Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speed camera

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Temporary or permanent?

And which bit, you can get a bit of momentum down the hill towards the back of Tescos

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
after that woman got done for flashing her headlights (fnar fnar), I'd like to think that people like you that 'obstruct the police' by tipping people off in such a fashion will be punished to the full extent of the law

Given the position of mobile cameras are published in the press ahead of time I fail to see how he's committing an offense. The flashing head lights case was a joke !!!!

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
That's right, in the normal place just before tescos. Anybody who wants to moan about me giving a friendly warning to those who do that stretch of road, get a life :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Given the position of mobile cameras are published in the press ahead of time I fail to see how he's committing an offense. The flashing head lights case was a joke !!!!

Also that the fact of warning peopleby flashing or whatever, makes them slow down, so they are in effect assisting the police rather than hindering them but this comes back to the role of the police, is it to prevent crime or catch offenders. Obviously as regards motoring offenses it is to catch and punish the offenders.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Papa Lazarou gave me this warning when we were heading back towards Worthing after the Huddersfield game.

Is that an accident blackspot at all? If not, it really strikes me as a very low way for Sussex Police to go about things as it is one of those areas where, due to the hill, it really is very easy for people to find themselves going faster than they intended or thought. I'm not condoning speeding, but surely there are better places where limited speed enforcement resources can be deployed in order to make a real difference to safety.

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
I have only ever seen them there late afternoon when the sun is low and it makes it harder to see , I am a cautious biker so always give the bloke a friendly wave from the wrist as I go past,

I am sure they are only there because its an accident blackspot but you cant help feeling they stick them in places they are likely to get more bang for their buck. Just me being paranoid I expect.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I'd assume that the justification is that traffic coming up from the Holmbush roundabout merges with the traffic just after that spot which could cause accidents. The one a bit further along at Lancing is more of a joke as the only possible justification is the proximity to the school but there has been a bridge and six foot high fencing in place for years so you don't get many kids crossing the main road now.

The fact that both places are only a couple of miles from the SSRP base so is a nice easy start / end to the day for the staff is purely coincidence.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Also that the fact of warning peopleby flashing or whatever, makes them slow down, so they are in effect assisting the police rather than hindering them but this comes back to the role of the police, is it to prevent crime or catch offenders. Obviously as regards motoring offenses it is to catch and punish the offenders.

No. The Police were forced into covering cameras in bright colours and not to hide them behind trees etc, so the idea is to get people to slow down, rather than be caught out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No. The Police were forced into covering cameras in bright colours and not to hide them behind trees etc, so the idea is to get people to slow down, rather than be caught out.

If that is the case how can a person achieving this by warning people of speed traps and thus getting them to slow down not be helping the police rather than hindering them

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
If that is the case how can a person achieving this by warning people of speed traps and thus getting them to slow down not be helping the police rather than hindering them

Do we agree or disagree?
The person flashing their lights, high visibility speed cameras, and the publicity here of the new camera .. all achieve slower speeds around cameras and achieve the Police stated aim of prevention.

But I'm not 100% certain if certain police officers or police forces would rather the cameras be sneaky to catch people out, dispelling their stated deterrent viewpoint.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here