Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southwick

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Seriously, Bozza....there are plenty of Victorian houses which fit your description (ours does more or less) in the Victoria Road/Park Lane/Underdown Road/Cross Road/Southview Road part of Southwick, and similar sized 1930s ones around the Crescent/Manor Hall Road area (near the Romans pub) There's actually a house for sale in our road right now but I think it's a bit smaller than your needs. Southwick is a great place for families. Interesting harbourside, loads of green spaces etc. I went to the aforementioned Eastbrook schools - in another century obviously - for most of their existence they were Manor Hall Road infants/primary school. I know a local estate agent who could send you sales info if you wanted. The Romans isn't a bad pub, the Schooner has good views of the harbour, neither do the beer i like or have original music so I'm in the Duke of Wellington in Shoreham, a mile one way, or the Stanley Arms in Portslade, a mile the other. If you want any more info feel free to PM me. I like Southwick, but I'm biased :) Do wish the current incumbents would get out of Southwick FC though, it's in as bad a state as the Albion under Archer :(

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I lived in Shoreham, but just west of Kingston Lane so right on the Shoreham / Southwick border. Great area to grow up in, the downs to the North and the beaches by the lighthouse and over the docks – played football on the field behind the Quayside Youth Centre. Will always have fond memories of the place.

Another graduate from The Glebe here..........long time ago ('64 to '68) but looking back it certainly gave me a good grounding in the three 'R's - reading, riting and rithmetic.

Went to the Glebe as well – you must have been there when Miss Peck was the headmistress and Mr. Presley (I think) was the games teacher.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There is probably truth in that. The good thing about places like Southwick is that it is near enough to nice places that you wouldn'tget too depressed. But my opinion doesn't count on this thread so please disregard that comment.
Not that it has any bearing on my opinion of Southwick but I live in Hampton.

Hampton as in Court?

I lived there for a year as a student and it was a terrible mistake - a truly drab and dreary suburbia of the like you seem so opposed to.

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Lived in three different houses in Southwick when I was younger, around the green is nice, going over the locks to the beach etc, but don't really miss the rest of it. North Lancing is where I am now which is a lovely area. If I had the choice though I'd live in north shoreham or near to the high street / beach.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Seaford is the place to be. Just enough shops, half way between Eastbourne and Brighton, nice pubs, great restaurants and take-aways, miles of unspoilt coast, lovely countryside, no parking charges AND free travel to the Amex.

If the bit between Shoreham and Brighton is a blackhole to me, the stuff beyond Brighton is another galaxy. I genuinely don't (or did not) know where Seaford is. I could not point to it, even approximately, on a map.

A polite way of saying you would not want to live anywhere near Doug!

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I missed this first time round.

That's pretty much it. We're all at different points in life and where I am right now, the things we want are:

4 (reasonable sized) bedrooms
A decent rear garden (preferably West or South facing)
Off street parking (preferably a garage too)
A 'heart of the home' kitchen/diner
Ideally a utility room and a study/office

There's not too much of that in central Brighton from what I can see, at least not on what I can or will pay.

Very good primary and grammar school in Steyning. Great community. Good pubs. Steyning Strikers footie (very cheap bar).

My East Wing will be available quite soon. Probably too many bedrooms and you may not want the underground pool and cinema complex. But as Phil would say, "there's a deal to be done".

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Glebe? Check that Miss Peck isn't still haunting the place...

...with Morag.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I missed this first time round.

That's pretty much it. We're all at different points in life and where I am right now, the things we want are:

4 (reasonable sized) bedrooms
A decent rear garden (preferably West or South facing)
Off street parking (preferably a garage too)
A 'heart of the home' kitchen/diner
Ideally a utility room and a study/office

There's not too much of that in central Brighton from what I can see, at least not on what I can or will pay.

Theres some big houses on shoreham beach facing the sea if you have a million to spare

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Glebe? Check that Miss Peck isn't still haunting the place...

...with Morag.

Little white yappy thing - Morag I mean, not Miss P. Scottish Terrier from memory ?

Scottish_Terrier_white_puppy.jpg

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Little white yappy thing - Morag I mean, not Miss P. Scottish Terrier from memory ?

View attachment 47490

Thanks for nudging the old grey matter. I remember Miss Peck (ruled her domain quietly but firmly with a fist of iron, or so it seemed to this sprog at that time) - but had forgotten about Morag!

My teacher was the delightful Miss Weatherley. Blimey what innocent days, if only they could see me now.......it all went wrong after that.

I remember the school having an open air swimming pool which seemed really exotic back then - but also it was chuffing freezing! I wonder if the little dears have the benefit of an indoor pool these days?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I was brought up in Southwick - and it was fine, although I really would have preferred to be in Shoreham once I reached late teens. But - there is good access by bus and train to most places, and most of the roads are quiet enough for cycling around.

First started drinking in the Ship - which hasn't changed much. It's still an old fashioned boozer. The Cricketers was the main drinking place for many years - but partly because it was convenient. The Schooner's always been my favourite - but just a bit out of the way.

My very best moment in the town was when I went home from college to see 'Half Man Half Biscuit' at the Old Barn Theatre and Atilla introduced them by saying something along the lines of "Rock'n'Roll in Southwick, who'd of 'king believed it". Cue horror from quite a few of the old blue rinse theatre brigade who had come along to see 'what it was all about'....

Helter Skelter

Nov 1, 2012
Southwick
It's a nice place, great to grow up in too with the downs behind and the beach in front, many greens aswell.

Plus, you will find ALOT of Albion fans there.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
According to Douglas Adams' the meaning of liff, soutwick is a left handed wanker!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here