Should Southgate go to stay?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Agree re Sterling but Phillips and Gallagher? Really?? Pope's time may come but he made a terrible howler in the last Nations League fixture v Germany which cost us a 3-2 win so can understand why Southgate kept faith with Pickford (and I think it's unreasonable for the likes of Keane to think he should had saved the first goal). Pickford had a pretty solid tournament.
Philips has not played all season, Gallagher has been very hit and miss, so why on earth were they in the squad. If Philips was fit and playing regularly then no problem, but he wasn’t so why take him?

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
Philips has not played all season, Gallagher has been very hit and miss, so why on earth were they in the squad. If Philips was fit and playing regularly then no problem, but he wasn’t so why take him?
Ward-Prowse would have been a better option for his dead ball skills alone (I'm assuming he was fit and available)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I think Southgate should stay.

You really can't blame him for some cockney git hoofing a penalty over the bar.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Tuchel for me if he wants the job. Tactical masterclass in beating Peps invincible City in a champions league final.
German, winners mentality. We all thought Potter was a special manager, is he really improving Chelsea at the moment to the levels that Tuchel did before it went a little down hill at the end?
A 2/4 year contract maybe enough to win a major tournament.

Southgate is a nice person and has done unexpectedly well with favourable draws and is a failed club manager.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My main problem with Southgate is that he genuinely doesn’t seem to be able to positively change a game in flight. He got the starting 11 spot on IMO but then his subs last night were baffling AGAIN. That’s not just him it’s his coaching team.

Whoever comes in has got at least one very tough decision to make - dropping Pickford. Pope saves that first one last night. I feel about Pickford for England as I did about Ryan for the Albion = he’s ok but we now need better. There’s a reason that no top 6 club has shown interest in Pickford.
Pope's problem is that his distribution is nowhere near the standard of Pickford. Playing out from the back means you need to trust the keeper in this respect.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Silly question.

You don't replace the manager if there are zero decent candidates to replace him (and I agree he should be English, Sven and Capello were a disaster). There is literally no one half decent available. Potter and Howe are unlikely to leave their very lucrative jobs at the moment. Therefore, he'll only go if he decides it himself. I'm happy with that. (Peferably, he should stay in the role just until someone better is available, although unlikely he'll agree to that).

Before the tournament I thought he'd definitely leave but I think he's done well enough that he'll now think the public are still behind him.

Message to Gareth though, if you do stay please get some better assistants in to support you in your massive weak areas.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Tuchel for me if he wants the job. Tactical masterclass in beating Peps invincible City in a champions league final.
German, winners mentality. We all thought Potter was a special manager, is he really improving Chelsea at the moment to the levels that Tuchel did before it went a little down hill at the end?

Southgate is a nice person and has done unexpectedly well with favourable draws and is a failed club manager.
But can Tuchel last 2/4 years without falling out with everyone and blaming everyone but himself for defeats when doing post match interviews ???

I think not.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Stick or bust.

Stick for me. Not as if we’ve been having a torrid last few tournaments is it?!! England, Brazil, Italy, Germany, Uruguay, France, Spain, Argentina…pretty exclusive club still, and we’re PART of it!

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

A German leading the England team out? Have you lost your mind?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
A German leading the England team out? Have you lost your mind?
We are all friends nowadays after that nasty man Hitler left us a few years ago :)

We are related as well, some of us being Saxons and all that.

Last edited:

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
As others have said, Southgate is reactionary, he waits until we are behind on 78 mins, then takes off our best player in Saka and replaces him with also-ran Sterling.
(also Mount for Henderson). He then brings on Rashford for Foden on 85 and Grealish for Stones on 98. Too little too late.

As for alternatives to Southgate - nobody has mentioned Sean Dyche. He is always described as a progressive manager, held back at Burnley by a lack of resources.

With Croatia and Morocco making it to the semi-finals he could be the person we are looking for (if you want pragmatism!).

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
As others have said, Southgate is reactionary, he waits until we are behind on 78 mins, then takes off our best player in Saka and replaces him with also-ran Sterling.
(also Mount for Henderson). He then brings on Rashford for Foden on 85 and Grealish for Stones on 98. Too little too late.

As for alternatives to Southgate - nobody has mentioned Sean Dyche. He is always described as a progressive manager, held back at Burnley by a lack of resources.

With Croatia and Morocco making it to the semi-finals he could be the person we are looking for (if you want pragmatism!).
Someone’s been on the Scotch tonight! I wonder why no one has mentioned him?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Hoofball rules OK. Don't think so.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Manager has to be English; there are only two viable candidates both of whom are less than a year into lucrative contracts with top 4 chasing teams. Need to show they can deal with mega stars and international club football. 2024 is earliest that will be evident. Southgate stays. End of.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it about him getting us further in tournaments than other English managers apart from Ramsey, or him not getting us across the line in all the important matches, with the largest contingent of English talent, ever.
I say the latter. We need someone with a more winning mentality. Tuchel or Poch.
Golden Generation Mk 2?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here