Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Just to point out that the lies continue - my DOO train from Victoria to Brighton yesterday was announced as cancelled due to a shortage of train crew. As the crew was me and I was there it came as a bit of surprise.

I agree sh1tbags on both sides.

To win hearts and minds one party at least needs to be honest. Both are not.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You have to feel a bit for the RMT. The strike has become about as irrelevant as the current leader of the political party they tend to side with.

And of course cash by name...cash by nature...

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Just to point out that the lies continue - my DOO train from Victoria to Brighton yesterday was announced as cancelled due to a shortage of train crew. As the crew was me and I was there it came as a bit of surprise.

I am genuinely baffled by this, and rest assured that I have no axe to grind either way. I assume you are the train driver from this, and that you alone as the single staff member could have taken the train to Brighton. Is this reading correct? Yet, the whole dispute is about having a second member of staff on board, and if you were the only one, then the train could not have gone? Why would this be a surprise?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am genuinely baffled by this, and rest assured that I have no axe to grind either way. I assume you are the train driver from this, and that you alone as the single staff member could have taken the train to Brighton. Is this reading correct? Yet, the whole dispute is about having a second member of staff on board, and if you were the only one, then the train could not have gone? Why would this be a surprise?

I think @DD might be suggesting that 'management' have no clue what they are doing............? If so, that's not a surprise either.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
well you cant, because history.

so honestly, why would they do that? what is in it for them, there must be more to it than simple cancel a train to piss off the punters and blame... err Southern as its not a strike. and out of interest what do you do next, sit around to take another train, or the train becomes another service?

They had a stock change around and decided that the Brighton service could be cancelled. Normally I would then make my way to my next destination as best I can but obviously that is where other services are cancelled - i.e if I can't get back to drive my next trains whether that be to Seaford or Portsmouth or wherever then that would be cancelled too.
As it happened, with a bit of negotiation (and you may well ask why should I have to do it when the powers that be don't care) we sourced another train from the sidings and I took that one albeit very late. Believe it or not most drivers and guards do care about getting people to their destination.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
for those of you in London - Services from London Bridge to Littlehampton have cancellations already today.

17:40 cancelled
18:42 cancelled

Caught the earlier train and just been chucked off at Haywards Heath as there is suddenly no ****ing guard

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not surprised. Anyone who travels on a train from H Heath to the South Coast that doesn't have a guard on it is putting their lives at risk.

Yep. How on earth do people elsewhere travel without that extra ticket checking guy without bursting into flames?

A classic example of where Southern's proposal would work for the commuter.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes, have to agree. People who rely on the service far more than I do, say that the service even prior to the present dispute was not exactly brilliant, and questions really need to be raised about Southern's efficiency. However, that does not make the RMT right - they have been far too quick in the past to opt for disruption in pursuit of their aims, always managing to claim that passenger safety is a priority.

This is the problem as always with those who are as determined as ever to see matters their own way and put dogma before anything else. What a ridiculous statement.

You're funny. Accuse me of being blinded by dogma and yet the first opportunity you get and you're union bashing. So predictable.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
The RMT need to move into the 21st century! Time for them to disband I think.... if you are paying to be a member of this union, I feel sorry for you!

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
The RMT need to move into the 21st century! Time for them to disband I think.... if you are paying to be a member of this union, I feel sorry for you!
Move into the 21st century where people are working ever longer hours and people feel obliged to work through their unpaid lunchbreaks ? Where staff with cancer are being threatened with the sack for going sick more than twice in a year ?( Waitrose)
I'd imagine they are very happy to pay to belong to a union that actually has some clout and eventually could save their jobs.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thameslink seem to have come out in sympathy this afternoon, presumably as a warm-up exercise for the drivers strike. Cancelling the 02 AND the 05 from Brighton can't have been anything more than a premeditated action. Amazingly, Southern stepped into the breach and made additional stops at Haywards Heath and Gatwick. Fair play for once, cos otherwise a lot of people would have been severely stressing over making their flights. Seems like the stakes have now been UPPED.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
This is the problem as always with those who are as determined as ever to see matters their own way and put dogma before anything else. What a ridiculous statement.

You're funny. Accuse me of being blinded by dogma and yet the first opportunity you get and you're union bashing. So predictable.

Yes, exactly as I expected. Your post demonstrated precisely what I was saying; I specifically questioned the management's efficiency, as you well know, and then said that their apparent mismanagement did not make RMT's stance necessarily right. And what do you pick up on - I am union bashing. I have on several occasions stated that I am no expert on this, which no doubt applies to you as well, and with all the bluster, as ever, with bitter industrial disputes, it is often hard to sift fact from fiction, as both sides slant everything to make themselves look good. It is attitudes like yours, where you are only ever going to see matters through your rose-tinted glasses, which make it hard for folk to really work out what is going on, and more importantly, with such entrenched views, find a solution.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Move into the 21st century where people are working ever longer hours and people feel obliged to work through their unpaid lunchbreaks ? Where staff with cancer are being threatened with the sack for going sick more than twice in a year ?( Waitrose)
I'd imagine they are very happy to pay to belong to a union that actually has some clout and eventually could save their jobs.

It is reasonable to say that the existence of unions has clearly helped millions over the years, but do you not think that the rest of your post, whilst probably true for a few folk, might just be that shade exaggerated for the vast majority?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They had a stock change around and decided that the Brighton service could be cancelled. Normally I would then make my way to my next destination as best I can but obviously that is where other services are cancelled - i.e if I can't get back to drive my next trains whether that be to Seaford or Portsmouth or wherever then that would be cancelled too.
As it happened, with a bit of negotiation (and you may well ask why should I have to do it when the powers that be don't care) we sourced another train from the sidings and I took that one albeit very late. Believe it or not most drivers and guards do care about getting people to their destination.

thanks, i certainly beleive you and the guards do care about the service and passengers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here