Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Spurs v Brighton 1978

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Just seen this pic online.

Anyone on here, who went to the game, tell us what happened?

I believe Brighton fans are at the top of the pic ?

IMG_5746.jpeg

Bald Head

Jul 20, 2022
Brighton
I was there,spurs fans causing trouble eveywhere. If i remember correctly the albion fans tore the roof of the radio hut and threw pieces at the spurs fans.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Spurs fans only sang one song - "Hit him on the head with a baseball bat, on the head , on the head."

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I was at the game. 10 years old.
Standing in the west stand, with my dad, grandad and Uncle.
Dad did a good job of not letting me know how concerned he was.

Memory is a bit sketchy, but I remember the game being delayed.
I also remember there were lots of fans who escaped the trouble in the stands and were sitting in front of the walls at the front of the terraces.
I'd forgotten they were there until they all stood up at half time.

Next time I went to a home game, there was fencing put up everywhere.
Presumably as a consequence of that game/

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Cut their goolies off.

Last edited:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I was in the North Stand, near the Corner Flag on the west side. At some point there was an almighty barney behind us, everyone not involved piled forward to avoid the scrap and those of us nearer the front decided getting on to the path that went round the side of the pitch was preferable to being squashed. So we did. I also remember various missiles being lobbed from the back of the North Stand towards those of us at the front. I am pretty sure this was after the game kicked off but can't really remember exactly when. After it all calmed down a bit we went back on the terracing on the West side north of the main Grandstand where the temporary stand later went up.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
The picture seems like it's the infamous tea hut incident. When Brighton fans took refuge on the tea hut during the game after being chased from the NS. From memory there were a few Bosun on there as well as others and the spud fans tried to fight with them. There was a guy on top of hut with a broom also some with lumps of wood defending themselves.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Spurs fans had been a nightmare all season at a number of grounds. It may have been the reason for the tame ending to their match at Southampton. They had already caused damage in the ground that day and it would be no surprise that no-one wanted a riot.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It was havoc in the town Friday & Saturday night. Massive fight in the Buccaneer (now Patterns) and various other parts of the seafront. Fighting all over the Goldstone. Players off the pitch while ‘order’ was restored. Massive crowd of over 32000.

The 0-0 game at WHL earlier in the season was the worst football violence I experienced throughout the 70s & 80s and there were many data points during those years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was at the game. 10 years old.
Standing in the west stand, with my dad, grandad and Uncle.
Dad did a good job of not letting me know how concerned he was.

Memory is a bit sketchy, but I remember the game being delayed.
I also remember there were lots of fans who escaped the trouble in the stands and were sitting in front of the walls at the front of the terraces.
I'd forgotten they were there until they all stood up at half time.

Next time I went to a home game, there was fencing put up everywhere.
Presumably as a consequence of that game/
Same here, I was in the West Stand and aged 9 years. from memory the game was March and I turned 10 that summer. I was with my father and we stood just to the south side of the tunnel. I remember getting Hoddle's autograph as he came down to the front of the stand before the game; in those days the players used to come out and walk around the pitch before the game in their civvies.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Spurs fans got in the North Stand despite it being all ticket and on the start of a chant it all kicked off. Mayhem for about 20 mins with the infamous Millard tannoy announcement calling for any police in the area to come inside the ground.

To add to the mayhem a clearance at the north end saw the ball smash the glass window of the radio Sussex commentary box situated on the north west terrace.

The fun and games continued in Hove Park after the match that we won 3-1.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I was on the terrace to the left of the area in the picture having been literally chased out of the North Stand, which had been taken over by Spurs fans. A lot of Brighton fans gathered behind this terrace as there wasn't anywhere else to go. A lot of Spurs were also in the area and, certainly in the first half, it resembled a saloon fight from a western. I suspect a lot of those on the roof were Brighton fans trying to get away from the trouble but also trying to see the game as the terrace was full. There had been loads of trouble in town since Friday evening but I heard that police rounded up Spurs fans after the game and stuck them on trains. Whilst all of this was going on Spurs were getting hammered on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here