived in Ireland for 9 months now and Paddys day was extremely important and had a lot of build up. It struck me as a way of shouting out "I am Irish and PROUD" although it just turned out to be a hard nights work for the Garda and good sales night for Guinness.

When asked "Why don't you celebrate St George's day?" my reply is always the same: "I can't be arsed!". If I want to go to the pub and get drunk I will, I don't need to prove myself to anybody by having some fierce devotion to a certain landmass on a particular date.

Don't get me wrong, I am proud of my family, its history and where I come from, (Well not Haywards Heath exactly!) but I don't need to go on about it. Its not a competition ("My Saints day is bigger than yours!") so don't rise to it, thats what I say.

Besides, on these "Special days" you can't get into the pubs as they are rammed full, the bouncers are on their worst behaviour and your chances of being knifed appear to increase tenfold. So I'd probably stay in anyway. And have some sex. :)

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
chez said:
Good old Carling.....Turned out nice again....... Calssic adverts if anyone remembers them.
:drink: i'll drink to that

Saturday 23rd April - day of the West Ham Home game :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
Little Piggy said:
I tell you what, I think its cool that it is NOT celebrated. I don't believe in the whole idea of "We can't celebrate it cos its racist" idea.

I've lived in Ireland for 9 months now and Paddys day was extremely important and had a lot of build up. It struck me as a way of shouting out "I am Irish and PROUD" although it just turned out to be a hard nights work for the Garda and good sales night for Guinness.

When asked "Why don't you celebrate St George's day?" my reply is always the same: "I can't be arsed!". If I want to go to the pub and get drunk I will, I don't need to prove myself to anybody by having some fierce devotion to a certain landmass on a particular date.

Don't get me wrong, I am proud of my family, its history and where I come from, (Well not Haywards Heath exactly!) but I don't need to go on about it. Its not a competition ("My Saints day is bigger than yours!") so don't rise to it, thats what I say.

Besides, on these "Special days" you can't get into the pubs as they are rammed full, the bouncers are on their worst behaviour and your chances of being knifed appear to increase tenfold. So I'd probably stay in anyway. And have some sex. :)

What a sensible post. If you practise the last phrase, every day will be St George's day or whatever yours or your partner's name is.

bhafan

Aug 1, 2003
Burgess Hill
I'll tell you what, why don't we go for a beer before the game, enjoy beating the Hammers and celebrate with a further few pints after!:)
The perfect St Georges Day would be to guarantee Championship status, if we haven't managed it quite by then.

tomysupercup

North Stand Kollective
Sep 17, 2004
NORTH STAND
Thimble Keegan said:
I will be celebrating St George by getting wasted just as I did last year...I cannot wait.

Albion, England & St George forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

???

Brilliant! :clap2:

Does that not just sum it up????

(unless of course you were being ironic?!)

Lets just read it again?

Don't get me wrong, I am proud of my family, its histry and where I come from, (Well not Haywards Heath exactly!) but I don't need to go on about it. Its not a competition ("My Saints day is bigger than yours!") so don't rise to it, thats what I say.

Besides, on these "Special days" you can't get into the pubs as they are rammed full, the bouncers are on their worst behaviour and your chances of being knifed appear to increase tenfold. So I'd probably stay in anyway. And have some sex.

ALBION (MY CHOICE) , English (no choice) Forever.

p.s. enojoy the book discount...... (it's it a shame we can't all get 'Build a Bonfie' at a discounted price!!!!??)

oh and before anyone flames me, I will be making the homage to Conca de Barberà.............

Takers?:smokin:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here