Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spanish Rodney

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A tidy performance, rather than a stand out performance for me. I will obviously have to keep a closer watch on him, on Tuesday night. I do wonder sometimes if perspective comes into play. From low down you tend to see close control and offside very clearly. From on high you get a better view of runs off the ball.

I sit high up. From there, you could see him make countless well-timed runs off the ball. The more established players need to look for these runs, and play the ball to him quickly. There were a number of occasions when he was in an offside position for the simple reason that his runs had been missed.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If CMS made some of the runs David*2 made on Saturday there would have been people on here lamenting his headless chicken/rampant labrador off the ball movement.

I'm not criticising the chap - far from it - I thought he looked decent and his movement looked threatening; just pointing out how being Spanish and new makes things look a bit different. Or perhaps more pertinently, how consumed some are by the idea that CMS is a headless chicken.

That is a very good point. I really feel that our midfield missed a large amount of chances to play a ball behind the Donny defence for SD2 to run onto: his runs were great (similar to those that CMS made and were often missed by his teammates).

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I sit high up. From there, you could see him make countless well-timed runs off the ball. The more established players need to look for these runs, and play the ball to him quickly. There were a number of occasions when he was in an offside position for the simple reason that his runs had been missed.

Interesting. Our lack of pace through the middle means we are far more used to players dropping short to pick up the ball. Add in Stephens playing a pivotal role, with a bunch of unfamiliar players and it is understandable, that things did not always gel. Buckley and JFC are possibles for tomorrow night, all of which adds some cause for optimism in the coming weeks.

Bazzza67

Feb 6, 2011
Brighton, UK
This. Made some great runs and was occasionally frustrated that he wasn't spotted. Encouraging.[/QUOTE]

This was exactly what I saw in the first half...he was gesturing for the ball to be played through to him on the left...but wasn't seen, looked a little frustrated...seems
very pacey and two-footed...very good start..

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If CMS made some of the runs David*2 made on Saturday there would have been people on here lamenting his headless chicken/rampant labrador off the ball movement.

I'm not criticising the chap - far from it - I thought he looked decent and his movement looked threatening; just pointing out how being Spanish and new makes things look a bit different. Or perhaps more pertinently, how consumed some are by the idea that CMS is a headless chicken.

At no point did he run at 10,000mph TOWARDS a ball being played to him, with the inevitable result that the ball bounced off his shin. That's the sort of headless running CMS is rightly criticised for. Rodriguez made a lot of intelligent runs off the shoulder of the last man, if CMS did the same I wouldn't call him a headless chicken for doing that.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
At no point did he run at 10,000mph TOWARDS a ball being played to him, with the inevitable result that the ball bounced off his shin. That's the sort of headless running CMS is rightly criticised for. Rodriguez made a lot of intelligent runs off the shoulder of the last man, if CMS did the same I wouldn't call him a headless chicken for doing that.

Your first point is more of a criticism of CMS' first touch, which I agree, isn't great - I don't think it's right to call him a headless chicken for that though. Your second point I agree with, SD2 did make a lot of intelligent runs, but I have seen CMS do the same for the last 2 seasons with the same outcome - rarely being picked out by team mates (which is my point, people started seeing these runs as his labrador style - combined with chasing 'lost causes'). SD2 got slotted in once on Saturday (resulting in a dangerous cross) despite making 6/7 runs. Probably a similar ratio to what CMS has lived off. Hopefully SD2 proves to be more clinical when he is finally fed the ball, he does seem to have a better technique from the little I've seen, but doesn't look as strong. The fact he is two footed is very encouraging though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Your first point is more of a criticism of CMS' first touch, which I agree, isn't great - I don't think it's right to call him a headless chicken for that though. Your second point I agree with, SD2 did make a lot of intelligent runs, but I have seen CMS do the same for the last 2 seasons with the same outcome - rarely being picked out by team mates (which is my point, people started seeing these runs as his labrador style - combined with chasing 'lost causes'). SD2 got slotted in once on Saturday (resulting in a dangerous cross) despite making 6/7 runs. Probably a similar ratio to what CMS has lived off. Hopefully SD2 proves to be more clinical when he is finally fed the ball, he does seem to have a better technique from the little I've seen, but doesn't look as strong. The fact he is two footed is very encouraging though.

It's a criticism of the fact he does something very basic - if someone kicks a ball at you at a fair pace DON'T run TOWARDS it. This is basic park football stuff. You will make controlling the ball far, far harder for yourself if you do this.

I agree with you that CMS probably got some unfair stick for doing things that were completely logical to him in a Peterboro side, that were fairly pointless in a Poyet side. I think he'll fare much better under Oscar.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The only time the ball was played forward to where he was running was in the first half by Greer, problem was the pass was 30 seconds late and by the time he played the ball Rodders had to run back into an onside position so the ball was played into space for no body. Greer then had the cheek to raise him arms up and moan about it, pot kettle and all that

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Looked promising enough, although far too early to tell really.

Made some intelligent runs without getting the ball, which was a shame.

Sitting in the South-west Corner, there were at least two occasions where he seemed to be chasing a lost ca
use, but he got there. He's quick. very, very promising.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Leo says: "​Albion’s frontman also had words of encouragement for fellow striker David Rodriguez, who made his home debut against Doncaster, and feels the Spaniard will be an asset to his game.
“I know him because I have played against him before. He has a good work ethic, he’s fast and he can cross and once he’s adapted to the game, I think he will be a good player for us and he can help me score more.”

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I thought Leo looked better and less frustrated on Saturday. Maybe Spanish Rodney has helped him already.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The important thing to me is our own players who have been asked seem to rate Rodders ( or whatever you want to call him ) highly enough to be able to make an impact for the rest of the season.
I have noticed that because he's from Spain not one person seems to have questioned whether he's an Oscar signing though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The important thing to me is our own players who have been asked seem to rate Rodders ( or whatever you want to call him ) highly enough to be able to make an impact for the rest of the season.
I have noticed that because he's from Spain not one person seems to have questioned whether he's an Oscar signing though.

A friend's partner's daughter told my mum that Nathan met him when he went to Spain on holiday in 1991: it's another Nathan Jones signing; Oscar's too meek to do anything.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A friend's partner's daughter told my mum that Nathan met him when he went to Spain on holiday in 1991: it's another Nathan Jones signing; Oscar's too meek to do anything.

:lolol:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
That is a very good point. I really feel that our midfield missed a large amount of chances to play a ball behind the Donny defence for SD2 to run onto: his runs were great (similar to those that CMS made and were often missed by his teammates).

Kemy Agustein plays that ball for fun......maybe a chance for him to shine tonight?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Close-up and his technique looks good, trapping automatically and gliding with the ball at his feet and knowing what is going to do and crossing impeccably. Heading not quite so good but probably better than most of his team mates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here