Should Southgate go to stay?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It’s up to him. If he does leave then Potter should definitely be considered.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
France were there for the taking and we were not good enough to seize that opportunity. Saka should've stayed on and Grealish needed at least 20mins. Not sure if Sterling done anything after he came on
Reaching the next round was near enough a bye to the final. And bringing on Grealish with barely a minute still to play was as pathetic a decision as you're ever likely to see at this level.
Simply peurile :tosser:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Go - and sounds like he will, from that interview.

The World Cup clearly gave us an injection of belief but he’s had a terrible calendar year and Wales was an outlier in terms of him changing a game. The Euro qualifiers could get ugly.

There was talk in the stands of Tuchel being brought in for the World Cup when we went 2-0 down at Wembley in September. One of many better coaches available, as long as they can learn from Southgate’s management off the pitch.

Hard to imagine Southgate doing well at any major club side in England, and possibly very little demand for him aside from good PR. Keep him around the national squad or make him technical director?
So difficult to imagine England with a German manager but he would of course be one of the most interesting options if he really wants it.

I really don't like the guy though, would root for anyone England would play against (except the Portugese, destroy them please).

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Is it about him getting us further in tournaments than other English managers apart from Ramsey, or him not getting us across the line in all the important matches, with the largest contingent of English talent, ever.
I say the latter. We need someone with a more winning mentality. Tuchel or Poch.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lets replace him with someone who doesn't pick a player who spanners a crucial penalty into orbit...

....oh.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So difficult to imagine England with a German manager but he would of course be one of the most interesting options if he really wants it.

I really don't like the guy though, would root for anyone England would play against (except the Portugese, destroy them please).
I think most English football supporters could warm to Kloop. I could, and I'm certainly no Liverpool fan. Tuchel however is just in a detestable league all of his own, and that's got absolutely nothing to do with him being German.

Anyway, the blazers at the FA wouldn't touch a character like Tuchel with a bargepole. Thank God.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Not gonna crucify the man, but he has had a wealth of riches to aid his quest. We need a breath of fresh air and a governing body who let him/her get on without interference.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Get rid. Just a shame that penalty missed will protect him even though we would have lost in extra time.

Plays mount, henderson, stones, Maguire, Pickford. Remember he himself has said he only plays players on form. Pope, Maddison and co must be absolutely miffed.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I really am on the fence about this one.

I think he got the France game spot on. We dominated the game, created some (not a lot, but who would against this French team) chances and I'd say, as a whole, kept a squad bristling with talent quiet for 90 minutes. A, and possibly should have been saved, wonder goal and then a header from one of the most clinical strikers in the tournament was the difference. I may also be biased, but like to think I am level headed, we had a ref who was not up to the level and magnitude of that game. Second half he was slightly better, but had a complete mare in the first. He really gave us no hope.

As for the penalties, if Kane scored the first, surely he has to take the second and it was just too much pressure I assume. Against his club goalie that he would have taken 100s, if not 1000s of penalties against. And how rarely does the same player take 2 penalties in 1 game, your mind must make you question so much. As Albion fans, we are used to having the worst penalty record in the history of football, so maybe understand that sinking feeling better then most.

Saying this, the Croatia and Italy losses felt different to this. We were the better team against France, and don't think we could say that in the past. But is 3 tournaments enough for someone to prove their worth? Has Gareth been gifted with a squad that he should have done better with?

People that say this was THE generation to do something, I feel have forgot the past. 2006 we had Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Beckham, Neville, Owen, Campbell and more. The current squad are also still young. I can only think of Walker and Henderson not making the next World Cup down to age alone. Henderson does a job, but wouldn’t say he is integral, and have a natural replacement of Reece James being the natural successor to Walker.

I think Southgate deserve a crack at the Euros. The players obviously like and respect him and has done better then so many managers of the past.

Getting knocked out by the world champions in the quarter finals in an incredibly tight game feels a million miles, but still as disappointing, as the embarassment of the 2016 Euros again Iceland. That was only 6 years ago.

In Gareth, I trust.

Last edited:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I hate him and think he’s dreadful. That said there’s no stand out candidate to replace him. I’d say most professional managers would be an upgrade and take us from 0% win rate against decent sides to 50% but we likely need something better than that to win anything. Keep him for 2 years but decide on his likely successor as soon as possible.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Stay. There's no other England manager since Ramsey with such a good tournament record. World Cup semi and quarter final, Euro final, Nations league semi. And that's where we are. We're a good side but not a great side. France have better individual players.

The "tactically inept" comments are particularly crass. The whole country was crying out for us to be more attacking and play Foden after the USA. After that he was more attacking and played Foden :shrug:

We were the better side last night but they had two moments of real quality in front of goal and we didn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here