Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Special Buses: Negotiations Ongoing with Alternative Bus Co + "supporter contributiion"

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The club could save MOST of that money by telling McSmudger, Sicknote hoskins and Ryan :tosser: Harley where to stick it, rather than fleecing fans left right and center.

Putting CMS in that bracket is beyond harsh!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
An interesting thought, especially for fans of competition in the market place.

It does seem to me that the Club have handed a deal to Seagulls Travel that may be far from competitive.

This could have potential , the retro travel experience of going to a football ground in the back of a Ford Transit :clap:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
This. My dad's plans are now in jeopardy and I know of a few other families who will suffer a fairly big hit from this.

My son struggled this year for his and my grandson season tickets, with the increased prices, but with this on top, I don't think he will be able to afford this and won't go.
And what is so wrong is being penalised for where you live.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sorry but none of that is accurate.

Barber explained, “Our supporters currently pay less than a third of the travel costs committed to by the club as part of the overall plan for The Amex. It will be necessary to increase the contribution from supporters in 2013/14". - this was within Walt's interview with Paul Barber , Feb 2013. As they say in the USA , do the math.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
My son struggled this year for his and my grandson season tickets, with the increased prices, but with this on top, I don't think he will be able to afford this and won't go.
And what is so wrong is being penalised for where you live.

I don't quite understand this. They are specials, so to begin with these sevices are put on for your benifit, and the service has been improved by the sound of it. I think maybe people are taking things for granted. Saying that the way they have done it is outrageous, and I think people should make it very clear it is unacceptable to the club what they have done.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well, quite frankly, if were B&H buses or the Big Lemon or someone I would run a bus service along the exact same route and undercut the club.

Big Lemon withdrew from running services to the uni last year as they couldn't make money on it, I can't see them touching this with a barge-pole

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I don't quite understand this. They are specials, so to begin with these sevices are put on for your benifit, and the service has been improved by the sound of it. I think maybe people are taking things for granted. Saying that the way they have done it is outrageous, and I think people should make it very clear it is unacceptable to the club what they have done.

Let me try to explain the way I see things.

All season ticket holders paid an increase in transport levy and if you live on a main Brighton bus or train route that goes to the ground then that is all you pay.
But if you live in Rottingdean, Ovingdean and Woodingdean (for example) where there is no direct transport link by either bus or train you will now have to pay a further £76 on top of this years increase levy, for approximately 3-4 miles travel. If you live near Worthing, Haywards Heath or Lewes station, ( for example) all above the three miles, there is no extra charge.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Let me try to explain the way I see things.

All season ticket holders paid an increase in transport levy and if you live on a main Brighton bus or train route that goes to the ground then that is all you pay.
But if you live in Rottingdean, Ovingdean and Woodingdean (for example) where there is no direct transport link by either bus or train you will now have to pay a further £76 on top of this years increase levy, for approximately 3-4 miles travel. If you live near Worthing, Haywards Heath or Lewes station, ( for example) all above the three miles, there is no extra charge.

You don't have to pay for 3-4 miles travel. You have to pay the the convenience of the club setting you up a more direct route, which will have a better and safer service. You can stil get to the stadium without paying extra, it just wont be as convieniant.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
You don't have to pay for 3-4 miles travel. You have to pay the the convenience of the club setting you up a more direct route, which will have a better and safer service. You can stil get to the stadium without paying extra, it just wont be as convieniant.

Where do you live Andy and how do you get there? There are Dad's with a couple of kids on the bus route we had last year do you seriously expect them to pay around another £200 to travel 2-3 miles, where a Dad from Haywards Heath brings his two kids at no extra cost. Where is the fairness in that?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

That may be so BUT the club need to be careful. Last season I took my two sons to a few matches and used the H bus. Five minute walk to the stop and in less than 30 minutes we were inside the stadium. We would then buy some drinks and sweets. That service will cost me an additional £14 this coming season. There is no way I'm dragging them across town for 1.5 hours on a B&H bus ( and I'd need to change buses half way ) and then do it again after the match.

We went about 4 times last season - at that extra cost we won't be this season. Even if we go twice that will mean a loss in ticket revenue of around £100 and a loss in food / drink of around £30. Now I know that's small in the big scheme of things but I doubt I'm the only one who will cut back this coming season. The special buses made the experience easy and affordable. The club need to balance making savings with revenue that they will now lose. It's easy for me as a non-STH - I can decide to buy tickets or decide not to bother with the hassle and extra costs this season. It's the STH's I feel sorry for as they've already invested a lot of money and now either need spend yet more money or make their match day experience more of a hassle and less enjoyable.

EDIT - in addition I went to most evening matches by myself and had my tea ( beer and a pint) at the stadium. I'll continue to go to evening matches and will begrudgingly pay for a special bus but instead of spending money at the stadium I'll eat at home before hand and maybe have a couple of pints at the Grenadier.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When Westdean, Beach Hut and Herr T ALL agree on something there must be a problem.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Where do you live Andy and how do you get there? There are Dad's with a couple of kids on the bus route we had last year do you seriously expect them to pay around another £200 to travel 2-3 miles, where a Dad from Haywards Heath brings his two kids at no extra cost. Where is the fairness in that?

Dad at Haywards Heath has probably had to drive 10 minutes to the station, park up, walk to the platform, wait for a packed commuter train, stand with his 2 kids to Brighton, join a long train queue and then spend a very uncomfortable 15 minutes aboard a packed train trying to protect his 2 young children. He then enjoys a long wait on the way home aboard another heaving train. Edit: oh and a half hour wait at Brighton after the match for a connection train north.

You are spending £200 for the convenience of having a guaranteed seat both ways aboard a service which most likely runs very close to your home and which will get you home a LOT quicker in the evenings than Mr Haywards Heath for an evening match.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But if you live in Rottingdean, Ovingdean and Woodingdean (for example) where there is no direct transport link by either bus or train you will now have to pay a further £76 on top of this years increase levy, for approximately 3-4 miles travel.

You don't have to. There's a direct road to the stadium and it's within easy cycling distance (with, I believe, a cycle/pedestrian path from Woodingdean on the way). I agree that for those with very young children it's not going to be an option but it's a quick journey for the rest.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Has anyone contemplated the possibility that B&H Buses might one day say that they don't see any point in providing extra buses to and from the stadium? Or Sussex University saying they won't any longer open up their private roads to football supporters who want to park?

True, but that risk was/is always there even without the current shennanigans. We always knew it was a logistical mistake (but a political necessity) to build the stadium without adequate car parks for say a third of spectators. In the light of recent events, including the Coldean parking restrictions which may well drive more people onto public transport, could this be revisited? There's LOADS of space as the Amex is almost surrounded by open fields; even a 5000 space car park on Village Way South charging £10 a car will help alleviate the burden on the buses, make sure we're not totally reliant on third parties and generate over a million pounds a year in revenue!

I know the answer in advance - no. Politically there is still no acceptance that the private car should be a major component of any transport strategy. And I don't own a car before someone accuses me of being a ranting petrolhead (although my wife does). I do live in the real, current world though and not a fantasy land.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Special Buses: Negotiations Ongoing with Alternative Bus Co + "supporter contri

You don't have to. There's a direct road to the stadium and it's within easy cycling distance (with, I believe, a cycle/pedestrian path from Woodingdean on the way). I agree that for those with very young children it's not going to be an option but it's a quick journey for the rest.

As you have said,that's fine on lovely autumn or spring days when you can take a stroll to matches. Unfortunately in the middle of winter with two children in tow, that's unrealistic

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

I live in Hove, but I have to pick my little one up from Lancing. Up untill Christmas I drove and parked up near Moulscoombe Leisure Center and walk the 30 minute or so. After Christmas we decided to take the train.

I refuse to pay to park outside my own house, so I park 10 mins walk down the road from where I live, so I believe I wouldn't pay the extra. At the same time I wouldn't hesitate to take the longer cheaper route.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There's LOADS of space as the Amex is almost surrounded by open fields; even a 5000 space car park on Village Way South charging £10 a car will help alleviate the burden on the buses, make sure we're not totally reliant on third parties and generate over a million pounds a year in revenue!

I know the answer in advance - no. Politically there is still no acceptance that the private car should be a major component of any transport strategy. And I don't own a car before someone accuses me of being a ranting petrolhead (although my wife does). I do live in the real, current world though and not a fantasy land.

This doesn't make any sense. Far being no acceptance that the private car should be a major component of a transport strategy. we've had 60-odd years where the private car has been the only major component of a transport strategy. It's only in the last couple of years has this begun to change as planners and politicians alike are grasping the idea that towns and cities have to consider other forms of transport. The architect Richard Rogers was speaking only this week about his prediction that cars will be banned from all cities within 20 years.

Whether that's far-fetched or not, the political consensus by all parties is that there should be restrictions on urban private car use so a 5000-space car park would have no chance of getting through a planning process, regardless of which party was in power.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

You tw*t I am 70 years old will you come and bike it wih me and just for your information it is only about 100 yads completed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here