Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Railway's BLOODY STUPID bicycle policy

Oct 25, 2003
we need to take a bloody great look at the dutch and we'll soon realise how stupid our transport planners are

edit- transport planning policy rather than the planners themselves

Last edited:

was in Annecy a couple of years ago, they run buses adapted to take cyclists, into them hills around Annecy..............................

we need to take a bloody great look at the dutch and we'll soon realise how stupid our transport planners are

met an urban planning consultant from Netherlands recently, they actually have mapped the Country so every citizen is within 300m of a cycling lane!!!!

Oct 25, 2003
met an urban planning consultant from Netherlands recently, they actually have mapped the Country so every citizen is within 300m of a cycling lane!!!!

yeah i was well impressed by the cycle lanes out there, they're bloody everywhere! plus they have integrated buses, trams and a subway system, and they're all controlled centrally so you can use, for example, a tram pass bought in amsterdam in rotterdam/utrecht/wherever the hell you like

we really are SHIT

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've cycled all over The Netherlands and they are way ahead of every other country I've cycled in. But it must be said that it really does help when the entire country is almost perfectly flat. That said, they have an entire cycle-highway network running parrallel to the roads. i.e. the cycle lanes are actually set well apart from the roads, with their own traffic lights and signs!

Very impressive.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
The best one I discovered (completely by accident) is that if you want a return ticket to Victoria without using the tube afterwards, it's actually cheaper to buy a return to Denmark Hill via Victoria. Ludicrous.

It lets you through the barriers. I've done it many times.
As you say, you can't change platforms (or even work out which one you need to go to) without going through the barriers first.

I discovered it after months of going to Denmark Hill twice a week and then having a meeting in Victoria and realising the ticket was more expensive. I thought I'd pressed the wrong buttons on the ticket machine at first.

Does this only work on weekdays?

Tried it out online for a Saturday journey and the opposite was true.

£13.5 to Victoria leaving Brighton 10 ish
£19 odd to Denmark Hill same time

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
the day of the London to Brighton bike ride, bikes are BANNED from trains:

And I have never done the bike ride since. What a bunch of small minded wankers run our trains these days

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
yeah i was well impressed by the cycle lanes out there, they're bloody everywhere! plus they have integrated buses, trams and a subway system, and they're all controlled centrally so you can use, for example, a tram pass bought in amsterdam in rotterdam/utrecht/wherever the hell you like

we really are SHIT

I guess that is because those running the transport systems are doing so with the traveller i mind whereas in England the transport system is run with profit in mind. Disgrace.

Here in Germany they have these wonderful things known as "good weekend tickets" which cost you 35 Euros and allow groups of up to 5 to travel anywhere in the country and to think i am coming back to England soon.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Make your minds up........... you are either rail passengers or cyclists..............

bloody troublemakers.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's all about the shouty pressure-group cyclists. If Southern Railway (and every other rail company) had it's way, there'd be no cycle spaces at all. Quite right too. Say every dormitory-dweller between BN1 and East Croydon turned up with a bike in the rush-hour. The whole system would fall apart the first time it happened. Hence no bikes on London To Brighton Bike Ride day. Stop being so selfish. Like the guy says, you're either a rail user or a cyclist.

I've cycled all over The Netherlands and they are way ahead of every other country I've cycled in. But it must be said that it really does help when the entire country is almost perfectly flat. That said, they have an entire cycle-highway network running parrallel to the roads. i.e. the cycle lanes are actually set well apart from the roads, with their own traffic lights and signs!

Very impressive.

Wonderful though cycling in NL is, they do not encourage you to put your bike on a train- with 50% of the population cycling, the train would need to be twice the size. Most stations have a cheap bike hire office and a HUGE bike park. If you are cycling touring you have to book and pay for a place for your bike in something like a Guard's van, whatever that is.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
I have to say that for once I agree with Southern. But they should go further. There should be no children, no suitcases, no happy people, no talking, definitely no laughing, no food, and only smart, clean, suited professional gentlemen should be allowed to use their trains between 6am and 9:30am and between 4:40pm and 12:00am - in case the aforementioned gentlemen wish to spend some time enjoying a brandy after work. Non qualifying peasant scum like cyclists should take the bus.

Say what you like about Il Duce. But he made the trains run on time.

bit of a myth that, the problem being he allowed bikes on trains, we all know that getting a bike into a goods train, especially when its already packed full of jews, communists or anarchists, takes a lot of time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here