Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Squad numbers

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Think there's been a 99 in the Prem before, seem to recall someone kicking off that they couldn't have 9 so settled for that

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Can you have a three digit number or more?

As we can't read the bloody number, might as well put bar codes on the back, then the ref could just scan them when he books them and it would appear on the screen automatically!

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Isn't Edgar Davids No 1?
Only other time I recall a non goalkeeper having a No 1 was I think Argentina's world cup squal 1978 - Ossie Ardiles. Must have done it in alphabetical order as England did in 1982.
Geek!

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Can you have a three digit number or more?

As we can't read the bloody number, might as well put bar codes on the back, then the ref could just scan them when he books them and it would appear on the screen automatically!

I'm led to believe you can't.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Isn't Edgar Davids No 1?
Only other time I recall a non goalkeeper having a No 1 was I think Argentina's world cup squal 1978 - Ossie Ardiles. Must have done it in alphabetical order as England did in 1982.
Geek!

He is indeed number 1. Derek O'Riordan wore 01 for Hibs in Scotland whilst the number 10 was occupied. ???

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Think there's been a 99 in the Prem before, seem to recall someone kicking off that they couldn't have 9 so settled for that

Rumour was Les Ferdinand wanted to wear 99 at Newcastle when Alan Shearer joined as Shearer was given the 9 shirt that Big Les has previously worn, the FA apparently blocked this move.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Isn't Edgar Davids No 1?
Geek!

In the 1978 World Cup, Ossie Ardiles wore the number 2 shirt. However, Norberto Alonso (also an outfield player) was wearing number 1 whilst the goalkeeper Ubaldo Fillol wore the number 5.
Uber-geek!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here