Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spurs put 550 non-playing staff on furlough

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Article in the FT today pointing out that accounting and professional services firms are effectively doing the same thing. Low level staff being asked to go on sabbatical or take significant pay cuts. Logical, perhaps - but will all help to preserve the partners' huge salaries....

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As SB has pointed out. The players are not the staff bosses.

You are correct.

But so am I in saying that the business is already losing shed loads of money on a daily basis through this crisis, so the owners are also taking a hit. Which group of people are apparently not losing out financially? The players. It will drive a massive rift between playing and non-playing staff if it is not addressed.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As a spurs fan i find this disgusting... Another reason for me to continual going off everything about football other than the game.

I am so f ing angry at this. Abuse of a government scheme to help struggling businesses.

I abhor modern football. Some clubs, inc BHAFC, seem to act in a more community spirited way than others, but even they are somewhat insulated from the normality of everyday life. I actually wish I could wipe away 40 plus years of support so that I could ensure that I contributed zero to the cesspit of morality that is the football industry today. A multi billion pound industry which takes government money in a time of international crisis, but will not have the decency to suitably punish a two faced, selfish fxxkwit like Jack Grealish. Things need to change.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Where Barcelona players take a 70% wage cut to allow non playing staff remain on full pay!!!! Levy is shister who only wants to line his own pockets

This.

And it is not good enough for players to hide behind Levy.

If you’re on 250k a week then you step forward and offer a pay cut. You don’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Barber was very diplomatic about it just now on 5 Live.

As if, adding to the fact it was Spuds, one expected anything else.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
With the Grealish disgrace, the moaning about giving free tickets to the NHS, and now the taking of the country's money to furlough low paid staff...

... this crisis has been a total PR disaster for the PL.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Article in the FT today pointing out that accounting and professional services firms are effectively doing the same thing. Low level staff being asked to go on sabbatical or take significant pay cuts. Logical, perhaps - but will all help to preserve the partners' huge salaries....

Well I think all high paid forensic football accountants should take a 20% pay cut to help those affected.

I also think Adele should cover the wages of all the HMV staff furloughed.

Jeremy Clarkson needs to be covering the Halfords employees wages.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is anyone surprised with the greed of PL football clubs?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With the Grealish disgrace, the moaning about giving free tickets to the NHS, and now the taking of the country's money to furlough low paid staff...

... this crisis has been a total PR disaster for the PL.

Not all of the Premier League - thankfully.

That said they'll probably find a way of booting us out, now, solely because Mr Bloom is making them look so bad.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I'd be absolutely mortified if our club goes down this route. It would leave such a bitter taste in the mouth, please, please BHAFC do the right thing.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Not all of the Premier League - thankfully.

That said they'll probably find a way of booting us out, now, solely because Mr Bloom is making them look so bad.
Indeed, Bournemouth and Burnley are also backing the free NHS tickets scheme, perhaps others.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Indeed, Bournemouth and Burnley are backing the free NHS tickets scheme, perhaps others.
Bournemouth have said they will no longer be paying the families who accommodate their youth players, who are away from home.

I think Sarah Beaney should give up 20% of her income to cover the shortfall.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Bournemouth have said they will no longer be paying the families who accommodate their youth players, who are away from home.

I think Sarah Beaney should give up 20% of her income to cover the shortfall.
Good idea. Perhaps JK Rowling can cover the wages of bookshop staff as well.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think what is most infuriating is fans backing Levy on this

We are owned by a tax exile that wants Tax payers to cover wages.

Season ticket holders won’t be offered a full refund. It will be money off next seasons.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good idea. Perhaps JK Rowling can cover the wages of bookshop staff as well.
:lolol: :bowdown:

I think what is most infuriating is fans backing Levy on this

We are owned by a tax exile that wants Tax payers to cover wages.
That's what I can't get my head around.

Levy says 'I'm gonna dry hump 550 people'.
T'internet says 'These other people need to lose 20% of their wages to cover him'.

If IF the Albion were to announce, words to the effect of:-

'Brighton's first team squad have collectively decided to forego a percentage of their wages, to relieve to financial burden from the Chairman and allow him to maintain the non playing staffs wages.
All at the club thank the players for the extraordinary generosity'

The only replies would be:-

'I should think so too'.

All, all, of which will be coming from people who haven't and won't make a comparable 'sacrifice'.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep the players definitely come out worse.

[tweet]1245031333648351232[/tweet]

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
:lolol: :bowdown:

That's what I can't get my head around.

Levy says 'I'm gonna dry hump 550 people'.
T'internet says 'These other people need to lose 20% of their wages to cover him'.

If IF the Albion were to announce, words to the effect of:-

'Brighton's first team squad have collectively decided to forego a percentage of their wages, to relieve to financial burden from the Chairman and allow him to maintain the non playing staffs wages.
All at the club thank the players for the extraordinary generosity'

The only replies would be:-

'I should think so too'.

All, all, of which be coming from people who haven't and won't make a comparable 'sacrifice'.

ENIC give zero shits.

It’s all about the NFL for them now - they are more worried about the draft being postponed I imagine.

smartferndale

Mar 21, 2013
I just love the capitalist mentality. When we make a profit all my money goes to my tax haven account in the Virgin Islands. When I lose money the government, that is the public, pay off the lose. The banks did it so now others are doing he same thing. Always the same the rich get rich the poor get poorer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here