[Misc] Squirrel-gate

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
519HI99bJqL.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Only-Squirrel-Cookbook-Youll-Ever-ebook/dp/B00YBFVDRO

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
We have squirrels, which is not surprising as we live in Squirrels Close. After 20 years of no problems, we started to get a rain water leak onto our ceiling. On inspection I found that a squirrel was trying to gain access to the loft by eating his way through the lead flashing around the chimney. There was a hole and plenty of evidence of teeth marks.

I suspect that particular squirrel knew nothing about health and safety with lead poisoning and has now gone to a new resting home.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We've got these furry little vermin in our loft, used to hear a bit of scratching and nuts being rolled around in our loft and soffit at the rear of the house, but they've gone bonkers in the last few weeks, almost sounds like they're moving furniture about!
Anyway enough is enough and I've had a pest control guy in today, apparently they're getting in between the roof tiles and the lining then dropping down into the loft. Good news is he didn't find a nest up there, so he's laid and baited several 'killer traps' where he could see they've been active. These killer traps are like small versions of the type they use to trap larger animals, the difference is the toothed jaws break their necks instantly and don't just trap them.
He said we'll hear the bang when a squirrel 'cops it' as it is quite loud, so I'm sitting here waiting for a bang! (story of my life)
:lolol:

Updates on progress to follow.

I had exactly the same thing. Little shits even gnawed a hole clean through the ceiling. And they never forget. Once they've got in, they'll take up residence. The scampering noise of tiny hooves overhead starts to drive you a bit head-mental after a while. Like you, I got the squirrel guy in with the squirrel death trap. He said there would only probably be a couple of squirrels, and so it transpired. That was last year. This year's batch seem happily oblivious to the presence of my loft hurrah

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
I had exactly the same thing. Little shits even gnawed a hole clean through the ceiling. And they never forget. Once they've got in, they'll take up residence. The scampering noise of tiny hooves overhead starts to drive you a bit head-mental after a while. Like you, I got the squirrel guy in with the squirrel death trap. He said there would only probably be a couple of squirrels, and so it transpired. That was last year. This year's batch seem happily oblivious to the presence of my loft hurrah

Hooves?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with you to a point, but they mate and can quickly become a nuisance. Over the last 2 years we have caught 11 squirrels from time to time in the garden using a humane trap, (very cheap on Amazon) then transported them to the same site in a large wooded area 9 miles away and well away from any residential properties. We’ve since found out that it’s not illegal to kill squirrels - but it is illegal to move them elsewhere. I guess it’s down to what you feel comfortable about doing.

Pest controllers also told me that it was illegal. Once trapped, grey squirrels must be humanely killed. (They'd set up a trap inside the loft of my old workplace).

When the grim reaper returned, he couldn't understand how the Maltesers bait had disappeared, but with no entrapped live squirrel in the cage.

I guess someone must've released Sammy :wink:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'm all for having a relationship with nature, just not in my loft, crapping in it and chewing through cables.
Got called out to a squirrel invested loft they had chewed through every cable they could had to rewire the upstairs lighting. Cost the customer a couple of grand best to get rid ASAP.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Got called out to a squirrel invested loft they had chewed through every cable they could had to rewire the upstairs lighting. Cost the customer a couple of grand best to get rid ASAP.

Hope you bought the squirrels a bag of nuts as a thank you. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here