Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sports Personality of the Year - less popular sports.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Olympic sports people tend to win in Olympic Years...becuase of their profile.

However, with the BeeB investing heavily in being the Olympic broadcaster, it would be in their interest to promote Cav and Mo...plus Dai Greene anyone.

OH AND SO I CAN EAT AND SEE MY KID...will people please see the website link in my signature and get their Ebents and Marketing team to have a look...many thanks!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cav is total 'box office' when it comes to cycling fans.
The noise we made at the Tour of Britain at the merest sight of him, confirmed that, he'll do well at SPoTY.
Whether there's enough MAMIL's out there prepared to vote, is another question.

No, it's nothing to do with "personality" really. Nigel Mansell has won it.
The greatest winning answer, ever.

Also, in today's paper Cav was quoted as saying "I can't win the yellow jersey in the Tour De France." Why's this?
Think of Le Tour as 21 separate races (all over 200kms long) in 23 days, aggregate quickest time wins.

6-8 of those races finish at the top of a mountain, that's MOUNTAIN.
6-8 will finish pan flat
the rest being hilly, and 'other' events like Time Trialling.

Cav is the best in the world at finishing in a sprint on the flat.

But what makes him able to sprint, muscle mass etc stops him from 'sprinting' up MOUNTAINS, where he loses shed loads of time, but never gains any on the flat stages as everyone rides together.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
People are most likely to win it if they come from one of the bigger sports.

It's been won by an athlete more times than the next three sports put together (Formula One is second)

Darren Clarke is the hot favourite this year but I think that's because Cav's achievement has not quite sunk in yet. I'm going to vote for him and I think he'll win it - Tommy Simpson won SPOTY when he was world champion and he didn't have a green jersey. When you think that, previously, only one man has ever held green jersey and been world champion at the same time, you realise that Cav is in very exalted company (and you can throw in the Olympic trial for good measure).

It also helps that he's a genuine personality with plenty to say for himself (although I admit Clarke probably can beat him there). A natural winner.

Looks like it will be a non-English winner again though - that will be five years running

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cav is total 'box office' when it comes to cycling fans.
The noise we made at the Tour of Britain at the merest sight of him, confirmed that, he'll do well at SPoTY.
Whether there's enough MAMIL's out there prepared to vote, is another question.

The greatest winning answer, ever.

Think of Le Tour as 21 separate races (all over 200kms long) in 23 days, aggregate quickest time wins.

6-8 of those races finish at the top of a mountain, that's MOUNTAIN.
6-8 will finish pan flat
the rest being hilly, and 'other' events like Time Trialling.

Cav is the best in the world at finishing in a sprint on the flat.

But what makes him able to sprint, muscle mass etc stops him from 'sprinting' up MOUNTAINS, where he loses shed loads of time, but never gains any on the flat stages as everyone rides together.

Thanks for the explanation.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No, it's nothing to do with "personality" really. Nigel Mansell has won it.

And Nick Faldo, two of the most boring sportsman ever.

The only thing funny about Mansell was Vettells impression of him on Top Gear which was seriously funny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here