Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Special Report in todays Telegraph

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Special Report in todays Telegraph

Gwylan said:
Anyone can call for one but a judge has to grant it - ie there has to be a reasonable prospect of it succeeding.

The problem that would face the NIMBYs is that if the judicial review were to find for the club, then the NIMBYs would be liable for all costs. And I doubt whether the parish council could justify that (they tend to be well over a million quid).

But if a judge were to find for the NIMBYs, then any decision on Falmer would be overturned - and of course, we'd be liable for more legal costs.

I'm sure Lord B could say more about the possibilities of any judicial review, but if this inquiry were to find for Falmer and Prezza gives it the go-ahead then there's be no chance of a JR succeeding.

Cheers for that :thumbsup:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I think for a judicial review to be successful the NIMBYs would have to prove that the ODPM had acted unlawfully.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Paul Hayward legend. :thumbsup:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
A well written review, I had always known that being at Withdean had been costing us in lost gate revenues but didn't have a clue quite how much, that brings the cost of losing the Goldstone completely into focus. (no intentional pun there)

It is true that we can't claw back lost revenue, pity really because an individual can take someone to court for loss of potential earnings, if for example they are injured in an accident and can prove blame. Could we take Archer to court for injuring our club and costing us all that cash, it was of course potential earnings that we missed out on.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Scarface said:
Excellent piece. Just think what we could have achieved with that money over the years.:angry:

The interesting thing is - would we really be much higher in the league than we are now? And would we be enjoying it more or less? We are NOT a premiership club, so at best we'd be in this division - perhaps in a similar position to - say - Millwall. Home crowds around 12,000.....expectations of being in the play-offs, plus probably a fair sprinkling of foreigners in the side - to whom we'd be paying massive wages. The likes of Virgo, Hinshelwood, Harding, El Abd would probably be languishing in the reserves or turning out for Crawley. OK, it's hellish playing at Withdean, but this season's been fun, and what's been forged in the past 8 years is amazing.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Would you be willing to stand attilla, I am sure we could rustle up enough people to propose you as a candidate.

Would offer my services but I don't live anywhere near enough to Brighton.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Paul Hayward is a quality writer. He gave a brilliant and heart-moving piece at the service which celebrated the club's centenary at St Peter's Church in 2001, reading out an article he had written on Hereford. If he meets up with Albion fans, he is going to get himself swamped with :drink:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
This story is also front page news in today's Argus.

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
Dave C said:
It just puts in perspective the great work done by Dick Knight, Martin Perry and others... it's amazing they've managed to keep the momentum going during this period, on and off the pitch... they've focused on the club's role in the community, our thriving youth system etc. And we're still, despite the huge financial losses, essentially, a healthy club, in a better position than than we have been in ages.

:clap2: Good post.

Just such a shame that, as Paul Hayward says, we have lost a generation of young supporters through all our ground problems. Certainly most of the kids in my year at school supported chelsea, spurs etc (im 21) but many also followed brighton. im sure if we moved into falmer the year after the sale of the goldstone many of them still living in the brighton area would now have season tickets.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
_wilka_ said:
2005022500080951.jpg

is watson swearing in this one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here