Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spain v New Zealand

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Decent game, and New Zealand look as though they can pass it about, despite their shit defending. I'd also say Spain got very sloppy in the second half.

But the thing that got my goat was just how f***ing awful the lino on the near side was. Didn't have a clue about the offside rule.

Not one.

This, for me, shows how SHIT England are compared to teams like Spain. OK, NZ aren't MUCH better than Kazakhstan, but their full internationals, some playing in the Premiership. Spain are taking this as a walk in the park. Compared to England struggling for 50 odd minutes the other week.

We'll never win a major tournament. At least not in my lifetime.

I'd take issue with that, although of course you may be right about us not winning a tournament (and how long are you going to live? No-one knows that).

If it's any comfort, England are looking to gain some semblance of consistency, which is gradually happening. There are some top sides that lost embarrassingly to minnows before now. Italy have done it, Argentina recently flopped, Brazil have barely scraped into WC finals, Germany have suffered dips (one of which we benefitted greatly from, though still then having to play-off to secure a WC place!).
We have seen a lot of dodgy goalkeeping letting us down (Carson, Seaman, James) and walked a rocky path regarding managers (McClown...I mean that doesn't bear remembering).

England could become the new Germany, undeservedly getting to finals by playing rubbish in tournaments, then being dull in the final and lifting trophies - but whatever happens we need to become consistent as a team - with no particularly weak positions. I also feel we are due a spell of luck after what we have been through. Yes, hooliganism could well have influenced refereeing decisions that saw us go out, or plain shit refs (v Argentina usually - maradonna handball/Becks sent off/goal disallowed).

Hope springs eternal, and let's be honest - Spain weren't doing anything much until the last 3 years or so.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hope springs eternal, and let's be honest - Spain weren't doing anything much until the last 3 years or so.

Indeed you could argue they were also perennial underachievers.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This, for me, shows how SHIT England are compared to teams like Spain. OK, NZ aren't MUCH better than Kazakhstan, but their full internationals, some playing in the Premiership. Spain are taking this as a walk in the park. Compared to England struggling for 50 odd minutes the other week.

We'll never win a major tournament. At least not in my lifetime.

:wozza:

Just one example for you: Italy, the current reigning world champions, only beat New Zealand 4-3 the other day. At half time they were losing. They were plaing in Italy.

Just because the world's best side has beaten a poor one 5-0 doesn't mean England are shit, or that they'll never win a tournament in your(hopefully long) life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here