Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speeding tix from fixed camera

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
BUTTERBALL said:
If you did 90 in a 30, they'd think the camera was fu*ked and let you off!

I'm sure I read somewhere that if you go though a 30MPH camera trap at 110mph the picture has nothing in it coz you've already gone out of the view-finder range.

Not tried it myself ....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Heard this statistic on the radio and have no idea whether it is true.

A child hit head on at 40 miles and hour has an 80% chance of being killed.

A child hit head on at 30 miles and hour has an 80% chance of being surviving.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
chez said:
Probably already been posted but just say that you werent driving. Innocent until proven guilty mate. Make them prove that you were driving.

A lot of the new ones now show the driver as well as the number plate but well worth a try. Especially if you have a twin;)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Shropshire Seagull said:
I'm sure I read somewhere that if you go though a 30MPH camera trap at 110mph the picture has nothing in it coz you've already gone out of the view-finder range.

Not tried it myself ....

They did this ages ago on Top Gear. They sent a motorbike past it at 140mph or so.

It still got flashed by the camera.

Incidentally, all those of you complaining about the cameras:

...if someone burgled your house, and you caught them in the act, how would you feel if they got off in court because they argued that they didn't know you'd be in and therefore it was unfair of you to catch them?

The law has to start somewhere, and it's just way too impractical to start having variable speed limits for nights/days/to suit people who can't be bothered to even vaguely comply.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
edna krabappel said:
The law has to start somewhere,

How about spending a little less time sitting on the A23 with radar guns and a bit more time trying to solve crimes that have allready happened?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
....umm, you could use a counter argument there, the Police are actually catching people at the point of a crime being committed, one hundred percent clear up rate.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Trufflehound said:
Insist on a court hearing. Then when you're in front of the magistrate, shout: "You'll never take me alive, slags!!" at the top of your voice, and attempt to jump out of the nearest window.

Works every time.

:thumbsup:

Works for who? The prosecution?!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...I think there may be a problem here, truffelhound thinks that he is in the Sweeney!!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
British Bulldog said:
How about spending a little less time sitting on the A23 with radar guns and a bit more time trying to solve crimes that have allready happened?

The guys who do that are Road Policing officers anyway. They don't do neighbourhood policing, so even if they weren't out "sitting on the A23", they wouldn't be hunting burglars.

In reality, most of the traffic coppers spend far more time dealing with crashes and going after stolen or suspicious vehicles or cars driven by disqualified drivers, than looking for speeders. So I could argue that they are catching criminals. But I can tell already that you won't be particularly receptive to that argument.

I've been round to someone's house at 7am on a Sunday morning (and no, I'm not a traffic copper) to tell her that her 21 year old, only son had just been killed in a car crash. At the precise moment when her heart broke, I decided it was best not to mention that the crash was thought to have been caused by him driving too fast, or that the cause of death was a fence post going through his head.

I know speed isn't everything, but maybe if you'd been in that position, you'd understand better, that's all.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
edna krabappel said:
I know speed isn't everything, but maybe if you'd been in that position, you'd understand better, that's all.

With all due respect I have. I've seen an 18 year old nephew of mine laid out in a coffin as a result of a high speed crash. And yes i've seen what it can do to a family.

I've also seen the result of my son being beaten up by a fully grown bloke and it take the police a week to come and see him, by which time his bruising had all but disappeared. And months later we've still heard no more from them.

And I've also been arrested myself for something I quite clearly had'nt done, but because the police have targets to meet they went ahead with a prosecution anyway. I'm glad to say justice prevailed and the prosecution walked away red faced.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
edna krabappel said:

The law has to start somewhere, and it's just way too impractical to start having variable speed limits for nights/days/to suit people who can't be bothered to even vaguely comply.

And yet the French seem to have successfully implemented variable speed limits on thier motorways ???

It comes back to the age old problem with British Governments and British Authorities - no imagination !!!! They will always use the easiest, highest revenue raising method of enforcement.

Why not start with a review of all speed limits, start work on dangerous roads ( Handcross Hill - dragged their feet forever on that one ), education in schools ( oh sorry that wouldn't fit in the school exam targets ), punishments that fit the driving crime - oh and supplying the EVIDENCE that an offence has been committed rather than issuing tickets hoping people will pay up without question.

There are plenty of examples where speed cameras have got it WRONG - yet it's made as scarey as possible to get the evidence.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
A lot of accidents are caused by people driving too slowly for the conditions too. I've never seen anyone pulled over for that though.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Trufflehound said:
Insist on a court hearing. Then when you're in front of the magistrate, shout: "You'll never take me alive, slags!!" at the top of your voice, and attempt to jump out of the nearest window.

Works every time.

:thumbsup:
:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here