Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sovereign saints tournament

Can people ITK regarding boys footy on the Sunshine Coast help me out...?

Moshe Jnr (age 5) currently attends C.A.C.L. on a Saturday morning at the uni... he loves it and having played A LOT in the garden he is quite good at it (very left footed so I can already see him fitting well into a team set-up..!)

My uncertainty is about what to do next. Eastbourne Town are advertising an Under 6 team for the coming year - can anyone recommend that? (I like the idea of him playing in some little matches and I know he'd love it...). The other clubs seem to do only training at U6 in which case he could stay just doing CACL...

What are the other clubs like? Sovereign Saints? Borough?

Any advice gratefully received.

Probably youth matches are the biggest factor in our poor youth development,don't be in a rush to get him into games although i loved to see my boys playing games from under seven you are lightly to get sucked into the we smashed the other team 6-0!
Great fun but nobody really wins tbo,best thing for my boys was Brazilian footie!
Not sure where the nearest session is but worth doing even alongside joining a team.
I hope both of you enjoy the youth football to come but find a set up that has a longer term outlook ie development and one that keeps the English disease in check(parents) So happy that my boys are still playing and enjoying thier footie at 15+18:goal:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Probably youth matches are the biggest factor in our poor youth development,don't be in a rush to get him into games although i loved to see my boys playing games from under seven you are lightly to get sucked into the we smashed the other team 6-0!
Great fun but nobody really wins tbo,best thing for my boys was Brazilian footie!
Not sure where the nearest session is but worth doing even alongside joining a team.
I hope both of you enjoy the youth football to come but find a set up that has a longer term outlook ie development and one that keeps the English disease in check(parents) So happy that my boys are still playing and enjoying thier footie at 15+18:goal:
Thanks for the tips. The CACL in Eastbourne is a good provider of skills/fun footy activity and has been a great introduction. I am well aware of the perils of competitive children's sport (and football seems to be the worst culprit?) but the playing of "proper" matches is so beguiling for boys/girls/parents - I would love to see him line-up on the left in an U6 team and start to learn about passing the ball and teamwork...

thanks for the tips. The cacl in eastbourne is a good provider of skills/fun footy activity and has been a great introduction. I am well aware of the perils of competitive children's sport (and football seems to be the worst culprit?) but the playing of "proper" matches is so beguiling for boys/girls/parents - i would love to see him line-up on the left in an u6 team and start to learn about passing the ball and teamwork...

Thats the point when you are in a team it tends to be about results not development its worse when you get to 11 a side! They learn to get rid of the ball too quickly,hoof it up to the star kid up front! My 15 year old refs fun soccer for 6 year olds on a saturday morning but has 30/40 year old dads moaning at my sons decisions :facepalm: These are the parents you will spend the next 10 years in the company of,bite your tongue and enjoy the good bits! Just love watching the boys play even now:D

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Have to say that despite losing all 5 games and not scoring a goal I'm proud of my under 9 team today, considering they have only been training together for 2 months and today was their first competitive matches together (3 of the 8 haven't played a competitive match before). Well done sovereign saints for getting the tournament on today, looked like a swamp when we left!

Last edited:

Have to say that despite losing all 5 games and not scoring a goal I'm proud of my under 9 team today, considering they have only been training together for 2 months and today was their first competitive matches together (3 of the 8 haven't played a competitive match before). Well done sovereign saints for getting the tournament today, looked like a swamp when we left!

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Have to say that despite losing all 5 games and not scoring a goal I'm proud of my under 9 team today, considering they have only been training together for 2 months and today was their first competitive matches together (3 of the 8 haven't played a competitive match before). Well done sovereign saints for getting the tournament on today, looked like a swamp when we left!

Yea my team only scored 1 goal today... Oh yea, it was against your team hehehe... To be fair it was in the last 2 secs of the game and very lucky. You had the most chances.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

That's what it's about - well done!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Yea my team only scored 1 goal today... Oh yea, it was against your team hehehe... To be fair it was in the last 2 secs of the game and very lucky. You had the most chances.

For us today was about the experience, all the other games were 2-0 so we didn't get hammered by anyone. Oh and you can't have my number 7 :D
Our other team lost on pens in the final against one of the sovereign saints teams.
Good to meet you mate :)

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
For us today was about the experience, all the other games were 2-0 so we didn't get hammered by anyone. Oh and you can't have my number 7 :D
Our other team lost on pens in the final against one of the sovereign saints teams.
Good to meet you mate :)

Your number 7 was ya secret weopan. Unlucky about the final mate. Very nice to meet you too, ur a top bloke.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008

Agreed, the number of teams who go all out for success from u8 onwards by choosing all big lads and hitting it long and preying on defensive slip ups is massive. Just playing percentages. And by the time they reach adulthood and the smaller kids are as big as them, they don't know any other way to play.!

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Agreed, the number of teams who go all out for success from u8 onwards by choosing all big lads and hitting it long and preying on defensive slip ups is massive. Just playing percentages. And by the time they reach adulthood and the smaller kids are as big as them, they don't know any other way to play.!

Could nt agree more! Our under 9s team has played against a lot of teams who play this way?The coaches are win at all cost mentality,but why especially in non competitive situations(under 7,8+9s).Interestingly we had a scout at one of our games from the Albion,he told me that the main thing they look for are strength and pace,not ability,balance,intelligence or spirit, something that the worlds best footballers had in abundance ,and oh guess what none of them were big.Like to know what Mr Poyets views are on this situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here