Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern trains

NickL

Aug 21, 2003
Brighton
I've just been kicked off a southern train at three bridges and told to go home by the conductor. Apparently there have been massive failures at Gatwick and it'll only get worse.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Since privatisation National Rail has had to reduce it's workforce and thus track and signal maintenance is not as rigorous as it was. Also, our rail system doesn't have the same level of government subsidy that many other countries have. Obviously rail services could be improved for the current weather conditions but that would cost and require higher fares.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Obviously rail services could be improved for the current weather conditions but that would cost and require higher fares.

No money for improvements? Hmmm.....
Network Rail profits 2010 £395m
Go Ahead group (owners of Southern) 2010 profits £102m
First Group (owners of FCC) 2010 profits £82

markw

Aug 28, 2009
(quote) I remember once travelling across Germany in a total blizzard. I was in snow up to my knees just walking to the station. Eventually we arrived the other side of the country although the train announcer did apologise - several times - for being so late. The guard then walked through the train apologising once more for being so late and my friends, meeting me at the other end, were shocked that the train was so late.

We came in a massive four minutes behind the scheduled arrival time. To the Germans, that was appalling; to us, it's not even classed as late. If the government wants to make itself popular it should have a zero tolerance of tardiness and start imposing harsh penalties on train companies that run a dreadful service. Other countries cope with snow OK, there's no reason at all why we shouldn't. (quote)

That must of been a while back or a old wives tale as they have one of the inefficient rail systems going now, way behind britain which is up the top in europe, but then people like to slag the railway off! I have been working on the railway in sussex for the last 2 nights and if you could see what it was like you would understand, but then most office commuters to london would be big on brains but low on common sense. There are lorrys abandoned on the m25 but trains are still running from london to brighton/littlehampton and how do you think train drivers/guards/station staff get to work!

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Demand that your company gives you a Home Working contract.

I gave up daily commuting nearly 5 years ago, and now work from home, and have never been happier.

:D

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've just been kicked off a southern train at three bridges and told to go home by the conductor. Apparently there have been massive failures at Gatwick and it'll only get worse.

Any advances on this? Still debating trying to get in, as have a lot going on the next few days in London, but would rather not waste my time stuck on trains!!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
...Well, that was an uncomfortable nights sleep...At least I do not have to worry about my journey into work this morning because I am already here!!!

Albion & England forever.

Whitehall BHA

But you might not get home tonight!

I managed to squueze on a train from Charing Cross to London Bridge. London Bridge was carnage but eventually got on a train that was going to East Croydon. Unfiortuantely the brakes were frozen and the driver spent the next 40 minutes trying to fix them. Eventually I gave up wandered up the platforms to see that a FCC was due in 2 mins. It arrived, virtually empty and I hopped on to find a seat (it was even one of the newer trains) and settled back for the long slog back to Brighton. Was very slow until we got past Gatwick and then a bit faster.

This morning went to the station heard all the annoucements and then went home again!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There are very serious train issues today, nothing going past Gatwick Airport at all.

Our train was 20 minutes late and terminated at Hove so WFH now.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Any advances on this? Still debating trying to get in, as have a lot going on the next few days in London, but would rather not waste my time stuck on trains!!

Forget it mate, read my other post all trains are not getting past Gatwick Airport

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've just given up trying to get to London bridge from btn.

On bus home now.

Yesterday It took me 4 hours and 42 mins to get from my office to my house. Mad

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
Took me 5 hours to get home yesterday door to door. Was on the 15.47 that got to HH at 19.55 but on the bright side i made a few new friends! Brother is currently on a train outside Balcombe where he has been for nearly 2 hours!...... conductor has advised them to get off when they get to the next station and go home!.....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why aren't they telling that to the poor devils waiting on freezing platforms all over Sussex?

Criminally irresponsible.

Very good point you should at least be able to view train running via the SR website but switched off at present.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I've just had a text from a fellow commuter, and the 0630 Gatwick Express left Brighton on time...................

It's just got to Three Bridges !!!!!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Kent is well and truly buggered today, no buses or trains and roads just about impassable.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I've just had a text from a fellow commuter, and the 0630 Gatwick Express left Brighton on time...................

It's just got to Three Bridges !!!!!!

And has now been turned round and sent back to Brighton

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Took me 5 hours to get home last night. Was turned back at London Bridge so went to Victoria via King's Cross on the tube. Victoria was dangerously packed and so was told to get the tube to Brixton and then bus to Croydon. Waited 45 minutes for a bus and got on a Streatham one instead. Bus stopped halfway along Brixton Hill and the driver turfed everyone out. All buses in the area just kicked everyone off. No explanation. Walked to Streatham Hill Station and waited for and got on a train to Balham hoping to change for a train to West Croydon. Got off the cancelled train and was prepared to walk from Streatham to E Croydon station. Chanced my arm at Streatham station where there was a train heading to West Croydon. Walked to E Croydon station and got on a train to Eastbourne (eventually). Waited for 30 mins outside Purley (no explanation). Changed at H Heath for a Brighton train.

South London was covered in a thin layer of sludge. East Croydon was a bit worse but the roads were all clear of snow. Madness

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
This. It took me over four hours to get home from work tonight. It normally takes 2 and a half, office to home front door. And I pay over £4K a year for the privilege. Useless.

Jon, it took nearly 7 hours to get back - and that finished with a £20 cab from Brighton station back to Shoreham. I knew about the 2 broken down trains at 2 in the afternoon, so why it took around 6 hours to clear them is simply mystifying. It was easily my worst journey in 22 years of commuting, and I've had a few bad ones.

Yes, there was a reasonable amount of snow in places, when we went through South London it looked like about 8 inches, but it was an absolute farce, once again, by Southern. Communication is dire at the best of times, but they gave absolutlely no useful info out last night, zero, nada. Quite pathetic for the £3,688 I pay a year for the privaledge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here